1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celexa?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Jan 30, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Does anybody know anything about this drug? I have been pretty weepy lately and I'm wondering if it could help me. After losing my friend yesterday, then I found out my little daycare baby is leaving me whom I have become very attached to. I felt very saddened by the death of Heath Ledger. Its just a number of things all piling up together and I'm having trouble not crying all the time. Plus, I'm very worried about our Alex here!

Somebody recomended it on another group I'm on. Has anybody taken it?

2. Louise

I am really sorry that you are having a hard time at the moment. It is amazing how bad things all seem to come at once and overwhealm you (*hug*)

I have not heard of Celexa but I do use and recommend Rescue Remedy, you can look it up on the internet. It has been invaluable to me over the last few years. It is specifically for calming the nerves when faced with emotional trauma or overwhealming emotional crisis.

I went to England last week for my aunt's funeral armed with several bottles of Rescue Remedy which I handed out liberally to my mum and my two cousins.

From my experience after taking this remedy you feel like a sort of inner calm, that which had you sobbing minutes ago seems one step removed so that you can cope with it instead of feeling that it is taking you over.

This is not a drug, it is a herbal remedy of several different plants (Rock rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem and Cherry plum) in homeopathic doses in an alcohol base, you spray two squirts onto your tongue and then let it do it's thing.

I hope this will help you a bit, I have often been in a state of uncontrolled weeping, seeing no issue and feeling overwhealmed. You can get through this, you are strong and brave , even if you don't feel very strong or brave at the moment, you are (*hug*)

3. panda

Becky , I take Celexa. It's effective for anxiety and depression.It's a long term medication taken by prescription from a psychiatrist, usually in conjunction with therapy to alleviate the cause of the anxiety/depression.It takes a week to ten days to start working.
    I am not a doctor, but it is not a quick fix medication.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you as you go through these painful times.Remember that this too shall pass.

4. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Becky, I don't take Celexa, but I do take Zoloft, which is a prescription medication for anxiety and depression. Like Panda said, these are long term medications, and they do take a few weeks for your body to become accustomed to them and start working.

You could make an appointment with a psychiatrist and see what he/she recommends. Possibly just talking to a therapist might help you.

((((((((Hugs to you))))))))

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I don't really want to take anything longterm. Maybe I'll try the natural stuff and see if that helps. I should probably make an appointment with my therapist too.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The Rescue Remedy product Louise mentioned (or an equivalent available there) sounds like what you need. A sort of quick-fix when you need it rather than an ongoing treatment.

There is some info here http://www.rescueremedy.co.uk/about_whatisrescue.htm which may help you match it up with a product available in your area.

I think an appointment with your therapist would be a good idea too.

(&&&)

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well I think something that tastes like Brandi and contains alcohol probably isn't such a good idea in my profession either but I will try to find something. Even if I do go for a prescription, one of my daycare parents is my pharmacist! I'm doomed to tears the rest of my life! Hey, that made me smile. :slight_smile:

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  9. Jim1454

I'm taking Effexor (I think that's how it is spelled) and it has made SUCH a difference in my life I can't believe it. I'd be quite happy to take it the rest of my life.

I'm not sure if that will be necessary, but there don't seem to be any side effects (at least not for me) and it really works.

If you've got this far in your life without it though, then perhaps it's not required. Are you getting enough rest? I'm always more emotional when I'm tired. Too many hours on EC?!?

I hope you find something that works for you though. Good luck.

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I'm getting plenty of rest. I'm not getting any excercise though due to bad weather. That could be making me feel worse than usual. Hopefully the weather is going to get better so I can get back to my walking routine.

11. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, I'm sorry you're having a hard time..there doesn't seem to be anything I can say except for the stuff that's already been said, and I'm all for the therapist idea. Hopefully things will get better soon. :slight_smile:

12. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Same. U cant be sad ! Ur like our second mom. As for my mom...i dont care about her lol. But for you maybe listening to music relaxing? And just taking it slow for sometime might be good for you and help you get back to norm

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    It's true. Mom's can't be sick and now they can't be sad either. :roflmao:

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Drop a few drops of St. John's Wart in a drink if you're looking for a natural form of medicine. It is (arguably) the 'antidepressant' of the plant world.
    Although it is (obviously) not as powerful as drugs, it has been show to decrease anxiety and sustain good cheer in minor to mild cases.

My local natural health store has it, so i can't imagine why a store near you wouldn't carry it.

Best wishes Becky. (*hug*)

#14 Proud1p4, Jan 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2008
  15. silversurfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been seeing a phsychiatrist well actually 4 in 5 years doesn't help me, but I've been on every anti-depression drug they can give me, I'm on Seroquel, Lithium, and Clonzapam.

I tried Celexa didn't do anything for me, oh ya, and Wellbutrin that I stopped taking myself haven't told the doctor yet, not recommmended to come off something yourself. I have also read that if you cry you're showing healthy emotions it's when you stop crying and don't feel better that's the problem.

Find a Doctor to talk to or a good friend, maybe Celexa is for you, maybe not, if you take it it doesn't mean you have to take it forever, that's a misconception alot of people have.

Sorry don't know who Alex is.

16. 24601

Well, just to say what other people have said, if it's a temporary thing antidepressants are probably not the answer.

If it's not... then...

Effexor is generally not the greatest thing to start on. It's an SNRI which is like a combination of SSRI's like Prozac and Zoloft and NRI's like Wellbutrin/Bupriopion (SSRI = Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor, NRI = Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor, SNRI = you guessed it, Seretonin/Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor). It's fairly weird that Jim had no side effects what-so-ever, and also pretty lucky for him. Generally, you'd start on a low dose of one of the SSRI's or NRI's (depending on preference, I guess, NRI's generally have less side effects but are sometimes less effective, but they also usually prevent weight gain, whereas SSRI's sometimes make it easier to gain weight).

If you think you might want to go on an antidepressant, but are not quite sure if it will make a difference or you don't know which one to take, your doctor can generally prescribe a very low dose of any of the above for you to use for a few weeks (like 150 mg for extended release NRI which is like nothing - I think dosages for SSRI's are a lot less but I'm not 100% sure).

Also, have you tried/are you on vitamin supplements or have a balanced nutritious diet? Often times, it helps, as does the walking/running you mentioned. I wouldn't go to antidepressants unless there's no other path.

Hope you feel better soon :slight_smile:

17. twister

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i've used anti-depressants for several years but, never celexa. there is another natural remedy i've used in the past though- St. John's Wort. You can find it pretty readily in drug stores, "mart" type stores... in with vitamins and other supplements. supposedly the type you can buy at a supplement store (GNC type place) is better as it is purer (if that's a word). something to consider...

i hope things get better for you soon! twister

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am feeling better and not quite so emotional now. I don't think I'll be needing the Celexa. :slight_smile:

19. panda

Thanks for the update.Glad you're feeling better.:grin:

20. panda

As another thought,as you know, exercise is a great mood lifter.