1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comfort Food

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Proud1p4, Aug 17, 2006.

?

Comfort Food

1. Yes, i have/still use it. Sometimes i just let the food do the work.

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Nope, i've never/dont use it often. I manage on my own another way.

8 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other. (specify)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well im not feeling so great right now and it got me thinking, how many of you use it. When you're feeling down do you whip out the chocolate brownies, the pint of ice cream and everything else deep fried or covered in chocolate or do you work it out on your own. Or do you use excercise etc.

I'm here with a peach, chocolate brownies with a buttermilk icing (made by me:slight_smile: ), a strawberry filled bar and a milkshake.

Yeah, lol, this isnt even half of what i feel like eating. I usually work my own shit out but this time i just dont have the energy to self-analise so lets use the old fashioned eat your heart out path.

Me and my girlfriends do it all the time. I mean yeah its not totally health-conscious, but id trade a small chunk of physical health for psycological well-being anyday.

I'm probably not making any sense but im not in the mood to spell check what i wrote and such.:icon_sad:

2. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    Sometimes I get tempted to eat when I'm feeling down, but usually my procedure is to lie on my bed for a couple of hours wallowing in self-pity/shock/whatever is bugging me until I feel like calling one of my friends who then usually tells me to stop moaning and get a life, which usually helps. Either that or they tell me about their own problems and that always makes me feel better.

Ahhh shadenfreude...such a beautiful thing...

3. Mnstn

When I'm down chocolate is definatly my friend. Though, my favorite comfort food, the kind of food you can eat no matter what mood your in, is cereal. Not any particular type but just cereal with really cold soy milk.

4. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't have comfort food, I just eat all the time.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It is tempting to reach for the chocolate, cakes or ice cream sometimes, but I really must think of my waistline..... I regard them as an occasional treat, not as comfort food, as I currently don't need comfort food.

6. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

I have an amazing fudge brownies recipe if anyone's interested lol. I love making desserts, quite good at it not to toot my own horn (well i have to acknowledge if im good at something, lol). But until recently i was going to be a pastry chef, now im gunning for psycologist:icon_wink .

7. del113

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Hi There,

Comfort eating while in the short term can make you fel better, this depends upon what type of food you eat at the time, as some foods make you feel even hungrier and so you eat more, an idea would be to look at the wider issue and try to focus on the problems that are making you turn to food as a quick fix, look at exercise, or if creative or artistic in any way , draw a picture to exoress your feelings, it doesn't have to make any sense to anyone but yourself and believe me is very therapeutic, you know draw one with your current feelings and then another with your feelings as if the problem had just disappeared, then compare, it might not work for you but hey, why not try. Or you could simply speak to someone you really trust and get some impartial advice, there are also of course th more professional routes you could look at with your physician, such as counselling etc, but maybe at this stage it is too early and indeed unneccessary to do this just now, if you think you need to talk to someone you can also do it here as although we all can give our opinions to your problem , we are but buttons on a keypad and not personally known to you so some of our opinions might make sense to you while others might make you feel angry, ultimately, tho only person who can see things for who and what they are is yourself, Good luck and let us know if we can be of any help.

8. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Or, i can just eat brownies. I get sick of self-analysing and soemtimes, i turn off the psycoligy and jsut be a normal teen for once. lol sorry to be rude but i really dont care much about excercise and i perfer to do things my way.

9. del113

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

yep, you could just eat brownies, you seem to have the right attitude and will alter your lifestyle to suit, good luck.

10. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I find it's best if you actually make the food you want because then that eliminates a HUGE percentage of the guilt factor when you're eating it 'cause then you can tell yourself "hey, I made it, I'm 100% entitled to eat it"...and you might find that, as you're baking, some of that craving goes away.

I've also heard working out helps a lot...but that's not nearly as fun as eating a pan of brownies :icon_bigg

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Oh yeah. Once i'm done baking them i defintely use that excuse. And if im making something REALLY elaborate for a very very bad comfort food moment like an entire German Chocolate Layer Cake from scratch....the craving is almost non-existant because of the labour. :icon_smil But i still manage to eat half the cake. :lol: (it's bursting with flavour and worth the work the next day when the stress wears off)