1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6 month training plan

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Dr Acula, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Dr Acula

Hi all,

I need a 6 month training plan in order to run a half marathon in March. I've agreed to do it with work.

Background on me - I ran a half marathon in September last year, but in a time of 2h5m. Ideally I want to be 1h45m or under this time, and I know the course is harder. I know roughly what I need to do, but don't know how to keep the motivation.

I really want to lose a few pounds (I'm 143lbs or so) and get back to 135 as I was last Summer, so need to get fit and get skinny.

Any tips?

2. suninthesky

To lose a few pounds, increase your mileage (safely) and eat the same amount you were before. That'll create a slight calorie deficit, but you'll still have energy to train. Try eating fruits and veggies to feel fuller and get nutrients - I snack on apples if I get hungry and avoid having two of the same kind of food in one meal (ie pasta or pizza, but not both).

Workout ideas are mile repeats, kilometer repeats, tempo runs, progression runs, fartleks, hills, and minute workouts (ie 2 minutes race pace, 2 minutes running, repeated)

Make sure to quickly get a recovery snack (protein + carbs) asap after workouts, or your hard work will not mean much.

Please, please, please, look into good running form. Find it on the internet, learn it, know it, watch videos of it, and start correcting your form (if it needs it, and virtually all runners can improve their form somehow). Running around barefoot on grass for a few minutes will give you a fantastic idea of how you should be running all the time. Since you're a guy, you might not have this problem, but make sure your swinging arms are forward, not crossing your chest. Good form can drop your time by a lotlotlot.

If you have the time/energy maybe try adding two core/arm strength sessions a week. Since you're running a long distance, you're not looking to build huge muscles, but rather lean, not very fatigue-able ones. I'd do planks (prone and side), pull ups, push-ups, etc. If you work a muscle, make sure to exercise it's antagonist too to keep your musculoskeletal system balanced.

As for the motivation.. having a variety of workouts will help that. Try alternating running easy, hard, easy, hard, etc. Make each hard day a different workout, like the ones listed above.

To keep myself occupied, I usually take the running time to think about things that are bothering me. I go over situations, trying to remember as much detail as I can, and alternate endings for conversations or conflicts I might have had. Sometimes I think about a controversial topic and reason my opinion out, and then try to see the topic from another perspective. Sometimes I like to imagine what my life will be like in a few years, down to the specific detail, or what I might be doing at a certain time the next day.

If you don't feel like running, don't. The worst thing you can do is stress about hitting a certain mileage every weeks, or run hard when you're already tired. If you need a break, bike, swim, or go on a walk/hike. If you feel yourself getting bored, plan a special trip to a new trail, or think about a place in town you like to go to and run to it. Sometimes using running as a transportation method can make it more exciting.

Lastly, every time you see yourself in the mirror, tell yourself that you are strong, fit, and excited to get faster.

You probably already knew most of this, but I thought I'd put it down anyway. If you need any specific workout ideas, feel free to PM me! =)

3. Dr Acula

Minute workouts seem like quite a fun idea actually. I've never done intervals either, but I've heard a lot of people raving about them.

Having only just got back I'm planning 3x 3 mile runs Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday during the week after work (little and often) followed by a longer run around 6-8 miles on a Sunday, then gradually increasing these until I'm happily running 10/11 miles on a Sunday.

I also plan on taking up swimming for the toning aspect. I feel really self-conscious in the gym as I'm not there to get ripped, so I only ever lifted lighter weights etc.

Thanks for all the advice though - much appreciated :slight_smile: