1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stuffed animals (comfort objects)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fugs, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it okay/normal to be really attached to a stuffed animal or other comfort object like a blanket or toy? I have a bear I got for Christmas that I've named Stuffy. Ze is gender neutral and I'm having trouble going anywhere without hir. I'm thinking of taking zir out with me to go to my therapy appointment next week because I might need the support ze offers. Ze hasn't really left my side in months, I always have hir in my lap or something and it's mostly subconscious to the point of not noticing myself doing it. I haven't slept a night without zir and have trouble falling to sleep if ze isn't right there with me.

I like having zir so close to me all the time. Ze gives me a lot of comfort for some reason but I'm not sure if this is a healthy attachment to have or not.

2. Melissa

Well, I can think of unhealthier attachments... So I don't think it's a terrible thing for the moment. Taking hir to therapy is a great idea though. See what your therapist says. : )

3. csocm

I don't think it's that bad, like there are much worse things that you could be really attached to. I still talk to a couple of my stuffed animals and I take this one blanket with me anywhere I go. I think its a good idea to take him to therapy.

4. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't really think there's any problem with having some sort of comfort object unless you get obsessed or start to think its actually alive.

I will be honest, I could not understand all of the ze/zir/hir stuff and it sort of confused me. Can you have a translation for those words?

5. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are gender-neutral pronouns.

And as for my opinion.. as said beforehand, there are ALOT more unhealthier attatchments, and even to the degree they are, as well.

Personally, I keep my companion cube with me ^^

6. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hm, interesting, I like the ones that start with v best myself.

8. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

This post actually made me cry for some reason. I used to get super attatched to my stuffed animals as a kid and my parents forced me to stop sleeping with them because my dad thought it meant I had a "mental illness" (he was pretty fucked up).

I honestly don't see what's wrong with it as long as you know its not real or whatever.

I still have my favorite ones plus some new additions. I think Ill go hug them now.

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a modest collection of stuffed animals. Only one sleeps on my bed. He does so every night, and has for 21 years and counting. His name is (rather unpoetically, I should mention) Bear Bear. He was once white with a ribbon of unrecallable color (long since gone), but now he is a rather tattered shade of Snuggle fabric softener blue with some heavy, albeit lovingly applied, wear and tear.

This bear has been my go-to in any emotional situation. I am unashamed to admit that I still feel a strong attachment to Bear Bear. I sleep, cry, dream, and draw comfort (occasionally simultaneously) with and from him.

You aren't alone. :slight_smile: I'd say if zhe helps you relax, then by all means take zir along. The whole point of going to counseling/therapy is to open up, which we all know is easier when one feels comfortable and relaxed.

10. im attached to charlie (my snuggle bear) and im 21 soon! hes the perfect size for cuddling. if i dont have him in bed it makes it harder to sleep cuz i need someone/something to snuggle up to/with. he watches movies with me too and i cuddle up to him if i get scared during one.....

hes tatty and has holes in from were he is so worn and old but i cant throw him away.

you arent alone, its not a bad thing :slight_smile:

11. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it'd be fine if I took zir to the store or park with me? :slight_smile:

12. Aielar

Nah, I don't think it's weird/something to be ashamed off. I have a blanket that I got for Christmas last year, and whenever I spend the night somewhere else I take it with me :slight_smile:

13. Romi

I think it's completely fine.

I'm 24 and I love all my stuffed bebes. They all have names. They each have their own personality. And I adore them all.

14. O_Negative

I tend to pass my attachments to different objects, but there is ALWAYS something I am particularly attached to, and I tend to cycle through certain ones. For instance, right now I am stuck to my indicator bracelet (I wear a black and blue parachute cord bracelet to let my friends know it is a boy day, and to please use my boy name and pronouns.) I wear it to bed even...its a comfort and taking it off almost feels like taking off Gage...its also nice because its a subtle thing...most people don't know about my gender fluidty, but they dont think anything of a bracelet.

I also have a longer term one...a quartz crystal I keep in my left pocket. It has been there for about 4 years and I feel absolutely naked without it. I always tell people if my left hand is EVER in my pocket, it's wrapped around my crystal. Wearing something without pockets is genuinely distressing to me >.<

15. Romi

I'm like that with my medicine bag. The only time it ever comes off my neck is when I shower or sleep. Same with my rainbow and day of silence bracelets.

Also, your bracelet indicator is a wonderful. :]

16. O_Negative

Thanks Romi! I love it =)...(its the one you see in my pictures if you're curious =3...thats also why my sig has indicators in it...you guys cant see me!)

17. starfish

Nothing to feel bad about. I think just about everyone has a comfort object of some sort.

Mine is a coffe cup. The funny thing is that it is from the company I used to work for and has there logo on it. A couple of people at my new job have commented on it, said that is weird to have a coffe cup with another companies logo on it.

The cup make me feel better, so I plan to keep it. Though I admit that a coffee cup is weird comfort object.

18. ameliawesome

it's certainly easy to attach feelings to an inanimate object. it's easy to invent superstitions. i think that habits like that are related to compulsion: i used to do things like ritualistically remove my jewelry every day and kiss every item before i put it down, and i used to have a lotttt of stuff animals that i was obsessively devoted to. i can't say it isn't normal because i don't really believe in normality (either everything is normal or nothing is normal), and it isn't unhealthy unless you let it control your life. it's important to remember that the bear has no power. you have the power. and you can choose to let your bear share your worries or burdens and comfort you when you need comfort, sometimes we need to do things like that. i would say bringing stuffy to therapy is a good idea if you're concerned about your own control over your relationship with zir.

19. Tycho

I sleep with a teddy that has huge sentimental value to me (given to me as a infant by someone who has since passed). He only makes appearances when I'm going through a real lonely patch in life (like now). Also just reminds me to apprecate the little things in life, and what I do have.

Anyway, my friend is compulsively attached to one of her toys. It's a little bit weirder (lets just say.... a little over attached).. however I wouldn't say abnormal.

Now it could get to the point where its unhealthy or abnormal. But the fact you are concerned with it being abnormal shows to me that you understand the boundaries of attachment.

20. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, I used to sleep with my stuffed animals every night until I got a single bed lol. Now they just hang out in my closet and I've got around 50 of them in there, so I can totally understand. I'm 22 and I couldn't ever imagine getting rid of them. If your stuffed animal makes you feel more comfortable than I don't see it as a bad thing :slight_smile: