1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxiety, anxiety, anxiety...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LailaForbidden, Oct 6, 2012.

1. LailaForbidden

I have a problem. I have (undiagnosed) anxiety and its really messing with me lately because of all my college applications and such. Since as long as I can remember, my mind has flitted to one stressful think to the next, as if i'm sabatoging myself. So, of course, immediately after I reached a conclusion of my sexuality, the whole question of 'oh my god. what am I going to do with my future. how do I pick a college? what if I f*ck up my life?!' started up and, god, i'm sick of the worry. of becoming randomly and severely depressed because of this stuff. *sigh* I tend to obsess over things as a stress over them.. it only makes it worse. So, i dunno, i really don't want to take medication because I think people are over-prescribing themselves these days. I guess my question is, what do you think I should do? any good advice?

2. Mogget

I manage my anxiety through grounding, self-soothing, and progressive muscle relaxation.

Grounding is the art of transferring your attention from your thoughts and feelings to your senses. I might practice deep breathing, run cold water over my hands, or slowly unpeel and eat an orange, savoring the unique flavor, texture, etc.

Self-soothing is engaging in activities I find relaxing. I might read a book, take a hot bath, watch a comedy, etc.

Progressive muscle relaxation is a meditation technique where you lie on the ground and slowly clench and unclench different muscle groups while breathing deeply. You can find tutorials online.

Those are all things you can easily do to help manage anxiety. Some people also find talk therapy helpful, myself included.

3. Ticklish Fish

Calm yourself down first. No really. Your mind is probably running with 50 things in your life. School work, college application, and maybe chores and more? Calm yourself down and clarify yourself things you need to do or will be doing.

If I were you, I would worry about sexuality later. College apps have deadlines and is better if you do your applications well. All those admission papers, FAFSA, whatever. You might be going to live in dorm, they might have mandatory meal plan. This phase of transition have a few months effect of excitement, but some things just need to take priority. (well, eventually you'll be bog down by school work, but that's something else XD)

Are you getting enough sleep? exercise? proper diet? Some things you can do to boost up your emotion. Maybe plan something to do with friends after all these college madness is over to cheer up yourself? Have yourself some goal? Some rewards?

(and after you submit, keep up your GPA so college don't ditch you)

as for major and future goes. I would like to believe in a mix of having some plan but also expect surprises (economy downfall, something happens in your life that change your idea, etc.). I used to worry about future a little too far (ie: 10 years and beyond), but I have decided that I should make a plan (or a few alternate) for hte incoming 5 years. tackling a few things at a time.

4. biggayguy

Try a martial arts class. The foundation of martial arts is learning to center yourself through breathing techniques. The exercises make you focus on what you're doing at the moment. Plus it's a great way to get aggression out.

5. gavguy

gavguy Guest

Anxiety is a condition which eats you up inside and is something which is so hard to overcome.
    I have been suffering with Anxiety for years about my sexuality and the fact that I was bullied at school.
    I have been on anti-depressants for years which I finally came off nearly two weeks ago.
    You need lot's of support and any friends you can talk to about this would help, if they laugh or don't want to support you then they are not true friends.
    Also it may be hard but I told my doctor and anti-depressants may help you to cope for a while so that it gives you a bit of a boost in confidence.
    Keep posting as you have support here and especially from me.

6. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand your reluctance to take medication, but I deal with anxiety too and sometimes it is necessary. I have low-dose xanax (.5mg) and only take it when I get stuck in that loop where your mind just runs from one anxious thought to another and won't stop. Haven't needed any in months, but I am glad it is there when I do.

7. srslywtf

how about going and seeing a therapist?

1) they can offer solutions besides meds

2) you may actually have something else that you've misdiagnosed