1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of control

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kimi, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Kimi

Basically, I fucked up my sleeping pattern really really badly.

This is not something started yesterday or few weeks ago but I think it started about 2 or 3 years ago. Of course, back then It wasn't that bad.

I can't go to sleep at night.

I have been not able to go to bed when most of people go to bed. I know I should go to bed 11 pm ~ 1 am everyday but I ended up going to bed 4 am in the morning. And on weekends it only gets worse, I can't force myself to go bed until sun came up.

And it has been alright till few weeks ago but now it's messing everything up. I already blew up 3 appointment to dentist and missed my dad's return from China. Not mention how many times I missed dinner and made my mom angry.

So I think I'm asking you guys what should I do about it. I mean, I know what you guys thinking "WTF, just go to bed" but I don't know but I can't. I feel like I'm missing something big while I'm sleeping(I know that's ridiculous) and I stay up till 4 or 5 am and when I couldn't stay up, I go to bed. But I got to go school till 9 so I only get few hours to sleep and when I'm in the class I fall asleep(Now, that's where I'm missing something right?) and when I got back from school, I'm not sleepy because I sleep at school. And stay up till late again because I don't feel sleepy. On weekend, it's only get worse.

I don't wanna go see a therapist or anything...I mean, yeah.
    OK, getting long so I'll stop.

Thanks for reading.

2. Jim1454

What are you doing all those hours? What in the world do you think you're missing in the middle of the night?!?!

3. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

My big brother used to have this same problem when he was around your age too... I feel bad that I have no solution, but I don't think its as weird as you think it is. I'm not sure if his is even fixed but I'll ask my parents when I can =x

(he used to have to pick us up from school and he'd sometimes miss it cause he didn't wake up at 3 PM!)

4. acorn7

Wow, that's really intense... Teenagers usually have a different sleep cycle (go to bed later and wake up later if possible) but I guess your case is extreme.

I think you just have to break the cycle. If you're not able to go to bed earlier, wake up at like 8 tomorrow or another weekend. Force yourself to do stuff during the day and don't sleep. Hopefully around 10 PM you'll feel pretty tired and you can break your cycle. You can always talk to your family and make them force you to get up early so you can go to bed early too. If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can do it!

As a useful aside, here are some useful tips on how to fall asleep and have a relaxing night: http://www.rd.com/healthy-living/health/achieve-a-deep-uninterrupted-sleep/article.html

5. Astaroth

It sounds to me like your biological clock is set to night-owl. I'm the same way. For five years I had a graveyard-shift job and it was ideal for me because I could stay up all night and sleep through the day. I honestly think some people feel more at home during the night. Heck, last night I was up until 4:00 a.m. myself. There are two ways to fix your sleep cycle though. The first is to tire yourself before you want to go to sleep. Try taking a brisk walk or jog after dinner (or some other exercise). You'll feel endorphines for a bit, but then the food and the exercise will usually tire you out. The other way to try to fix it is to stay up for over 24 hours and don't go to bed until 10:00 p.m. or so whenever it comes around next. When I quit my graveyard job, I ended up staying up for thirty-one hours until I was exhausted. It did the trick, though. I slept all night and started feeling tired from then on around 11:00 p.m. nightly. Occasionally I have a late night, but it's rare now.

The mental thing is tricky, though. I also felt like sleep was a waste of time (and I still do). There were other things I wanted to do. Even at four in the morning, I would sit and surf through the channels and think about things in my life. It's kind of a special time, really. Few other people are awake then. Things are quiet. It's dark and peaceful. You almost feel alone, but in a good way usually. The trick is to realize that your just doing nothing useful most of the time. You need to try to convince yourself that if you sleep at night, you can use the day to be more productive. There are tons of things you can do during the day! And you can't do them if you're sleeping through it. That's what got me over the hump. You're afraid of wasting precious time when, in truth, your sleep time happens to be during the most useful part of the day.

Hope that helps!

6. CerahWright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    maybe you have insomnia (spelling?). i would talk to a doctor or force yourself to go to bed at 11pm, you don't have to sleep just stay in bed and don't do anything, eventually u'll fall asleep from boredom.

7. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You really need to do something about it. Unfortunately I don't know what advice I could give you, because I'm a bit in the same situation...just not as bad. I tend to stay up really late, until 4-5 am lately, especially on weekends or if I don't have to get up early the next day. If I stay up till 5 am and then I have to get up at 8, then I'll be really sleepy the next day and even if I sleep a bit during the day, I will go to sleep much earlier that day because I will be simply tired.

