1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression, (Social) Anxiety, and Self Harm

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CalebCael, Oct 15, 2012.

1. CalebCael

So yeah... All those lovely topics ey?

I do have depression issues that pair in quite a lovely fashion with my anxiety. The anxiety is both regular and social. I am on medication for anxiety which has made it a good bit better. Migraines going away and all that which has been quite nice.

The major issue at the moment is that, being months clean from cutting myself, I did it again today. I had promised myself I wouldn't do that anymore, but I just got so upset, there were sharp objects near by, next thing I know I'm cutting myself. I had been quite happy about quitting, as it took a while and such. It just sort of happened, and I'm afraid of falling back into that cycle! I don't want to go back to that again. I have methods to stop myself but I guess there was only so much I could take.

Any advice on how to stop cutting? Because I really don't want to get back into this. Thanks.

2. Mogget

One of the most important things is not to treat a break in a period of not cutting as a failure. That leads to self-recrimination which leads to self-hatred which leads to more cutting. It's not immoral to cut; it's unhealthy.

When I self-harm, that isn't a sign of moral failure or a weakness of character, it's a sign that I either don't have healthy coping mechanisms or that I'm not able to use them effectively. Which is okay. Healthy coping mechanisms aren't frequently taught, and sometimes situations can be overwhelming.

If you are seeing a therapist, ask him or her for advice on how to control the urge to self-harm. If you aren't, I strongly suggest finding one.

3. ems

ems

I try to keep busy . And try to occupy my mind . Maybe take urself for a walk , and get some fresh air in ur lungs. It not always easy but one cut does not mean u have broken it. Good luck. X

4. CalebCael

Thank you both! I talked to my therapist about it which has helped. I've found a few methods to stop as well. Hopefully for good this go round.~