1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

an I train myself to stay sober longer while drinking and how much is enough?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Night Rain, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Night Rain

I have some questions regarding drinking in addition to yours. Can I train myself to stay sober longer while drinking and how much is enough?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Moved the above post into its own thread to avoid hijacking the other poster's thread.)

3. Night Rain

Oh, sorry, and thanks. Can you change the title too?

4. BudderMC

I'm confused. Is it that you're looking to cut back from drinking, or you're looking to have a greater tolerance for it so you can drink more without getting hammered as quickly?

5. Night Rain

That was the other thread by another poster. Chip just did what he said and didn't change the title hence the confusion.
    It's the latter. :slight_smile:

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm. You indicate that you are Asian, and I know that a lot of Asian and aboriginal people lack a certain enzyme involved with alcohol metabolism, so if you're in that category, there really isn't anything you can do. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "how much is enough."

One of my friends who has some aboriginal ancestry simply has no tolerance. One or two drinks and he's plastered, so he simply can't drink very much or very often, and attempts at building tolerance have failed miserably.

But, honestly... why does it matter? Any reason you can't just have one or two drinks and then switch to non-alcoholic drinks?

7. ameliawesome

I don't see the problem with that. You'll save money for one thing, and drinking less is obviously better for your health. I wish I could get drunk on less drinks. Why exactly do you want to consume a higher quantity of alcohol if a smaller quantity affects you enough?

8. Night Rain

I mean how much alcohol is considered safe (for health). I think I can take 1 or 2 drinks without getting tipsy.

I'm not sure how much will get me drunk since I've never been drunk.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to prepare myself in case I have to drink a lot of alcohol. I think it's awesome when you're sober and everyone else is drunk. Also, I dislike the taste of alcohol very much...

I hear that red wine is supposedly good for your health if you consume at a moderate level. So I'm thinking of taking 1 cup every day.

9. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then... 1 or 2 sounds like a good number :slight_smile:

Well that's a bullshit reason if ever I heard one. Short of someone kidnapping you and threatening to kill your family if you don't drink a ton of alcohol, I can't imagine a circumstance where one would have to drink *any* amount of alcohol.

That's marketing by the wine council, mostly. The beneficial effects of wine are found just as much in non-alcoholic grape juice. It's cheaper and better for you :slight_smile:

10. Night Rain

Oh sure. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I've always prided myself on being a non-smoker and a non-drinker.

:lol: That could happen. Someone could try to get me drunk in order to force the truth or some secret out of me (or do some nasty things to me...).

Grape juice won't do because it has too much sugar in it. So water it is, then, and perhaps some fresh grapes.

11. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe there are nutritional supplements, made from grape juice extract, containing the beneficial constituents of wine/grape juice if you want to get those benefits without drinking the wine or juice :slight_smile: