1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental hospitals?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fallible, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Fallible

I think I'm beginning to relapse in my self harm..I feel as if I need extra help because of this. I already have a therapist and a psychiatrist, but I feel as if they can't help me. I feel as if I need someone to monitor me so I won't hurt myself, because I'm alone most of the time at home. I mean, I got rid of my blades that I used to cut myself with, but I've discovered how to burn myself with salt and ice. Ugh, do you think it's a good idea for me to be monitored at a mental facility? If so, how do i go about asking my mom? I'm afraid I'm really going to hurt myself. :/

2. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly? No. Why? Because most of them don't truly care about anything but the money they get either way. Want an advice? You live in Michigan, which if I remember well, it's in the USA. I would suggest you to get in touch with The Trevor Project, they specialize in dealing with suicidal issues in the LGBT youth. Seriously, get in touch with them :\

3. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    it's a great advice, try to speak about your problems with people who have been through the same isseus... it's very important to not keep pain to yourself and understand that yor aren't alone....

4. If you think it's a good idea for yourself to be monitored at an in-patient facility, or you feel that you pose an immediate risk to yourself or others, I would encourage you to go. As for asking your mother, just say what you told us: "I'm afraid I'm really going to hurt myself. Can you bring me to the emergency room?" and from there, the hospital will intervene to have you admitted to the psychiatric ward until you're more stable. If, for whatever reason, your mother doesn't want to bring you, call your therapist or psychiatrist, and explain your situation to them. They're legally obligated to report such information.

5. nwonderlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, but it might be a bit too hard for him to come out to his mother this way, get help from someone that might not even like gay people, in a place that, to be honest, scares everyone. The Trevor Project is way, way better.

6. Zephygal

If he is an immediate threat to himself, I would suggest an emergency room for stabilization. I'm sure the Trevor Project is a great program, but there is no guarantee that he will be seen immediately (plus he is a minor and any treatment they provide would have to be approved by a parent). In the emergency room, they can determine whether he needs to be inpatient or not. Not all mental facilities are about money. I've seen my fair share of them, just this year alone. Inpatient, he can receive the therapy and medication he needs. He does not have to reveal his orientation unless he chooses to. They are not there to force it out of him.

So, in my opinion, I think a good idea would be to go to your mother and explain the issue of self harm that is going on. Ask her to take you to the er. Like a prev poster stated, if she won't listen, talk to your pdoc or your gp because they are required by law to seek treatment for you if you are a danger to yourself.

I hoped some of this helped. And by all means, seek out the Trevor Project after you are stabilized for LGBT specific therapy or counseling.

7. TraceElement

Hey!
    First off, I applaud you for realizing you are relapsing and asking for help. It is a very hard thing to do. There are a number of people here who have cut and self injured, me included. We are all here to support you in any way we can.

You say that you are home alone most of the time. Is there a friends house, coffee shop, mall, or other public space that you can go when you have the urge to self harm? For me, that has helped when i have an urge. You can always exersize, make crafts, build something,or journal to keep your mind busy.There are suicide hotlines that you can call, where you can talk to somone annonymously.

You said you don't think your psychologist and psychiatrist can help. Why? They are bound by law to seek help on your behalf if you are a danger to yourself or someone else.

If you feel like you need more monitoring or supervision, tell your mom, teacher, school counselor, call a doctor, let someone know. Seeing as you are 15, I'm assuming your mom takes you to the appointments and helps pay for medicine? If so, she already knows that you are in a "fragile" state already, and is aware that mentally something is off. If you can not say it to her face, write a note and leave it somewhere where she will see it. Text her.

If you are at wits end and have reached the boiling point, then yes. Tell your mom that you need to go. Something like "I can't take it anymore. It's a matter of life and death. I need to go to the ER."

Sorry this is kind of ramble-y, but I hope it helped a little.(*hug*)

8. RebelD

Guys, don't stereotype. There are great mental healthcare facilities with staff that really do care. In my opinion it might be best to ask your mother, it might not be easy, but considering the alternative it is probably for the best.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, I don't know about your area, but where I live (Saskatchewan) the phone books have lists of hotlines you can call if you're in crisis. Try calling one of them next time you feel like self-harming and you're alone. (I've found them pretty helpful for similar issues.)