1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Period question? TMI ALERT.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Butterthecat23, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Butterthecat23

Well.....

I have had problems in the past couple of months with self harming myself. And before you go on and on about that, I'M WORKING ON IT. But more to the point, I read somewhere that it takes two months to replace the red blood cells (I can't remember the right name for it- they're the donut shaped ones). Well, I have sickle cell trait, so two thirds of mine are shaped like fish hooks. And..... I just started my period, and I am abnormally heavy, and it is especially painful this time. Should I be worried?

2. th3wallflow3r

for now I don't think you need to worry too much.
    its OK for You to have Or or two periods more abnormal to your normal.
    it can br caused through stress and many other things.
    you mentioned that you have been self harming? I'm guessing that you are stressed so that may be why you are feeling more discomfort than normal.
    I know when my emotions are all over yhe place that I suffer more than normal.

for now I would suggest taking aspirin or paracetamol.
    perhaps put a hot water bottle where it hurts.

if it happens for a few months in a row then I suggest seeing your doctor.

3. KaraBulut

You should contact your doctor.

It's not usual for women with sickle cell or sickle cell trait to have painful periods. Motrin, heating pads and rest are recommended.

But if you are having unusually heavy flow, you should contact your physician. You may need to have a blood count done to determine if you are anemic and your physician may also want to examine you to ensure that you are not at risk for sickle cell crisis.

4. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well unless you're exhibiting any of the symptoms listed in the link, then I'm sure you're fine.

The human body has, on average, 10 pints of blood. You can safely lose 3 to 4 pints before you pass out and die. Menstrual cycles, no matter how heavy, will not cause you to lose nearly that much blood. I've donated blood (they take 1 pint) while on my period and was fine.

5. Kann

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should definitely talk to your doctor. I think you'll be okay. Your body knows about how heavy of a period that it can have.. But, nevertheless, I'd contact my doctor.