1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I went to AA

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DhammaGamer, Oct 10, 2012.

1. DhammaGamer

It was a really good experience and everyone there was extremely welcoming and kind. I'm going to try to go to one every other day as time permits, just to keep myself in check. Wish me luck, I'm almost one day without alcohol.

2. TraceElement

YAY!!!!!! I'm so happy that you are starting the journey to recovery. I know it can be very hard, but well worth the fight.

3. Tiny Catastrophe

Congrats. AA is a super supportive and helpful program. I have family members who have been going for years and they've been sober for years with the support. Good luck and stay strong.

4. Chrissouth53

Good luck. I'm on day 5!

5. Eleanor Rigby

Good luck (*hug*)

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is such great news! I'm guessing it was incredibly hard to get yourself in there the first time, but you did it!

I hope it's the beginning of a new and happier life for you. Please keep us in the loop and don't be afraid to talk about anything that is making it difficult to stay sober... we're always here. :slight_smile:

7. DhammaGamer

Day two, itching like crazy this last couple hours or so. Gonna lose myself in some video games and music and power through the night.

8. alwayshope11

9. KaraBulut

That first step is the hardest one to take. Congrats.

10. DhammaGamer

Made it through day 2. Last night was a fucking challenge for sure. My brother and roommate got shitfaced wasted. They finished the first fifth of vodka before I really knew how drunk they were (about an hour into the evening) and my brother was already coming into my bedroom trying to push my buttons with the misgendering and bullshit. He kept offering me shots even though I told him that I was trying to quit. He was actually trying to persuade me to drink.

I ended up leaving the house with my dog and calling a couple of the people I met at the AA meeting. I spoke to another girl (older than me) on the phone while I drove around for about an hour. Got food and coffee then came home and played wow with my bedroom door closed the rest of the night. They continued to carry on. Crappy guitar playing and drunk singing ensued, followed by the standard shoutfest, drunken depression and sobbing, and eventually passing out with all the lights on ...

Anyways, onto day 3. I haven't gone 3 days without drinking in at least 3 or 4 months. I've got plans for a ton of errands and chores to do today, and am downloading wow to my laptop, so if push comes to shove I can head over to my sober friend's house to play video games there. Thanks for the support everyone.

11. AlexisAnne

This is awesome for you. I had a cousin who had major problems with alcohol. He finally got himself to go to AA and it changed his life. It was a difficult road for him, but he doesn't touch alcohol anymore and he's happy. You did the right thing getting out of the house and talking others from AA.

It can't have been easy, with them more or less flaunting the drinking, and you should be proud of yourself for having the strength to walk away. It's great that you're keeping yourself busy with errands, running around and (my personal favorite) the possibility of video games.

Keep it up! This has to be hard for you, but you can do it. We're all rooting for you here. :slight_smile:

12. J Snow

Congratulations on seeking help! (*hug*)

It really doesn't seem like you are in the best environment for trying to get sober =/

13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is sooooooo amazing! It's really admirable that you're withstanding the pressure from your family/friends. That's going to be the biggest struggle, because as they see you making positive change, they will start to feel shittier about themselves... so rather than try and get help and make positive change, as you have, they will instead try and pull you down, to make their own shortcomings seem less problematic.

You may need to get out of that environment in the long term, but in the meantime, you've already made use of one of the most powerful aspects of AA, which is talking to others who are further along and getting their support while you're struggling.

And every day gets a little easier than the previous one. :slight_smile:

I'm really happy to see this is working for you. Just keep with it... keep talking to your new friends... and keep updating us here. We're rooting for you!

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so proud of you <3 Like I said before, there are a lot of people to fall back on so don't feel afraid to ask for support.

15. Gallatin

Go you! Keep up the awesome work. We're all rooting for you! :thumbsup:

16. itsjoanna

Wow so proud of you! We're all here to support you!

17. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Wow congrats! I have family members who go to AA and it has helped them tremendously. Just remember that it's one day at a time! You can do this!! :slight_smile:

18. DhammaGamer

4 days today :slight_smile: Went to another meeting in a different spot today with a woman I met at the the wed meeting. We had coffee ahead of time as well. It was really nice talking to someone who is supportive of my desire to get sober. It was a really good meeting. Everyone is so understanding and kind. Very good. Today is the longest I've gone without getting drunk or high in over 4 months. One day at a time :slight_smile:

19. Kiazt

Kiazt Guest

Good luck! ^^
    We'll be here to support you!

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a fantastic accomplishment! And good that you're connecting with more than one group, and developing friendships. That's what it's all about is having people around you who support your goals :slight_smile:

Keep up the good work!