So my advice would be: if you go to bed really late, try not to sleep at school or sleep as little as you possibly can, and also don't sleep in the afternoon that day. Keep yourself awake until you can and then go to sleep. And sleep until the morning. If you get up around 8 am in the morning, after sleeping for aprox. 6-8 hours, you should feel tired and sleepy enough that day around 12pm-1am in order to falll asleep without any problems.

I hope you'll get better (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

8. chris211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you could try sleeping pills

9. Vampyrecat

Sleeping pills aren't that great for your body.
    Having been on them, is hard not to get addicted to them. I used to be exactly like that, but it got to the point where i was so emotional that I had to go on tablets. They only give out a week's perscription at a time because it can be dangerous.
    Anyways, I agree. Stay up for 24 hours or as long as you can and by the time 10pm rocks around you'll start sleeping like a baby at that time everynight.

10. s5m1

I screwed up my internal clock when I was in college by going out and partying all night. I would then go to sleep when others were just getting up. I missed lots of classes and nearly flunked out. What worked for me was just forcing myself to change my pattern and go to sleep when I should. It required a lot of self discipline. I would force yourself not to sleep during the day, say after 9 am at first and then a bit earlier. If you have been up all night, your body should be worn out so you can go to sleep at a normal hour. It may take a few days, but I think self-discipline is the key. If that does not work, perhaps see your doctor. I for one would never opt for sleeping pills because you may wind up dependant on them for sleep.

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Melatonin is a natural remedy that will make you sleepy. Our dear departed JayHew has even recomended it a time or two. Geez, what are we going to do without him?

12. Jonathan

You sound like my friend, she has trouble sleeping too. She usually gets only an hour or two of sleep per night.

13. Psychedelic Bookmarks

get up at a normal time, and do not under any circumstance let yourself fall asleep again, at school or home, until about 11. this should make you very very tired and unproductive for a day. then, when you go to bed, you should go out like a light. repeat until your body has got used to the new pattern. you just have to have extreme self discipline.

this is the cold turkey, and it works for me. :slight_smile: good luck with whatever you try.

14. Defraction

^^^ I agree. ^^^

I remember when I used to sleep from 12-7. It was bad for me, but I never felt tired until 12. I started going to bed at 10.30 and I always ended up waking up at like 5, because my body was used to the 7 hours sleep (I had an awesome habit of waking up 1 minute before the alarm went off :grin:) but I eventually grew out of it.

LOL, I used that extra hour to do something productive... like... coursework. xD Thank God I've got it all done now though. SORRY, OFF TOPIC. ¬_¬

But yeah, it sucks to ruin your sleep pattern, but it can be fixed easily as long as you have no sleep abnormalities like insomnia. Perhaps you could get yourself checked out for that.

15. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

Sounds like me, sometimes I'm up past morning from the night before. When it gets really bad I usually take a shot of nyquil and reset my clock. These forums aren't making sleeping any easier either :wink:

16. Kimi

Thank you so much for your help!!!! You guys are the best(*hug*) (*hug*)

So I have been doing what you guys told me to. Stay up during the day and go to bed 10 pm or 11 pm. And I'm still forcing myself to not stay up late and it worked.

Although I think I'll be out of control if I stop trying now. I had hard time not sleep during the day for obvious reason but I got through somehow. But the problem I got was that it's REALLY hard to not go to bed till 10. After I had ate my dinner I would go to living room to watch TV and I usually fall asleep 8 or 9 pm in the living room and woke up in the early morning like 2 or 3 am and couldn't go to sleep after that(although much better than going bed at 6 am and woke up 8 am). But it's getting better. I usually get sleepy around 10 or 11 these days. Which is good...even tho I kinda fucked up my graduation exams because I get sleepy after my dinner LOL

So again, thank you so much for all of your kind help:kiss: (*hug*)
    I'M GETTING BETTER SLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I did read everyone's post very carefully:slight_smile:

#16 Kimi, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I'm really pleased you are making real progress with this. Give it another 2-3 weeks and I'm sure it will become easier as your body-clock gets settled into this routine.

The important thing now is to stick with it, including at weekends and holidays. It is easy to slip into bad routines when you're on holiday and then have trouble getting back to a proper routine again. I always stick to the same sort of routine on weekends and holidays. I allow myself to go to bed an hour later and get up and hour or so later, but no more.