1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to make walking fun?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by RueBea85, Oct 26, 2012.

1. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I just recently started working at a store and it's about an hour walk away from my place. I really don't want to always spend the money on bus tickets but the walk is around an hour there and an hour back. Does anybody have any suggestions to make this trek a little more fun? I don't normally enjoy walking for too long because I find it to be a little boring if I'm walking by myself. This would be to and from work, probably around 3-5 times a week.

Just a random question, maybe I should just buy the bus tickets :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Suffocation

Bring an ipod, have some food while you walk, if you smoke.. smoke, uh, not much you can do. =/

3. prism

I walk easily at least 6 miles a day just to and from class/work.

Music. Something upbeat and fast-paced. I find myself keeping my walking rhythm with music, so if I'm in a hurry I'll put on something fast with a heavy bass.

If you're casually walking, I hear that a lot of people listen to audio books when they walk/run.

I'm also a loser and overly competitive in every aspect of my life, so I think it's fun passing people up on the sidewalk. You'll find a million little things that amuse you.

Have you considered getting a bicycle?

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Bicycling is a good call. With practice, it can cut the time it takes you to get from point A to point B in more than half, and it's really fun!

When I have to walk, I listen to music. Musics is a very big part of my life, so listening while I walk gives me time to listen to all the music I like to listen to in a day.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I suggest doing a jog there and back. You get a great workout and you'll be better at sports in general, plus you can wake up 40 minutes later.

6. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

If there are side streets or trails with nicer scenery (like less traffic, trees or gardens) that take the same length as the busier streets you can take those. Walking in nature is good for stress relief :slight_smile:

7. Night Rain

Aside from music, I often make up stories in my head, that I am on a journey in a magical land and acquire different powers as I walk on, or that I'm in some kind of romantic tragic love story. Maybe it's not your thing but it sure takes a lot of time.

8. timo

I definitely suggest to get a bicycle. If walking there takes you an hour, you can do it by bike in 20-25 minutes. It's more fun and just as healthy as walking (or so I think). Though I might be biased cause everyone in the Netherlands uses a bike and usually don't walk if something is more than 10 minutes away :grin:

I wanted to say "go running" but I assume you don't want to show up at work being exhausted.

9. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I will probably try walking it and try to get some upbeat walking music to make it a little less boring. I wouldn't really be able to ride a bike there because I don't have the money at the moment to buy a new one and the store I work at is very small, there would be no room for it in the back. But thanks for all the advice!

10. prism is right on the money.

audiobooks are rad

11. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ditto on the audiobooks (or various podcasts you can subscribe to). Also depending on your personal preference, maybe start by taking the bus in the morning so you know you'll get there on time (and get a bit more sleep in) and walking back home, also a good way to forget about whatever work annoyances of the day. Or maybe you'll find walking to work wakes you up and give you energy for your shift, and you can relax on the bus on the way back.

12. Gen

Gen

Exactly. I do this all the time. Often times I feel disappointed if I dont get my daily walk now lol. It really is the best time for thinking and music.

13. CTJ

CTJ

I often end up making up elaborate stories for strangers i see in the street, giving them reasons for being out and about. I have, on occasion, made myself laugh out loud with the stories that pop into my head. Quite embarrassing if people see you just laughing to yourself in the street.

14. Dalmatian

I don't own a car and whenever weather conditions are fine I like to avoid public transport (not just for the tickets), so I have quite a lot of experience in this regard. I do, however, use a bicycle because I absolutely love the freedom and speed of it compared to anything else; it is the best of all worlds :slight_smile: Anyway, I listen to audio books; I think they are just great. I like reading anyway and this is just a way to add some more time spent on books to my life. I don't listen to music much because it makes me feel pretty lonely when I'm alone already, but I like to listen to a radio station; you can always find some that will fit your mood.

15. wandering i

Haiku are seasonal, nature poems that are very short and easy to compose. Senryuu are the same format, but are focused on non-nature subjects.
    While you are out, pay attention to the world around you. What do you smell? What does it sound like? How does the air feel? What do you see?
    Try composing a haiku or senryuu. You have 17 syllables to work with, max, but you can make the poem shorter if you like. I usually count the syllables on my fingers as I say the words out loud. When I get to 10 and all my fingers are out, I curl them up again starting with my pinky, until only 3 fingers are left open.

The format of a haiku or senryuu is three lines:

Introduction of idea
    elaborating idea
    twist

So when the poem is read, it's like a snapshot in time, conveying the feeling of the moment and maybe a little something to spark the imagination. The scene is set, and then something changes. Here is a famous haiku:

old pond
    a frog leaps in
    water’s sound
    - Basho, "old pond"

And a popular senryuu:

haiku are easy
    but sometimes they don't make sense
    refrigerator

And here are two I wrote:

Muggy blue sky
    through the intersection
    A white butterfly passes

The last cough drop
    Sent flying by
    An especially violent sneeze

There's more information here: How to Write a Haiku Poem (with Sample Poems) - wikiHow

Not sure if you find this interesting, but trying to fit ideas into the simple and limited format while still capturing the moment is a good challenge, takes time and thought, and doesn't require any tools to do. It's perfect for walking around since you never know what will stand out to you. Even boredom or pointless mental chatter is a great topic for a senryuu. As long as you fit it into the format and it's good to you, you've made art! Plus, they are short enough that you can typically remember them until you have a chance to write them down, if you want to keep track. I find it fun to look back on old haiku and remember those little moments I otherwise would have completely forgotten.

16. 807

I am walking a lot more than I use to & sometimes simply timing yourself can help pass the time, if you know it's going to take about an hour, see how quickly it can be done & once you find a speed you know you can do, try to keep it at that. This takes more concentration than you think & thus time & distance passes quicker than expected.
    The music idea is good & I use to do that a lot, but now it mostly just irritates me as it takes my concentration away from the walking.
    Other idea to help pass the time & distance is to get either a pedometer & see what you daily exercise rate is. Another idea is a GPS device & see what your distance & speed it. I often use my GPS for this & it all adds to the distraction.

17. rday13

rday13 Guest

I would talk to one of my best friends on the phone during long walks, that seemed to make the trek more interesting. Nothing like a steaming vat of fresh gossip and crisp air to exercise in :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Audiobooks and music are great ideas as well.
    And I must admit, I used to make up the wildest stories about people I encountered on my walk. Some of them were closer to the mark than I realized, later on. It was certainly entertaining. If possible, find a friend who will walk with you sometimes and that will make things more entertaining.

18. Faden

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is more for motivation to walk in general, but on your way back you might try a little geocaching. There might be some treasures on the way, or nearby.

At this point in my life this is the only thing that motivates me to walk ANYWHERE.

XD

19. Alexander69

I love walking I can walk for hours straight alone, I listen to music and just relax and enjoy the peace of being alone lol I'm alone alot but I don't mind it :slight_smile: but of course you don't want to be sweaty when you arrive to work lol that's a no no ahha. But ya listen to music and just keep me legs movin haha :wink:

20. Chloeles12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Skip! Or if you prefer to hang on to your dignity, watch people. Try to think about who they would be, observe mannerisms, generally people-watching is interesting