1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melatonin and intense, beyond creepy Nightmares?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jsmurf, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jsmurf

Ok, so I took a melatonin tablet for the first time in months last night, hoping to recalibrate my messed up sleep cycle.

Instead it triggered a lurid, rivetingly surreal barrage of nightmares and night terrors (where I could hear mechanical whirring sounds made worse by sensations of a phantom asphyxiator tugging me down).

Does anyone else experience this?

2. J Snow

Well I haven't had anything like you are describing, but I do feel that when I take melatonin I am more likely to remember dreams. Its very commonly reported that melatonin allows you to remember your dreams more vividly. However, I've never heard of it causing nightmares or night terrors specifically.

3. mattloveshugs92

dreams are usually metaphorical, some are prophetic, some are both.
    is something in life making you feel chaotic? and stressed? if you are on any psychotropic pills maybe it might react, if you are stressed, and feel like life is tying you down, take nice bath, and eat a favorite food, and rest more. try looking into other natural alternatives, for sleep, like exhailing as much you can holding it then exhaling more hold it for three seconds, and then inhale, 5-10 times of doing that you will clonk on the pillow, also look into herbs or pills or something you feel comfy with. dreams usually symbolise how we feel in life, through imagry.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Dreaming
    Some supplemental melatonin users report an increase in vivid dreaming. Extremely high doses of melatonin (50 mg) dramatically increased REM sleep time and dream activity in people both with and without narcolepsy.[53] Many psychoactive drugs, such as cannabis and lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), increase melatonin synthesis.[53] It has been suggested that nonpolar (lipid-soluble) indolic hallucinogenic drugs emulate melatonin activity in the awakened state and that both act on the same areas of the brain.[53]

- Wikipedia

So, are you taking high doses of Melatonin?

Also, there are other ways to fix a messed up sleep cycle. What I usually do is, say I've been getting up at 6am lately due to a gaming streak in the holidays, I'll get a couple red bulls in, or whatever energy drink you want, stay up till 6am again, but this time drink the red bulls and keep going till about 10pm. By that time I'll be absolutely shattered and sleep like a log. Should then be tired around the same time the day after too.

EDIT: It's funny you mention nightmares, because nightmares are generally the body's way of saying something is wrong. You mention incredibly vivid nightmares, that I presume leave you shaking when you wake up, or at least stunned? Sleep Paralysis can cause exactly that, if you are going to sleep on your back/on your chest then sleep on your side instead, as restricted breathing is a common cause of nightmares.

#4 Zaio, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  5. mattloveshugs92

acid reflux can cause nightmares, any recent injuries, caffeen, and the need to use the rest room.

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Caffeine is a stimulant that tricks the body into believing it has the necessary energy to perform tasks, thus removing tiredness. As for the rest, they would count as the body saying something is wrong. Usually very vivid nightmares are a result of the body requiring something to be done relatively urgently, so the body will manifest your fears in order to wake you up.

7. mattloveshugs92

yup, i usuallty dream of a toilet when i need to pee then i wake up hahaha

8. KaraBulut

Melatonin can trigger very vivid dreams. Sometimes a lower dose will help. If it happens again, you may be one of those people who just has an unusual side effect and, if so, it's probably not the best choice for a sleep aid for you.