1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can you get mono twice?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GreenRaven, Oct 5, 2012.

1. GreenRaven

i had mono back when i was 18, freshman year of college and all that fun stuff....but i remember always being so tired...it was the bane of my existence.

these days i've been getting more and more tired and i keep feeling like "oh maybe the cold is almost gone" and then i spend 4 hours coughing yellow shit up from my lungs. and then 2 days being perfectly fine, and then back to coughing shit up. i don't really remember that being part of mono, but i am SO freaking tired all the time. went to bed at 2am last night, didn't wake up til 2:30pm and i only got up cause my mom called. i could go back to sleep right now if i didn't know i need to stay with a semi normal sleep schedule.

so i'm wondering if you can get mono twice? i've heard people say you can't, and others say you can....so idk what to think. it's frustrating. my glands don't feel big, but they don't at the beginning of mono. sooo..*shrug* idk. what do you guys say?

2. DhammaGamer

You get it once and your body produces anti-bodies to fight off the symptoms, but you essentially have it for life, you are just no longer super contagious. If you get an auto-immune disease like HIV, I'm pretty sure you can lose the anti-bodies and symptoms will return.

3. GreenRaven

i don't have HIV but i do have another autoimmune disorder, hashimoto's thyroiditis. but that just makes my immune system too busy attacking my thyroid to be much help fighting off colds and such. hence why i've had this cold for 3 weeks now -___-

4. Iamjohnlocked

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My 13-year-old brother has had it about three times (not from kissing lol). You can definitely have it more than once.

I think Santana Lopez has had it about 20 times. :wink:

5. GreenRaven

haha, yeah i got mine from sharing a drink with a coworker at rennfest. so i suppose the answer would be if you're immune system gets compromised it can resurface. got it. lol thanks for the answers guys