1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do You Treat Your Colds?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DryOasis, Oct 13, 2012.

1. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

When you catch a cold do you medicate heavily or do you wait until they're over (since they are self-limiting illnesses)?

2. davidroberts

better dnt medicate much. jus eat well drink plenty of fluids avoid cold and oily foods :slight_smile: and if its too much jus take a decongestent like cetrizine 10mg at night :slight_smile: only if u hv fever with deep cough an antibiotic course can be taken :slight_smile:

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

My cold survival plan is to gargle salt water to help my sore throat, suck on Ricolas to help my coughing, and use a Neti pot if the congestion gets too ridiculous. With those to help me deal with the symptoms, I'm always able to tough it out without needing any medication.

4. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I do the same thing. But I went out and got cough mixture at the chemist today. The reason I asked was that I have the second cold within about 2 and a half weeks so I'm guessing its a different strain. I blame my little nephew who visited a few days ago , he goes to kindergarten, which is the reservoir of all sickness and evil on planet earth:slight_smile:

5. BudderMC

Lol.

Anyways, I medicate to an extent. If it's a headache almost definitely, if it's a cold then only if it's impeding my ability to do work. Basically I only medicate if I need to.

Otherwise though, for colds I just try and make sure I'm eating properly and resting lots. If I can drop some plans or work to give myself more time, then I do. The easier I take it the quicker I get over it I find.

6. Mogget

There are medications like Sudafed that can help with the symptoms, but there aren't any medications that can attack the virus. Drink water, gargle with salt, and rest.

7. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Lol. Thanks! Colds are frustrating, especially in this heat.

8. Gekko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I sleep and drink water a lot the first days, I feel that really helps. If it doesn't go away I go to the doctor.

9. J Snow

I just lie under a blanket, watch TV, and wait for it to pass.

10. Gen

Gen

I just suffer painfully...........

Seriously, my mild germaphobia hasnt done a thing for my immune system. Someone could breath in my direction and I will catch something. They are always brutal. I do drink a ton of green tea, which helps a lot.

Speaking of which I need to stock up on my teas. Fall/Winter are almost here.....

11. Gallatin

Rest, lots of water, chicken soup, Sudafed, some NyQuil, and Law and Order marathons is usually how I deal with them.

12. smprob

To add a bit more, I take only warm food and drinks and cover neck and ears warmly, day and night if I could help it, and gargling salt water when also having sore throat with it. That most times do the work.

13. Colours

I rarely take any medicine. Or anything else that's supposed to help. I rarely even feel the need to. My colds aren't so bad, it seems.

14. RainDreamer

Drink lots of orange juice to buff up my Vitamin C, then pop a tylanol, and and going to uni running on will power alone.

15. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll usually dose up on orange/grapefruit juice and other liquids (sometimes add a bit of vodka to mix it up hehe when at home), stay warm, neocitran before going to bed (try to schedule sleep as a top priority for a few days). And try to spend a day or two not doing much other than what can't be rescheduled.

16. Mogget

There's really no evidence that extra Vitamin C boosts the immune system. Not that it isn't important, since a deficiency causes scurvy, but if you take in more than you need you'll just pee it out.

17. TraceElement

"Treating" a cold is not a phrase for me lol. I grumpily meddle through. Robutessin is my BFF, am never more than 3 feet from a cup of liquid, hot showers, nasal mist actually take my sleep pills, and kleenex. Oh, and my doctor gave me an inhaler to make it easier to hack loogies.

18. Bree

Ginger, garlic, and lemon in any form possible, lots of water, honey for the throat, occasionally slippery elm lozenges.

Sinuses are more complicated. I'm prone to getting serious sinus infections after colds that can lay me up for a month. I douche my sinuses with a sea salt and baking soda concentrate several times a day, and take decongestants if it's not enough. I can't afford to let my nose get too stuffed up.

I actually rinse my nose once a day when I'm healthy anyways, to minimize slight pet allergies.

19. Hiems

I would take OTC meds nowadays.

Though as a kid, my mom would boil water and lemongrass in a big pot. Then she would put the pot on the living room floor, I'd sit near the pot, and she would cover me and the pot with a giant blanket to trap the aroma. This was intended to clear stuffy nose. Most of the time I felt better... gotta love those homemade remedies :slight_smile:

20. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Usually when it first begins, I try to tough it out and just wait and hope it gets better without medication. Then of course, it worsens in the next day or two. I normally have to take Sudafed when my nose gets too congested and it interferes with my sleep. Other than that, I drink water and probably eat cough drops to soothe my sore throat. I also have some chinese herbal remedy drinks that I take.