1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Retrospect, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Retrospect

I've been feeling very down lately. I mean, I've always had more of a sad personality than most people, but lately it is starting to interfere with my life. I feel so empty and hollow, and like I'm a zombie that does the same thing every day. I feel distant from my friends and family, and I've been turned down by every guy I've asked on a date within the past couple of months. I have this feeling like I'm all alone and that I'll be stuck like this forever. I'm having a really hard time being able to study and do my schoolwork. Every day for the past couple of weeks, whenever I'm studying, my mind will wander and I'll start daydreaming about meeting and dating a great guy. Then, I'll come back down to reality and just start crying uncontrollably. It's this horrible loneliness - I know I'm technically not alone, but it just feels like it and it hurts. :icon_sad:

So, do you guys think it could be a sign of depression and I ought to go see a counselor, or is this just a normal phase that will pass eventually? Depression does run in both sides of my family, in differing degrees and types - I've just never considered possibly having it until recently.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Jared

I swear I just wrote a post almost exactly like this, it's kinda creepy. Those sound like the wanin signs of depression to me, and I've got them too. I think a counselor might be a good idea, I saw one this summer and it seemed to help. Though right now, I'm pretty much back where I started. I'm going to start seeing one again tomorrow. Like you I feel really alone and to me the best part about a counselor is that they are on your side and want to help you are kind of a rock. I've never really had anyone be there for me and when I started seeing a counselor she was someone I could cry my eyes out and talk about a m problems, and that helped a lot just to keep me same. I know counseling isn't for everyone, but I would give it a shot.

3. Ghost

Sounds a lot like depression. I'm going through the same thing. Really sick of losing focus on school because of feeling down, directionless, and alone. If your school has a counseling center, they can likely screen for depression. Talking to someone helps. I sometimes think of counselors as a sane, calm extension of my brain that helps me navigate through the fog clouding my mind. It definitely won't hurt you to see one and it's better to go soon before it gets any worse.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I agree that seeing a counselor would probably be a good idea. It can help you work through your feelings, regardless of their source, and reduce the negative impact they have on your life. A counselor will also be able to tell you whether you are just experiencing a normal phase or whether you do suffer from a mental illness.

5. Retrospect

Thanks everyone! I'm about to call the counseling center anyway. If it isn't depression, I could still use someone to talk to about all this.

6. amychan12

It sounds like depression i myself have it plus anxiety my mom has it too so i inheirted from her.i see a nurse practioner myself and has helped me so much.talk to your parents about it they maybe able to give you support and advice on what to do good luck

7. davidroberts

many of us suffer from depression silently. u can talk to your friends about it and let it out. talk to yourself and be ur own friend :slight_smile: and if needed go to a counselr and discus ur problems :slight_smile:

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

It's great that you're seeking help Retrospect! I have been through depression and some days can be harder than others, but it's always great to talk to someone if you think you're not feeling 100%! :slight_smile:

9. Retrospect

My parents, unfortunately, just think I'm seeking attention, and that I'm not depressed. My mom has depression, and my dad has GAD, so you think they would understand...:rolle:

I had a pretty rough night last night. I was feeling fine, but then the feelings of despair creeped in suddenly. I called a suicide hotline and they talked with me a bit, and I'm feeling okay right now. I'm just going to study today and try to stay focused.

I'm seeing a counselor Wednesday. Hopefully it will be productive. :slight_smile:

10. mansonsgirl27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Your story- matches mine, like dead on pretty much. I feel so alone because all my friends are dating someone, and I feel like a third wheel. I'm afraid I'm ugly or something...
    The girl my affections reside with flirts with me a little bit, but she's straight. It's killing me I swear. I want to tell my parents I'm bi but not tell my more-religious family members (grandparents, aunts, uncles,etc.) I want to be able to talk about my problems with my parents, but the bigger ones reside with my sexuality, and as I said, I'm not out yet to them. It's so messed up lol.
    On top of it, I feel like I'm living the same day over and over again. Nothing changes and nothing grows in my life. It's so boring. Sometimes I think my life must be a comedy for the sick deity that created me (or didn't create, I'm atheist).I hope stuff for both of us gets better :slight_smile: It most likely will, once you get all the help you need, and I hope you do ^_^

11. wandering i

I urge you to talk to a counselor and bring other people that you can trust into your situation now, and not wait for things to get worse. The more you talk about it with others and are completely honest, the more clearly you will see your problems and how to deal with them, rather than letting them grow into massive, world-ending boogeymen growing in the back of your mind.

Please keep in mind that if you talk things over, figure out the root of the problem, "fix things" and move on, but go through another one of these alienating zombie spells, you may have a chemical imbalance that is making you depressed and medicine and healthy habits are a way to treat such a disease. It sounds like you understand that Depression can be a physical disease as well as an emotional period caused by some stress or trouble. So start with counseling but if it's not enough, you have bigger guns on your side, too!

Feel free to message me if you want to talk or have some worries about getting help. I've spent the last three years trying to deal with clinical depression on my own, and am now getting treatment. So there have been many, many dark days I have floated through, and I would be happy to share the strategies that have helped me get by. And if I cannot offer advice or guidance, I am still glad to be of help by listening.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, this is almost textbook depression. I'm a bit flummoxed that tour parents (who suffer from the same thing) consider it "attention-seeking" in you. Is there a specific reason they think that? "Kids can't be depressed"? What?

Lex

13. Retrospect

Yes, that's it. "You're too young to be depressed." "There's nothing wrong with you." "We get it. We'll pay more attention to you - you don't have to pretend to be depressed." This is what they told me maybe 2 weeks ago when I really started to feel down.

So, I've just stopped asking them for help. And, they may be right. I don't know. :frowning2:

14. wandering i

Minor depression, which I have been diagnosed with, generally begins affecting a person from 9-12 years old and will likely never go away without treatment. I've gone for over ten years with this disease never knowing because I just "wasn't trying hard enough", I was just "special" in how I dealt with my problems, and "had to get it together". Even when I had done the research and sought treatment on my own, my mom asked, "What's really bothering you? What's making you so sad?" As if I just needed to talk it out, have a good cry, and then everything would be better. Maybe, if I had not already done that dozens and dozens of times over the years, and the same hopeless, numbing despair kept coming back (and getting worse each time).

Talk to a counselor. Whether this is something medical or emotional, please deal with it and don't shove it to the side or let other people tell you how you are feeling. You are the best judge and the only one who can be honest about what is going on. Trust in your feelings, believe in yourself, and get some help.

#14 wandering i, Oct 14, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  15. emopuppy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it is a good idea to talk to a counselor. My family thought the exact same thing, that was all for attention. Then I moved to college and realized I needed to help. I see a therapist now. I'm so glad I made the first step because I may only be a few weeks into treatment but its one of the best decisions you'll ever make.