1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a little graphic, but... question about a change in my menstrual cycle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Caoimhe Fayre, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Caoimhe Fayre

Because of my depression and anxiety, I haven't been eating much or sleeping much for about the past two months... when I say not eating or sleeping much, I mean there isn't really a pattern but in the past month I've dropped a size.

It's not a regular thing, but most days I live off of coffee and maybe a sandwich or a piece of fruit or something else at mid-day. I also have sleeping habits that are insane - about once every week or so, I have a night when I oversleep because I'm so exhausted, but most nights I just can't sleep - between insomnia and my nightmares, I have a lot of nights where I feel lucky to get (generously estimated) 4 hours of sleep.

My period has ALWAYS been preceded by a downswing in my mood (which is generally low lately anyway), and it's ALWAYS been around the same time - about 28 days apart. It's ALWAYS heavy, extremely heavy, the first few days, and I have cramps, pimples, headaches... horrible PMS that slightly impedes my ability to function.

Now, the last two months, my last cycle and now this one, have been all wrong. I have the cramps, the pimples, the headaches... but my cycle comes late, and it's EXTREMELY light, I've never had a cycle this light before, I even checked to see if I had somehow cut myself or something because it is SO light, and the wrong colour - instead of being dark and clumpy and heavy, it's light orangy brown and barely noticeable. and it smells funny, not like my period normally smells to me.

I started on Cipralex on Oct 1st, I don't see my NP again until Oct 25, but if it were related to the medication then this would be the first time it's been like this - but this problem started in September. I'm wondering if I don't have enough of some nutrient or mineral or whatever in my blood, or if I don't have enough blood - my back has been hurting, and my voiding habits are weird lately too, like I always have to go but then I try and I can't.

I'm really scared but I'm really embarrassed about these problems too, so embarrassed I can't believe I'm posting it here and not even anonymously, but I don't know if I could talk to my NP about it or not. I plan to, but I'll probably chicken out completely.

it's scaring me though. I really want children one day, and what if my diet and depression and the complications thereof make it so I can't?

2. Onyxknight

Definitely talk to your doctor! If it's been going on for a couple months, and it's that different, you need to let him/her know. Tell them your sleeping/eating/bathroom habits, any health or lifestyle changes, anything you can think of. If it's serious, you wanna get a grasp on it immediately. I wouldn't be embarrassed, doctors are trained to talk about and deal with this kind of thing daily. Some even specialize in it, so don't worry about him/her being grossed out. Besides, you and your doctor are mature adults.

3. Amicus

Definitely talk to your doctor. If, God forbid, there were something seriously wrong, you wouldn't want to sustain serious complications because you were too embarrassed to describe the problem. I assure you, it would be very difficult to tell them anything (s)he hasn't heard before :slight_smile:

Here's a script! "I've noticed that my menstrual cycle is lighter than usual. I haven't been eating or sleeping as much as I should have. Could that have anything to do with it? I also wondered about the possible effects of the medicine I've been taking."

As to why this is happening, the first thing that leaps to my mind is the fact that you haven't been eating enough. When the body enters the beginning stages of starvation, one of the first things that it shuts down is reproductive functions. That's why girls with eating disorders typically lose their period: your body isn't going to waste any energy preparing to make a baby when it's struggling to make ends meet! Your body must be especially reeling from the lack of food if you haven't been able to sleep very well. Constipation can also be a side effect of malnutrition.

So, please:
    (1) Talk to a physician about your menstrual cycle and sleep issues
    (2) Talk to a therapist about your depression and anxiety
    (3) Eat!

(*hug*) Don't let fear stand in the way of you getting healthy!

#3 Amicus, Oct 17, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. BNQ2012

You've gotten very good advice so far. I just want to reiterate... swallow the embarrassment, go to the doctor, fully describe your lifestyle changes and your symptoms. Write everything down so you don't forget things. Stress and dietary changes can make your menstrual cycle go haywire. The good news is that the change is almost certainly not permanent. When you start taking care of yourself it will probably shift back to normal. Still, you do want to rule out anything more serious.

Best of luck!

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second this!!! Definately start taking better care of yourself!!! You'll feel alot healthier and happier if you do!!!

6. Caoimhe Fayre

I'm seeing my NP on Thursday, so I'll try to tell her then.