1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stubborn Fluctuating Weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Phantasma, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Phantasma

Well, like a lot of people, I've got some weight issues. About 2 years ago, I started gaining weight very very quickly. Before I knew it, I was 35 pounds overweight D= BUT, after a year and a half of long work, I've finally brought my weight down to a healthy level. See the problem is, these last 5 or so pounds cannot make up their mind!

I'm eating the same amount I ate all through my dieting, and I'm actually exercising more.. but my weight keeps fluctuating in really odd ways. Lets set this example over a week. On monday I check my weight, it's 134. Not bad. Then I check again on Wednesday, and SCORE, I'm 130. BUT.. then, I check on Sunday and the scale is reading like 137/138!! Keep in mind I am keeping up with the diet and eating properly for the whole week. Maybe I'll eat a tiny bit more or treat myself to a little bite of chocolate every couple of days, but not enough to cause any kind of big difference in weight. I know this cannot be from food, because I hardly even touch fatty stuff anymore.. so, what is this? Is this something I need to be worrying about? I wasn't too worried before.. but it seems to be getting a bit more extreme lately, gaining and/or losing sometimes 5 pounds in a few days. Does this have to do with water retention? Because some days I'll drink a litre, litre and a half of water.. the next day I might only drink half a litre. So, could this stubborn fluctuating weight be from how much liquid I am taking in, or is this something I should be legitimately worried about?

2. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not a doctor or anything but this is what I know:

A person weight fluctuates a lot. Water retention has a lot to do with it as does how much you have in your stomach and how long its been since you went to the bathroom. If you weigh yourself in the morning (naked) right after you get up and go to the bathroom you should get results that are closer to each other everytime you weigh yourself.

I wouldn't be to worried about it.

Good job with losing weight and being healthy. :hugs:

3. Orion

As Alabastair said, weight normally fluctuates in every person and there's nothing wrong about it. However, when checking weight loss, doctors usually recommend checking your weight once a week. If you check more often, you might get misled on how much you weight, so, try to allow some space between weight-ins.

4. Phantasma

Ohh okay. Well I'm relieved now. I check my weight pretty often, because it's sort of part of my routine, I'll check before I shower since i'm conveniently naked then.

5. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are usually lightest in the morning since you haven't drank water yet, eaten anything, most likely had just gone to the bathroom, etc. and are wearing light/no clothes.

Weigh yourself once a week in the morning, you'll see results better that way. Imagine looking at the scale one day and saying "Oh! I've lost two pounds this past week' or saying 'I've lost 2 ounces since yesterday'. Which one would you choose?

You shower naked? Whats this? I've never heard of such a thing. Showering. Naked. Honestly. Youngsters these days... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#5 Alabastair, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  6. Vampyrecat

Okay mate, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But firstly congratulations on doing such a good job so far. I know how hard it can be to deal with weight, so I admire your strength of will.

okay, If you're weighing more, it probably means you're retaining water and that your bowels haven't moved as yet. If you want proof of the bowels and water retaining, go to the scales before you go to the toilet, then check again afterward. you always weigh less afterward.
    Also, Like, Alabastair said, you weigh less in the morning then at night because you haven't eaten anything, have probably just gone to the toilet and are wearing light clothes.
    And some of the weight might be muscle weight. For instance if you work out regularly, then even if you gain weight but look thinner, its because you've put on muscle mass and lost the fatty deposits.

Hope this helps, and keep up the great work :slight_smile::slight_smile:

7. CrimsonThunder

Weight once a week at the same time every week.

Example: Weigh yourself on Monday at 7:00 in the morning before breakfast but after going to the toilet. That is so your body is the same every week. Don't weigh in between the week because it will give an off reading and if you eat just after you weigh yourself you'll be more.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with CrimsonThunder and that is what I was going to say. Your weight will vary a bit depending on whether you have eaten recently, whether you've been to the toilet etc. Also clothes obviously add to weight. Weighing yourself at a consistent time and in a consistent state will give more useful readings. Once a week is ample, and is a long enough period to see the actual variation rather than getting confused by daily fluctuations.

9. shaun

Agree with all those above. Your body can easily fluctuate 10 pounds in a day due to water retention alone. The suggestion about weighing in the morning, after using the restroom is exactly what I was going to suggest to you, and no more than once a week. Anything more is useless

10. Louise

I agree with everything everyone has said except no one has mentioned salt.

You say you stay away from fatty foods but do you use salt on your food or eat salty foods? Salt will make you thirsty and prone to drinking vast quantities.

If on the days when you dringk a lot you try to look at what you ate the day before you might see a pattern emerging and then you will be able to control that side of your eating habits.

Weight fluctuations are very common especially if you don't weigh yourself at a regular time each week so no, don't worry unduely. :thumbsup:

11. Jim1454

I'm not sure that there's a problem with weighing yourself on a daily basis. Of course it's going to fluctuate. However, weighing yourself every morning is a constant reminder that you can't eat a huge bowl of ice cream before going to bed every night.

(Some of us need that reminder - DAILY!)

I heard (and believe) that a daily weigh in at home can help some people stay focussed on their weight loss program.

It also helps identify a trend... how discouraging would it be to find yourself UP 3 pounds at your weekly weigh in, if in fact it's a function of water retension from the day before, and in fact you'd shown some consistent and measurable weight loss in the previous days...

Just my 2 cents.

12. randombelle

my weight fluctuatesv a lot dont worry about it. its perfectly normal