1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad Oral Habit

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Romi, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Romi

So I have this bad habit of peeling the skin from my lips and the inside of my cheeks with my teeth whenever I'm really stressed. Obviously this is bad for all kinds of reasons. It leaves behind sore spots and blisters, makes it hard to eat, hurts, yadda yadda. Not to mention it hurts my teeth after a while, causing all kinds of sensitivity. I was just wondering if anyone else does this or if anyone can offer any suggestions on how to possibly curb this unruly habit of mine.

2. amigay

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey, I tend to do the same on my lips thought it was normal :/

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use to peel the inside of my lips a lot, but quit since it would hurt and leave it raw at times. I do however still bite the inside of my cheeks, lol. I've never gotten sores or hurt from doing that.

4. julia

Ugh, I do the same thing. The inside of my cheeks are disastrous. Chewing gum really, really helps.

5. Romi

See I used to chew gum in order to prevent this, but after a while that made my teeth just as sensitive. Also, after so long of chewing gum I would end up sick on my stomach, and I get nauseous enough on my own.

It might help to know that I have a bit of an oral fetish. I seem to always be chewing or gnawing on something. It's like I'm constantly teething. Haha.

6. I always peel my lip skin with my teeth and my lips are really tore up. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing it since I was a kid, not with my teeth but I'll sit there and nervously pick at my lips with my fingers which makes them look horrible. I don't even notice it most of the time.

8. SkyDiver

I was doing it as I clicked on this. :/

9. Romi

:eusa_doh: No bueno!

10. kc1895

Haha, same here!:eusa_doh:

11. Romi

Alright. So we've established that a lot of us, more than this I'm sure, have this nasty habit. But here's the thing....what can we do to kick it?

12. SamAlex728

Same. >_< As of right now, my lower lip is hating the hell outta me..

13. SkyDiver

Where's KaraBulut when you need him? :lol:

14. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I'm a really bad lip chewer... I used to peel but not so much now, I'm not sure why. Anyways, petroleum jelly works miracles for the dryness and sensitivity. Its a hard habit to stop. I used to bite my nails and pick cuticles constantly, too. But after my dentist told me that was why my teeth were so sensitive, I guess my subconsious caused me to stop or something like that... Anyways- yeah. Petroleum jelly. Liberally.:slight_smile:

15. Chrissouth53

I'd try petroleum jelly, too, but that won't help with inside your mouth.

If you can, buy one of those mouth guards that you can use for sports and wear it when you are most likely to be doing this (at your desk, in front of the TV, while on EC, etc...) to see if it can help you break the habit.

16. Romi

I've considered a mouth guard, but the thing is...I'd be wearing it all day long every day. That's how much of a problem this is becoming. :\ And my lips aren't the worst part. It really is the inside of my mouth. The only thing that seems to keep me from it is chewing ice and that's an even worse option. >_<

17. timo

Me too... argh.

18. IrishLad93

Yes I do this and my lips sting like hell a few days after words. With me its actually a small symptom of OCD like tendencies to 'help' myself deal with stress. It could be with you too, who knows.

You just need to catch yourself at it and remind yourself to stop ( I know its hard! )

Try the square breathing technique if you are stressed. Just picture a square in front of you and take deep breaths in and out (about 4secs) along the imaginary square you are picturing or any square object in front of you for that matter. Its been proven to lower blood pressure. Many tips tell you to go all out Buddha meditation but its not necessary, you can do it when your walking or driving etc.

Box Breathing Technique | LIVESTRONG.COM

19. Romi

O_O I never thought about it having anything to do with the fact that I'm OCD. Whoa, there's something to think about. Thanks for that insight.

20. PurpleCrab

Chicken broth.

You know, those travel coffee cups? Fill it with extra hot chicken broth. It's salted, full of good nutrients; will help to heal your mouth extra fast and will satisfy your oral needs. Sorta.

Also for extra fast healing, a used tea pocket inside the cheek, though that really don't taste/feel good and it's less practical than the cup in various places.

For long term, switch the chicken broth with other warm drinks. It has the added benefit of extra hydration and to fight off colds and flu (!)

It worked for me in college :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: