1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glasses....omg

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Perrygay, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I used to have way better than 20/20 vision just last year, but now I'm having a lot of trouble seeing distance. I can't even squint (sp?) anymore to see things that are far off. So I have to go to the eye doctor, and I'm really afraid he's going to tell me I need glasses.

How did you guys who have glasses come to terms with having to wear them? Just get contacts?

2. SkyTears

There are pretty good glasses out there. You just have to take your time when looking. It really depends on the way your head in built as to what glasses will look best on you. I actually use to wear glasses and I didn't really mind because I could pick out glasses that looked good on me. Although I do have to say that I wear daliy contacts now and they work very well.

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are all types of cool frames out there. If you don't think glasses fit you, consider trying contacts. I wear contacts and would much rather have them than glasses.

4. s5m1

I went through the same thing - I had great vision and then eventually needed glasses. I was really upset at first, but it turned out to be no big deal. I wore glasses for a few years and then tried contacts. Contacts are so much better. You get normal peripheral vision with them. Contacts are almost as good as normal vision. The only down side for me is that my eyes get dry if I have had them in for a long time - like 14+ hours.

5. I despise my glasses. I wear my contacts all the time instead, I love them.

6. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I hate my glasses also. I also don't like how I look with them... I wear contacts ^_^ I only started wearing them recently and they work GREAT. Make sure you get soft contacts though =)

7. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love my glasses and I think they look good on me. Only when playing sports or when it rains do I want contacts. :slight_smile:

Pick out a cool frame, one that you're comfortable with, and wear it with pride. If you hate glasses completely, get contacts or surgery when you're older. Be careful with contacts though. They can do more harm then good.

IMHO, glasses are cute on most people if they've got nice frames, so I'm biased towards glasses.

Don't skimp on anything when buying glasses. Spending the extra money for unbreakable lens, antiglare, etc. will make wearing glasses way more tolerable.

8. Skeleton

I refused to wear glasses. I went straight for contact lenses.

With my head-like-a-bag-o'-hammers™ not a single set of frames in the whole of my home city looked good on me.

9. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have worn glasses since first grade, and as long as you have frames you like it usually doesn't matter that you're wearing them...eventually they just become an extension of your face. While contacts can be a good route too, especially if you break things easily, it may not be as viable a route if your vision problems are caused by astigmatism (the forming of a cone shape in your eye); my astigmatism made even the most flexible contacts unusable.

Besides, cool frames can make an outfit better and compliment your facial features, as well as other various fashion statements.

10. panda

I've worn glasses for years.One thing is they protect your eyes when it's windy and dusty.
    The other thing is that you can look very cool and intellectual. Bono looks pretty good with glasses.

11. Really? I have astigmatism and contacts work perfectly well for me.

12. 24601

Contacts are great, but having a pair of glasses that you don't mind is a plus, too. My suggestion? Use both! Get a pair of glasses with an invisible frame or a nearly invisible one so you won't "notice" it as much (or just any frame you like), AND get contacts. Wear the contacts 85% of the time, like when you're going out. Use the glasses on the weekends when you're too lazy to put in the contacts or if your eyes are sore (as mine often are, especially in the winter) and at night. They're also useful to have if you're rushed in the morning and don't have time to put in your contacts. It's essential to have a pair of glasses that you don't mind wearing, even if you're not crazy about them.

If you really want to "not notice" the contacts, there are pairs that you can apparently sleep in. Most pairs, even if they're soft (which 99% of all new ones are anymore, I think), they say not to sleep in them, but a few say you can. However, I don't think I would - at least for any extended period of time. Sleeping with your contacts in isn't so much the scratching and irritation of the eye that's a problem, nor is it really the gross and painful sensation that is peeling them off when you wake up - when you sleep with them in, you actually increase the risk of infection. So, I'm not really sure how the "sleep in them" contacts get around that, or if they do at all... but, if you want something that's a little more natural, I guess you can try those.

And last thing - make sure you buy a moisturizer bottle to carry around with you, because your eyes will get dry (especially at first). Try many different kinds of saline, moisturizer, and disinfectant, and see which one works best with your eyes - they are different. Some irritate mine worse than others.

