1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to cut back on drinking from so many times a week to every few weeks

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by everett, Sep 30, 2012.

1. everett

I could really use some advice on this as I want to be able to feel in control of my drinking again. My family does have alcoholism and while I am not getting out of bed every day and drinking every hour, I do feel as though its getting bad and believe I may have a problem. Any advise would be great.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Everett.

You probably aren't going to want to hear what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway: There is a strong genetic component to alcoholism, and so if you have it in your family, particularly in more than one family member, it is very unlikely you will be successful in being able to drink moderately. The overwhelming majority of people who have problems with alcohol use and come from alcoholic families find they are not able to mediate use and must abstain completely.

Can you talk a little bit more about what your alcohol use patterns are? What are you drinking, how often, and how many days out of a week, and out of a month? That will help us to give you more insight into your particular situation.

3. everett

Mkay, well often I drink with friends, at least 4 to 6 drinks, while here and there I drink a little by myself 1 to 3 drinks. I only do if after 5 in the evening or late at night, making an effort to sober before I go to bed. Some cases it will be I wont drink for weeks and then all of sudden do drinking every 4 to 6 days sometimes for week straight. I never really care about being drunk more so that I enjoy the taste and never do anything to harm others. I refuse to drive even if I have had one drink, and I never drink myself into a blackout state.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm.

Well... how often do you drink with friends? How many days a week, and how many weeks a month?

First, I'll say that a large percentage of people your age probably drink as much as you're describing on an occasional basis. But then again... I've learned to ask the question "what is a drink" because I once had someone tell me they only had two drinks per night, but they were 24 ounce Long Island Iced Teas, and half of one of those would knock many people on the floor :slight_smile:

The bigger issue I see is the pattern toward bingeing, and I do think there's a bit of denial going on with the "I never care about getting drunk but just enjoy the taste", as that's one of the most common excuses alcoholics use.

Additionally, there are plenty of 'functional alcoholics' who don't drink to blackout, don't drive drunk, don't cause problems for others. So my concern is that you seem to think you have a problem, and if you are concerned, you probably do.

One suggestion I'd make is to set a boundary for yourself. Tell yourself you'll go the next 3 or 4 months without any alcohol (I'm suggesting that long because you've already said you can go for weeks, so I'm intentionally suggesting a longer period than the maximum you would normally go.) And notice what happens as you do that. If you find yourself actively waiting for, yearning for, and imagining the next time you can drink... you have a problem. If the time goes by and you don't think about it hardly at all... then you probably don't have a big problem.

But given the history in your family, you are at much higher risk than someone who doesn't have the family history, so my best advice would be to start now and work toward finding other activities instead of drinking to do with your friends, because the disease (and alcoholism is considered a disease by most mental health professionals) is progressive, so if you don't nip it now, it's likely to be a lot more problematic over time.

5. Rose

Hi

Firstly, it is a couageous step to recognise that you may be developing patterns of unhealthy drinking. You've had good honest advice in my opinion. Trying boundaries is a good idea. Perhaps you won't mind me sharing my own experience here?

Three years ago I was well aware that I was drinking too much, regularly drinking 2/3 bottle wine after work and more at social occasions. There is a history of alcoholism in my family and I was scared of where I was headed. At the time I was also deeply concerned about my Mum's drinking.

Rather than abstain completely I set a very clear boundary of my Government's recommended maximum no of units per week. As a woman, for me that amounted to one bottle 12% wine over a week. For a while I stuck to this religiously, ensuring I spread it out and did not binge.

Since that time I have only exceeded that limit on one or two occasions, such is my fear of alcoholism and now I rarely drink at all. For example, the last time was one small glass wine with a dinner over a week ago.

I know I will always have to watch my drinking closely. I feel it easier to not drink at all but I am still able to enjoy it moderately on occasion. I am an addict- an ex smoker, an ex workaholic. The only way for me to be truly free from addiction is to face what I have been avoiding. I used to love drinking but I know my life is better without it.

Your story belongs to you and you alone will walk your path but there are many people who will help you to find your way. Some people turn to programmes like AA to stay sober. I know people whose lives have turned around as a result. I think I managed to get out of trouble before hitting the rock bottom that drives many people to join 12 step programmes like AA.

There is a wealth of info online about degrees of problem drinking. I'm sure some honest self reflection and reading up a bit will help you to figure out what action to take.

Take care,

Rose

#5 Rose, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012