1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

err Blackouts?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Vampyrecat, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Vampyrecat

Hey everyone.
    I meant to post this the other day after it happened, but I forgot so here goes.

I was at work on saturday night (australia day) and I blacked out, but not fully. And I can feel the black outs coming. Like, my neck feels all tight and weird for about 20 minutes before it and sometimes it goes away, and sometimes it just gets stronger and stronger until I'm almost gagging (that's what it feels like, being choked and gagged at the same time) and then my ears start ringing and I get tunnel vision and huge black spots in front of my eyes.
    And my stomach realy hurts, like I'm going to throw up or pass out.
    Then my vision went all funny, like, it went all grey, and then everything went into a kind of heightened colour for a second.
    and then afterward I had a killer headache for about two hours. Needless to say my boss sent me home.
    But this is the second times its happened now in a month. well third really, cos it happened twice in 20 minutes last time. And both times have been at work.
    Its not like I haven't fainted before. I'm a little prone to it actually. I've fainted in the bathroom at home and I've fainted at school. But I've never had blacked out like this before. I was all shaky afterward for about 15 minutes.

Any ideas on what's causing it? My work friend is diabetic and she thinks it could be diabetes, but I don't think it would be because I eat really healthily. And I wasn't hungry cos I ate before work. And it wasn't low blood pressure because I was moving around. I wasn't thirsty, I had a bottle of water right next to me. I have no idea, but I'm actually starting to get a little freaked out. I think my body is against me or something. I love it, but its times like now that make me a little impatient.

2. biisme

i personally do not know what could be causing this, but i stronly urge you to go see a doctor. immediately.

3. CerahWright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dehydration- it happened to me when i was in tae kwon do. All you need to do is drink more water, not pop or anything. Drinks with electrolytes are good too, but Gatorade and Powerade upset my stomach so I don't drink them. If it ends up not being dehydration (I think it is it sounds exactly like it) go the doctor get tested for diabetes and go on from there. I really think its just dehydration though.

4. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

A few things come to mind, hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) a variant of migraine headache, possible aneurysm or tumor. Because of the onset symptoms over a 20 minute period of time or so and the various symptoms prior to passing out makes me think migraine but could be a low blood sugar episode too.

Regardless of what might now be the cause, this needs to be checked out as black outs from such things are not common and can indicate a rather dangerous underlying problem. Seek out a neurologist or at least see your GP who can refer you on. This should be checked out and soon.

5. TriBi

Well - Jayhew is the Doctor - but my immediate thought was migraine too.

I once thought of migraine as just being hugely bad debilitating headaches - but it can manifest itself in different ways and a very close mate of mine gets the exact same symptoms you describe. He has also blacked out before - and on another occasion one had his wife so worried that she called me and I took him to emergency - some of the symptoms he was experiencing resembled those of someone having a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack - like a mini stroke).

I have known him for years, and these things usually seem to be his reaction to times of high stress. After the time I took him to emergency, we nagged him into getting a full check up - and everything was OK and the diagnosis was 'definitely migraine'. I should also mention, apart from these occasional migraines, he is as fit as they come.

I would still suggest you check with your own Doc - and let him know what you have experienced and have him check you out - better safe than sorry. :slight_smile:

6. Vampyrecat

Okay, I went to the doc's taking everybody's good advice.

The verdict:
    Being a thin person with very low blood pressure.

cos he took my blood pressure sitting down, then made me stand and he took it again and apparently it dropped quite quickly. and I'm about 53kg (I think that's around the 110-115 lbs mark) so I'm not a big person.

He said to just go for a walk before going to work to get my blood pressure up to what would be in the normal range, then make sure to keep hydrated and move around a lot at work.

He did say that if I started getting migraines to come back straight away just in case its something more serious.

But for now I'm in the clear. yay! Thanks for all the help guys.

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hun that doesn't sound too good at all. I really suggest you go see a doctor ASAP. I'm sure it could be fixed quickly rather than you having to go through all this.

8. TriBi

Oh that's funny - I have the "low blood pressure" thing...have had head spins many times (if I stand up too quickly), but only ever blacked out once...it's just the result of having naturally lower than normal BP combined with a low resting pulse rate (years of endurance sport).

From what you described (neck tightness, vision problems, headache etc) it sounded more like migraine...Oh well - just glad you're OK. :slight_smile:

9. Louise

I think you might be my daughters long lost twin sister who was shipped to Australia at birth. :lol: I took Lottie to the doctors last week, she has very low blood pressure, dizzy spells and all that and is now on a two month treatment to sort out the problem.

The doctor told her that this can often happen to girls your age if they are tall and slim and that normally it sorts itself out with time.

10. Astaroth

Yeah, it sounds like what I used to have back in high school. The day we had to run "the mile" on the track, it was a cold day and I hadn't eaten or drank anything beforehand, which was silly in retrospect. The mile run wasn't all that bad. However, after we had finished, we all gathered in a group to listen to the PE teacher tell us about the next activity. I was standing on the edge of the cement track when things started going wonky. My ears started to ring first and everyone's voices dimmed to a murmur. Then my vision went vivid for a moment before turning almost black and white. Then it just turned black completely. I remember feeling something hit my face while in the darkness. In seconds, I was awake again. I'd fallen face-first onto the track and scraped my face pretty bad. The rest of the class was dropped (which a lot of kids thanked me for :lol: ) to help me get back on my feet. Half way across the field it almost happened again, and I fell to my knees.

It was one of the scariest feelings. I had absolutely no control over my legs. They were like water. The verdict for me was: dehydration and low blood pressure. Sound familiar? The easiest way to fix it quickly is to drink a Gatorade to get electrolytes and water in your system ASAP. And make sure you also keep good tabs on your blood pressure too! I let that slip thinking I was okay and ended up getting three bloody noses in a week thereafter, one right in the middle of a speech in front of the entire class! :eek:

Hopefully your fix is just as simple.