1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excessive underarm (armpit) sweating

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Gallatin, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Gallatin

So lately, I seem to be sweating uncontrollably in my underarm area. I use antiperspirant but it really seems to be having no effect. I never use to have this problem. It's come on in the past two months.

Any tips or advice on how to combat this annoying and embarrassing problem? I even tried trimming my underarm hair, so that the antiperspirant could get more on the skin and less on the hair, but I feel like its only gotten worse since I did that...

2. Ridiculous

I can sometimes be a pretty chronic under-arm sweater as well.

Shaving off the hair will help twofold, because as you said it will allow the antiperspirant to better apply to the skin, and additionally hair increases the surface area in your armpit significantly, which increases the number of bacteria in that area, which increases the amount of odour produced. So the first step is to definitely get rid of the hair. You don't have to shave it absolutely bare (because that could cause skin irritation), just get it as short as possible.

Secondly, try a couple of different antiperspirant brands. See if you can find out their active ingredients, and try to get a selection of different active ingredients to find out which is most effective. In my experience there are definitely some that are better than others.

Thirdly, put it on at night before you go to bed as well as in the morning. For me, the sweating seems to immediately get worse after putting antiperspirant on for the couple of hours following, and then afterwards it starts working. If I put it on at night it avoids this problem. It seems to last long enough to still be effective, but I put more on in the morning just to be sure. I also try to rub it into the skin by closing my arms close my body and then sort of wiggling them around - if it is just sitting in a layer on top of the skin it won't be doing anything, as the antiperspirant works by physically blocking the sweat glands.
    It stills lasts through a shower as long as you aren't too enthusiastic when washing under your arms.

Also when you are applying it, make sure you are covering a large enough area. Don't just put it right in the armpit, as you'll be missing the sweat glands above and below.

3. KaraBulut

Anything else different with your health?

4. Gallatin

Thanks for the tips, Ridiculous!

KaraBulut: not that I've noticed really. It basically started not long after I came back to university at the end of August. I had a bad run of infections during September and early October, but those have all cleared up. So yeah, besides the excessive sweating, everything's pretty much okay. I'm sleeping fine, appetite's good, not losing weight, etc. I've always had excessively sweaty palms, but never the underarms before.

5. wc1

wc1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to have that same problem for years - and the worse it gets the more nervous you get so you sweat even more. Its a never ending cycle. Antiperspirant wasnt working for me and was just ruining my clothes. But I am cured now thanks to driclor - you can get it over the counter at a pharmacist and dont need a prescription. The aluminium chloride in it effectively stops your sweat glands working which sounds bad but it works. I used it for about 2 months and then stopped and the sweat didnt come back...probably because I wasnt getting self conscious about it (the mind is a powerful thing). Probably a good thing because it is not particularly natural! Put it on at night but beware - only put a tiny amount on first because it itches like crazy to start with. I made that mistake and couldnt sleep. It works and has made a difference in my life!

6. KaraBulut

There's lots of things that can cause excessive sweating.

For now, treat the symptoms. Try the "clinical strength" antiperspirants that are available at most stores. It usually helps to apply them at bedtime and reapply them after showering or bathing if you're a morning showerer.

The next step if this doesn't work is to see a dermatologist for a prescription-strength antiperspirants. This would also be the point at which thought is given to running tests that might rule out physical conditions that can cause excessive sweating.

7. revi

revi Guest

If it smells really bad it could be because of stress i learned that the hard way... i was in school and forgot to put on deoderent and got stressed that someone might've noticed and after i got stressed some people did...

8. LisforLisa

Just saying if you've been eating less than normal that's why you're sweating more. I've heard when you sweat a lot that means you're burning fat. I found that to be true I ate low-cal for 3 days and my armpits were so sweaty when I entered ketosis.

9. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

If it becomes chronic, I've heard that botox works well to paralyse your sweat glands.

10. shy

shy

well, before you consider using one of the most toxic substance we know there is still treatment with aluminiumchloride.
    Do you think it's a physical matter or could it be caused by distress?