And err... make sure your eye doctor doesn't cheat you. Mine tried to do that once...

13. Grof142007

just find glasses you like

14. Lane

Personal choice there really. Some people find glasses that look good on them, and add something to their looks. Others can't get used to wearing them at all and just go with contacts. Personally I have worn glasses most of my life. So I got used to wearing them when I was young.
    But I also have contacts, and wear them quite often. There are certain times though that I am just more comfortable wearing glasses; cause the contacts after a long day sometimes bug my eyes, or I am working in an area at work that prohibits contacts.

So really it is up to you. Either one has its possatives and negatives.

15. Nodnarb

I have had glasses for like forever....I just don't think I could stand putting contacts in my eyes. I don't mind glasses. You just get used to them and don't even notice them after awhile. Actually, I'm so used to them that it feels wrong to not have them on(just because of how it feels, not because of the lack of sight). My whole family(dad, mom, sister)have glasses, so its perfectly natural for me.

16. tiptoerainbows

My parents own an optometrists (sp). Contacts from what I know are good, kinda pricey and more younger people choose them. I personally can't be bothered wearing them. Besides I love all the funky frames out there today.
    I've been wearing glasses since I was about 6 so I'm used to them. I don't mind my contacts it's just I can't be bothered with them most days.
    Don't freak out about stereotypes with glasses. Some people come to my parents shop just to buy glasses with plain lenses to look smart, so that's gotta be a pro =)

17. Rette

I've had both glasses and contacts over the years. I prefer glasses myself.

With glasses, you will end up cleaning them off several times a day. And you will get stuff on them, annoying you. And they suck in the rain. Ans you need to make sure you get comfortable frames.

With contacts, you'll have less annoyances, but they're more difficult to fix. Sometimes your contact can kinda scrunch up in your eye which is a very weird feeling and can be difficult to fix. Also, if you're out late, they'll dry out which is another weird feeling, and it feels like sandpaper when you take them out at this point. Also, they take a little more maintenance as far as cleaning goes. Also, you can't rub your eyes, which sucks when you're tired.

It's really a preference thing. I personally think glasses look good, and they're not as annoying as contacts.

18. davo-man

I've recently got glasses, and Im fine with wearing them. I only need them for distance stuff (like cinemas) and television (cos I use subtitles and they get quite blurry for me)...I like my frames, but I only wear my glasses at work (cos I need them), watching movies/TV and when Im driving. When I go out partying, I dont wear them, cos, even thos I like them, i think I look better in photos without them

Anyway, getting glasses is not a big deal, just make sure you get frames that you feel comfortable in and you'll be set

19. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've worn glasses and contacts for years!!

Glasses are fashionable nowadays and it has been known for people to have plain glass as lenses just to get to wear glasses!

There are thousands of styles and you should be able to find a pair to suit you. You've had a few ideas from other posters ^^^.

Contact lenses are so comfy nowadays that you usually forget you've got them in. "Maintenance" costs are higher than glasses but you have to weigh up the pros and cons. Also, you may want to consider tinted lenses - the ones that change your eye colour - be daring!!

Personally, I wear contact lenses all the time but will wear my glasses when I can't be bothered to put my lenses in - weekends. When I bump into people who I see rarely, they don't even notice if I've got my glasses on. Glasses today are not a big deal any longer but I do understand your apprehension.

Good luck whatever you choose but do take your time. When/if you do get glasses, why don't you post a "with glasses" and "without glasses" photo and run a poll as to what we think? I bet everyone will say "cool" or similar!!

#19 Bromptonrocks, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  20. SpikySpice

My story, maybe not many people experience dbefore

My eyes were killed by the Ultra Violet from the sun. When I was a little baby, everday, my parents brought me out to teh porch and let me lay on the chair and I just kept staring at teh sun, actually i didnt remember anythign, lierk when i was 1 year old.

One day, mom gave me soemthing, i couldnt reached my hand out to grab it, they brought me to teh hospital and that I was almosty blind, I got surgeries, 1 for each eye, noiw I got 1 scar on each eye.

So i wore glasses since then, liek almost 14 -15 years, argh i hate glasses

And now it's gettign worse , they said i may be BLIND when reach 40s:tears: :tears: :confused: