1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gain weight safe

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Brody, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I want to gain weight but safely cause I feel to skinny to feel good about myself plz help

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Amicus

Hi there, Brody!

Your post concerns me a little bit because you don't talk about being underweight or having a medical reason for weight gain; you talk about your skinny body making you not feel good about yourself. Why does your body keep you from feeling good? Healthy weight gain methods notwithstanding, I think that you'd be feeding into some very unhealthy thought patterns if you go ahead with this.

Have you heard of body dysmorphia? It's something that causes you to focus intensely on certain aspects of your body and think that they're flawed or not good enough. But these distortions often don't match up well with reality.

Does your body look this way and stay at this weight when you eat normal amounts and are lightly active? If so, that's probably the weight that your body is happiest and functions best at.

Give some more thought as to why you want to gain weight. The sad thing about body dysmorphia is that no matter how much weight you gain, your brain will always find something new to criticize.

If any of this sounds like what you're feeling, you might want to work some more on getting comfortable with yourself as you are before you make any lifestyle changes.

4. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^it stays at the weight Im 84 lbs no matter what

5. Ridiculous

That sounds like a good weight for 13 years old.
    If you want to gain weight then it should be muscle, not fat. That means predominantly changing your exercise, not your diet. However honestly I wouldn't worry for a year or two more because you're fine as you are now.

6. Amicus

If that's the case, I would strongly recommend against you starting any kind of weight gain program.

It might be small comfort, but at your age, your body still has a long way to go in terms of development; most humans don't become full biological adults until around age 25! Your skeleton will not only continue to grow taller, but expand wider as well. I can't promise you that you'll look as big as you want to look, but just be patient and trust that your body knows what it's doing.

Some people freak out in their early-to-mid 20s when they discover the weight gain that accompanies their adult skeleton, but it sounds like you'll be able to embrace that particular aspect of your development. :thumbsup:

7. GayJay

Dude 84 lbs is a good weight? How tall are you?
    Am like 5ft 8 and 60 lbs thats someone who needs to gain weight id say your fine!

8. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But I don't sometimes want to eat I don't eat lunch or breakfast I just don't feel like eating

9. Amicus

Hello again Brody,

How often do you skip meals? How long has this been going on?

10. MichaelB

You're gunna have to try and get over that if you want to gain weight mate, sorry, it's just a simple fact.

I was the same, I have a ridiculously fast metablism and I don't actually like eating. Eating usually makes me feel abit sick, so I hated eating in places like school/college because.. movement/learning while feeling sick is not nice. D:

Anyway, start small. Take a packet of crisps or something to school for lunch and grow from there. I'm still trying to get used to eating at regular intervals too :slight_smile:. I can't eat breakfast still (eating first thing in the morning literally makes me throw up) but I can eat lunch now quite comfortably without feeling sick :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

But yeah, I was 6 ft and was 8 stone (112 I think for metric people.. damn you British education xD) for absolutely ages. It wasn't till I started eating at regular intervals/started excercising for an hour every other day that I went up to 12stone (168ish.. I think).

11. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Umm it started I think in August this year but ill try the thing with the lunch. :confused:

12. AAASAS

You are young.

Im 22 and still haven't fully developed, I grew an inch over the past two years.

I also have thickened out, it took till I was 22 before I had "man" wrists and such, so don't worry about..

Once you are bigger you are gunna miss being younger and littler, believe me, I already do.

13. Ticklish Fish

what's a man wrist?
    I am 19, asian, 5'6" and weight like 105lb ish lol.
    Though I am eating more now than HS lol

14. Amicus

Please do eat breakfast and lunch. If you find it too difficult to stomach a full meal in one sitting, try breaking the meals up across the day if possible or supplement the smaller meals with snacks.

15. pitabread514

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, well I notice your age says 13.

13 and 84lbs is nothing to worry about. As you grow older, probably sooner then lalter, you will naturally gain your natural weight. I was going to recommend you doing what my brother did, going to a health store and buying 'weight gainer' formula powder. Sometimes aspiring workout junkies who are seeking to put on muscle put it on. It is loaded in calories, probably even safe for a guy your age. You will gain weight alright.

But if I were you, I wouldn't worry.

There is nothing wrong with your weight/age. It seems NORMAL.

Good luck

16. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just keep eating healthily and regularly - you are far too young to worry about weight.

17. Brody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ^thx I just don't like anything about myself but I'm trying to just accept who I am

18. Ticklish Fish

... you can start by accepting that you need a healthy, regular dose of nutrients in your (at least) 3 meals.