1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wisdom teeth?! D:

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RemyLeBeau, Sep 27, 2012.

1. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

Okay, so in a few hours (11 to be exact) I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed. I'm REALLY nervous about this. Like, it's 3AM and I can't make myself sleep nervous.

What's going to happen to me?! Am I gonna get sedated? How long will it hurt? Will I be able to eat? I'm scared... :icon_redf

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all likelihood, you'll be completely sedated well before it even begins, and you won't remember a thing. You probably won't even remember leaving. They'll likely give you vicodin - if it does hurt, that will take care of it. As for food, you'll be able to eat ice cream, warm soup, yogurt, that kind of stuff. Ice cream will lose its appeal after a few days, but just vary the flavors.

All you really need to do is follow their directions to the letter to make sure you heal okay, and you'll be fine. :slight_smile:

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, you will be completely sedated. I had mine taken out years ago. I got Vicodin and Ibuprofen for pain. It's really not bad at all. You'll be fine.

4. Clown

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm lucky to have room for mine.
    I'm sorry to hear though. I personally have a HUGE fear of surgery for some reason.
    Even though I can't take my own advice, you'll be okay. Before you know it, it'll be over.
    Just try and take it easy; hopefully the painkillers will help.

5. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I had to have a huge birthmark removed from my face in 8th grade and talked all the way through that, but teeth just seem more rooted in...

At least I can do school work this late...

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes you will probably sleep through the whole thing, so you won't notice anything. I had one tooth taken out through surgery, and because it was just one I wasn't asleep, they just gave me a local anesthetic, and I literally didn't feel a thing. Let alone if you're asleep :wink:

Afterwards it can hurt, but they'll give you strong painkillers that will make the pain go away (and make you very very sleepy!)

7. jvn95

You'll be all good.

I had all 4 of mine taken out. You'll get a shot, pass out, wake up feeling friggin awesome, go home, go to bed, wake up numb, then eat ice cream!!!

you'll be sore for about a week, just keep ice packs on it constantly and take ibuprofen.

They gave me Hydros to keep the pain down, but I had to use over the counter stuff because I took a huge hydro and felt nothing :/

Sooo. Ice packs, ice cream, ibuprofen first and second day. Third day, try some soup. Fourth, same, unless you feel you can chew. fifth, you should be pretty okay to chew.

And after a week, you'll be okay.

After a month or two, the wounds will be nice and healed.

I cannot stress the ice packs more though. PLEASE do that, it will help so much with swelling and pain. I went about 2 hours without one the 3rd day cuz I thought I'd be okay, nooope. I swelled like a balloon and got super red, it even spread to my eyes and made them blood red! wth.

8. Noir

I know someone who had his wisdom teeth removed and is a big baby about pain--he showed up to work the next day like it had never even happened! It's possible that I might need mine out, so everyone was reassuring me that it's not big deal.

Don't worry, you'll be just fine!:thumbsup:

9. Aquilo

You'll be fine ; )

Mine were removed in 2 sessions with a local anesthetic and I didn't feel any pain. Afterwards I had ibuprofen and ice packs, which both reduce swelling and inflammation. Start cooling as soon as possible, the second time I started cooling within an hour and I didn't have much trouble (apart from only eating things like soup and such for a week).

Really avoid getting hot (sunbathing is a no-no), drinking alcohol or having much physical exercise as this might cause more swelling which causes pain and can be dangerous.

10. Zontar

In like 99% of dental extractions, you don't necessarily need to be sedated.

If you're worried about not being sedated, almost every oral surgeon recommends and performs it.

I'll be having one out in the next few months and my personal plan is Ensure for like a week. I don't think you need to go that extreme though.

11. Flow

When I had mine removed, I wasn't sedated. I was given an anesthetic and if I still felt pain, they would inject more. It was a bit nerve wracking because I could hear them drilling/breaking the teeth. You'll be fine!

12. prism

[It's cool if this is TL;DR]

They should have given you specific instructions on what and what not to do.
    Don't eat for 3-4 hours before the surgery. You're not supposed to have anything in your stomach. Use Google to find the specifics!

I went into the surgery expecting to be sedated with anesthesia, but I was actually given rohypnol, the active drug in roofies. As long as you're sedated, you'll be fine. You're a little loopy when you wake up, so make sure someone is able to take you home.

I had three wisdom teeth removed at once last year (the fourth was removed the year before). I felt virtually no pain the first night; I was actually able to go out with my friends that night. ASK FOR EXTRA PAINKILLERS AND GAUZE! I ran out of gauze to put in my mouth (to soak up the blood) and I wish they had given me more painkillers. I felt very little pain overall. Like I said, Google it and find out what kinds of food you can eat.

13. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Got most of it covered in previous posts. One more detail in case the dentist or assistant doesn't mention it in post-op care tips, for the first few days avoid drinking out of straws and/or smoking if you do smoke), because it can loosen the clots and cause bleeding of the gums at the extraction site - same for anything that brings up your blood pressure in first day or so (skip the gym that day). And if you want to go all tough and no meds after, don't skip the ibuprofen because its job is also to reduce swelling/inflammation, not just the pain. I had two taken out (individually, without being put under) and it's a bit annoying first few days but not a huge deal. And a good excuse for marathon viewing of your favorite funny series :wink:.

14. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I was a huge baby about it, even after my girlfriend calmed me down. I cried and struggled, but I couldn't remember anything after "Oh god there's a needle in my arm!! AND PLEASE TAKE THE SQUEEZY THING OFF! Oh my god, let's just make this even MORE AWFUL and play Nickelback!"

And then suddenly I was home, cuddled on the couch with gauze in my mouth. It hurts like a motherfucker, and apparently I texted my girlfriend in a post sedation haze. I don't remember that though. "we7re dating? I love you" she found it hilarious, gaaaah. Im just glad we really WERE dating.

I'm going to bed now, thanks for the advice! I've been taking it! Hehehe, moms making me eat ice cream and sleep...

15. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had mine out 2 years ago, yes you will be knocked out, you'll feel numb at first the first week is going to be crap, you won't be able to eat much, I'd make sure you are stocked up on soft foods, Eggs, soups, and such.

A few days after your face is probably going to swell up and yeah it's gonna hurt some. The oral doc will give you some anti-septic stuff (which tastes like crap) to wash your mouth out with.

Just make sure you keep the holes clean until they close up. Yes there will be blood.