1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When I stand up...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zach12345, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Zach12345

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So every now and again when stand up and like put my arms up and stretch my vision goes like black for a second and I feel light headed and then my eyes hurt when I move them for like a couple minutes. Most the time it's like once every like 2 days but today it happened like 5 times and once I fell. I don't know if I should be concerned or not?:icon_sad:

2. alwayshope11

Recently, I have been feeling a bit light headed when I stand up and my vision goes black for a second too. I think a lot of it is due to my anxiety, on top of the fact that I've been dieting for a while. I've also recently lost a lot of weight, so I tihnk my body is adjusting to its new lightness. Try and drink lots of water, make sure you are eating good foods, and just try and relax.

3. Aldrick

I would say yes this is a reason to be concerned. I won't speculate as to what it could be, but you should see a doctor immediately without delay.

4. Bree

That's what happens when people say "whoa, head rush". It doesn't usually go completely black, but when it's bad it does. It can be worse if you're hungry or missing nutrients in your diet though.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is usually just a momentary drop in blood pressure. It is particularly likely when you've been sitting for a while and you haven't eaten recently, so your blood sugar is low. By standing up suddenly, you create a sudden demand for blood, blood pressure drops momentarily, and you feel faint.

For some reason, I think it tends to happen a lot more frequently during the teen years, though it can happen to anyone. Used to happen to me particularly when I'd forgotten to eat breakfast, and still happens if I go to the gym on an empty stomach and work out too hard.

As far as I know, it's nothing serious, but if you try getting up a little more slowly, and/or it isn't happening when you're on an empty stomach or otherwise low blood sugar, then I would get it checked out.

6. stumble along

Basically to put what chip said into a single sentence.
    You stood up too quick.
    It happens, not a problem, only a minor inconvenience.

I've been known to do it, fall /faint in a sarcastic/dramatic way, and just lay there for a few minutes because Damn it feels nice.

7. J Snow

I actually was just about to say this used to happen to me all the time back in high school, but I haven't noticed it in some years...

8. KaraBulut

9. DoriaN

Yeah what bree said, head rush.
    I haven't had ot in a long time, but as a gamer I would sit for long periods and then experience it.

It's normal unless it lasts for more than a minute.

If you're still concered just ask a doctor next time you're in.

10. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Go to the doctor. You could just be orthostatic (I am, and it sounds very similar to my symptoms) but it could be something else.

11. Life Is Peachy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's happened to me on occasion as well. A few times it goes all black and then out two of those few times I started shaking really badly and couldn't stop for a while. One time I ended up on the ground shaking, not really aware of what was going on but feeling myself shaking and then the other I had just gotten up and then I started to move, felt faint, fell onto my chair and started shaking a bit.

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah happens to me when i sit for a long time, and stand up quickly.

13. DoriaN

Everyone can be orthostatic, its simple the act of too much blood pooling into the legs.

14. alwayshope11

What are some things u can to do help with orthostatic hypotension?

15. DoriaN

Move as much as possible.

16. babyjax13

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hydration. If your blood pressure is low AND you have orthostatic hypotension your doctor may have you take salt tablets (the same ones used for heat prostration).

The way my doctor explained it to me was that some people's nerves(?) around their blood vessels don't contract when they stand up and it causes lowered blood pressure...it's really not a big deal, though, but something like this could result from something else (which is why I say go to your doctor).

17. alwayshope11

Can this be caused by stress and anxiety?

18. Phantosmiac

I get this all the time. My vision doesn't go black and my eyes don't hurt, but my vision does go yellow then purple, so much so that I can't see, but it happens to a lot of people, they just don't usually talk about it much so it seems weird.

19. alwayshope11

I seem to have this and I'm pretty sure it's caused by a combo of stress, anxiety, extreme weight loss, etc. I will mention it to my doc next time I go, but is it something I need to get checked out ASAP??