1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meditation?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheLovelyAudrey, Oct 8, 2012.

1. I have been reading up on meditation and other forms or relaxing :icon_bigg
    Any Tips from people Who are familiar with Meditation or any form of relaxation.

(I'm new forgive me for any mistakes)

2. Mogget

There are a lot of different meditation techniques designed for different purposes. So which you choose depends on why you meditate. For example, I meditate as part of the practice of mindfulness, other people meditate to awaken compassion, others to relax, some to gain insight.

If you're interested in meditation as a form of relaxation, I recommend progressive muscle relaxation. Lie on the floor, no pillow, and slowly breath in and out from your belly. Then clench your feet for a few breaths and unclench. Wait a few breaths then clench your feet and your calves for a few breaths and unclench. Continue this until you're tightening your entire body. Always pay attention to your breath and to the sensation of tightening and loosening.

3. What kind would you recommend to eliminate worry and negative thoughts/emotion.

#3 TheLovelyAudrey, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Mogget

The idea of meditating to eliminate worry and other negative thoughts and emotions is so counter to my practice that I can't give you any suggestions, sorry.

5. That is just fine ^.^
    thanks for the advice.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Andrew.

Meditation can be an extremely effective means of reducing anxiety, stress, worry and negative thoughts, and you're smart for looking at these options, as they are safe, free, effective, and have no side effects. :slight_smile:

But before I can answer you best, is it the thoughts themselves you're focused on, or the effect of the thoughts on your body? (Meaning, the physical signs of anxiety - increased heart rate, sweating, muscle tension, etc.)

Also, do you have any existing experience with meditation or contemplative practices, or is it all new?

7. 1.the thoughts themselves
    2.I have read some "Tiny Buddha" articles for meditation advice but I'm still relatively new.

And thank you chip. :icon_bigg

#7 TheLovelyAudrey, Oct 8, 2012
  8. O_Negative

Hey my family (including my 8 year old brother) meditates regularly. When things get crazy around our house it is certainly something that gets dropped a bit more but whenever one of us is stressed, the first suggestion is to meditate and relax =)...I recommen guided meditations...easiest to start out with. Good luck!!!

9. I'll give any Try I can

I just don't want my own thoughts to hold me back in life.

#9 TheLovelyAudrey, Oct 8, 2012