1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

weight loss pills.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jroakwood, Feb 4, 2008.

1. jroakwood

are they really bad for people to take?
    especially for someone like me, because im 16?
    just curious.

2. Vampyrecat

Weight loss pills work by suppressing the appetite, although it has been debated that they don't actually work.

I don't know all of the side effects, but I do know you can seriously screw up your heart and your liver if you use them too much.

They aren't generally great to be used by people only 16 years old. your body is still growing. If you want to lose weight, change your diet so you're eating healthier, and do a bit of exercise.

3. justjoshoh

First, consider asking your doctor about weight loss treatments and which, if any, might be appropriate for you. Also consider asking your pharmacist for their professional opinion, and be specific about which one you were considering. They have references for both chemical and natural products and would be able to determine any side effects.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Jeremy, why are you thinking about diet pills? You do not need these!

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Some weight loss pills work by speeding your metabolism, and these can have side effects including depression. Others can cause liver and heart damage etc.

If you do need weight loss pills, get them from your doctor or pharmacist. More likely though they will suggest a change of diet and more exercise which is the proper way of dealing with this. Maybe joining a well established weight loss group such as Weight Watchers will help?

DO NOT buy weight-loss pills from some random website, no matter how wonderful they sound from the description. They will always emphasise the good points and ignore the problems. You probably won't know how they work or what drugs are contained in them.

6. Bader

Bader Guest

if they workd or had no seriose side effects they would be prescriped at your doctors easily , theres a reason why its not approved.

7. jockboy01

Exactly Whitesand. There is NO good weight loss pill on the market at this time. None, nada, nothing. Sorry. Still have to do it the old fashioned way with diet and exercise. Most pills on the market are nothing more than a waste of money, but some do have negative health impacts (and are an even a bigger waste of money therefore).

8. tehnathan

I agree that it's a very bad idea for all of the above reasons.

If you're concerned about your weight (check your body mass index), just eat healthier - or if you're doing that already, keep it up. That and exercise helps a lot - my boyfriend is proof of that, he's started eating healthier and going to the gym last month and already he's lost some weight.

Though if you're not overweight, I don't know why you would need them. If that is the case, maybe there's more to the problem than you think.

#8 tehnathan, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  9. jroakwood

im not quite sure what you mean by that?
    because i know im no way overweight. i just hate my body.
    and i try so hard. run all the time. and i cant get it to look good.
    and i dont eat horribly bad or anything, i dont even drink soda or anything.

i dunno.
    im just bleh.

10. Your body probably doesn't look bad, it's just how you perceive yourself. I was the same way people would be like you're hot and I was like ehh no not really. But like others said it would probably do more harm than good since like you said you're in no way overweight. Idk it's up to you of course it'd just be better if you didn't risk potentially harming yourself.

11. KaraBulut

mrrolemodel:

The problem with diet pills is two things:
    1. Any weight you lose comes right back the minute you stop taking them. In some cases, you gain more weight than you lost
    2. The side effects are not pleasant. It is difficult to sleep. Your heart races. You get edgy and irritable.

Based upon what you are saying, I don't think you would be happy with the result you got from any diet pill.

My recommendation to you would be to work with a trainer at a gym. You will lose fat. You will gain muscle. The trainer will work with you on your weak areas. And a good trainer will help you with your diet so that you get the right kind of fuel into your body to build muscle.

You are more likely to be happy with your appearance when you get more lean and have toned muscles- and no pill can ever give you that.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have heard that there is a weight loss Coffee sweeping America!
    Can anyone confirm that & does it work? :slight_smile:

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay