1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building biceps/arms

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Praetor, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Praetor

Hey, so really simple question. I am a very skinny guy and I also happen to have long arms, which is purely genetic and such. I don't really mind it too much, but I'd like to have thicker arms just cause it looks sorta twig-like lol.

I figure asking couldn't hurt, so any tips you guys have on building muscle in the biceps and other arm muscles would be appreciated. Preferably the simpler the exercise, the better. If it helps, I do have a workout bench for bench presses and weights (dumb bells and bar bells) that I sorta inherited.

I'm not really looking to become super muscular, just to add a bit to my arms (or upper body if it isn't possible to localize on just the arms).

Thanks...:icon_bigg

2. Flow

Biceps are one of the easiest areas to build muscle. The rate at which you gain muscle varies with diet, routine and genetics but all you really need is dumbbells. Just do curls.(Every motion for working out biceps is a curl motion) I would avoid barbells. They tend to make one arm do more work than the other.

Keep in mind that having developed biceps won't make your arm look that much bigger. IMO, your triceps is what makes your arms look larger. Your triceps develop at a much faster pace than your biceps. Dips, push ups, close grip bench, skull crushers, pull downs are a few things you can do to work on your tris.

Before starting a work out regiment, consult your doctor if it's safe for you to do so.

3. vyvance

You need to remember, when working on biceps, that it is in fact a two-headed muscle and not just one solid mass. As such, you have to things to work both of them for full effect.

If you go the dumbbell route, an easy way to work both is to simply rotate the dumbbell. Palm up for working one side more, and palm in (left facing right, right facing left) to work the other more.

Aside from just biceps, working forearms, triceps, and shoulders can all help "add a bit" to your arms.

P.S. I would avoid taking any "performance enhancing" drugs. My brother takes all that crap (minus flat out steroids), and has to take a ton of other crap to counter the side effects (like something to keep the extra testosterone he takes from turning into estrogen). Despite all that he takes, he still can't reach 160 lbs, just like before all the extra crap.

Just seems more of a hassle than its worth, not to mention expensive.

#3 vyvance, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  4. Salazar

I don't know if this is pertinent to your situation, but as you say you are skinny, don't just work your arms. If you just work your arms you'll be a really skinny guy with disproportionate arms. The best exercises are compound exercises, such as squats and pull/chin ups, which work multiple muscle groups. These are the best weight/muscle gain.

Like Flow said, exercises such as dips and skullcrushers work the triceps, increasing the size of the bicep/tricep area massively. Good luck, and I hope this helps!

5. Praetor

Hey, thanks everyone for the tips!

I'll look into trying to do some of those in my spare time, however little it may be since I'm starting uni again.

vyvance, I would not in a million years ever, ever do performance drugs or any of that stuff.

And Salazar, you may be right, but I also don't have a problem with being skinny, it's just the arms right now are disproportionately skinny-er lol. I guess working the general upper body may be a better idea, and many of these exercises seem to do that anyways.