1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back pains after workout

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Chickzak, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Chickzak

I have no clue how I've hurt my back, except the possibility of starting too fast with this fitness routine and doing some weighs too. I tend to jog or sometimes go running everyday, in the mornings, for a little while. After that, I tend to do push ups and some press ups, but lately I feel like I can't jog at all.

I dont understand what's causing the sudden back ache. Admittedly, I have started doing weights.. but nothing extreme at all. I dont know all the techinical words, but I've tend to simply lifted the 2kg/2.5kg weights -one hand at a time. Its nothing too much, but my back pain says otherwise. I have no idea how to handle this except by massaging my back to relieve the pain.

Note: Its not on-going pain, I feel it just when I try to jog. To describe it, I would say I can pin-point exactly where its coming from (upper back) and its one where it causes me to buckle over just a little. (Not to the extent I have my head in my knees, but the motion where you're about to throw up).
    Sorry for long explanation!

Any ideas Ec? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. Ridiculous

My guess would be it is caused by bad form when using your weights, seeing as it sounds like the pain started at about the same time.
    What are you doing with the weights?

3. starfish

Is the pain a one time thing or on going? Is it just in your back or do you have any radiating pain down your arms or legs?

It sounds like you might have pulled or strained a muscle. Taking a break from exercises for a couple of days might be a good idea. Also make sure your warm up and maintain proper form.

You mention that you don't know the name of the exercise of you were doing. That is worrisome. I'd suggest taking a weight training class. They can teach you proper form which is key to keep from hurting yourself.

I'd suggest seeing your doctor and have it checked out. Trust me when I say back injurys suck. I hurt my back pretty bad about a year ago, and I'm still not fully recovered. So you don't want just push through it. I did and that was a mistake

You mention messaging the area helps, you might want to check into seeing a Chiropractor. Mine has a message therapist which really helps when it starts hurting again.

4. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Definitely get it checked out especially if it continues longer than a week.

Id recommend a chiropractor certified in Active Release Therapy (a form of massage). That's my go-to for most injuries, and I have had a lot!

5. Chickzak

Thanks for the replies everyone, to answer your questions:

Ridiculous: I'm basically do bicep curls, lift and lower, the weights. I try to keep my back straight when I do them, but as I said its nothing extreme.

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2012 at 02:51 PM ----------

starfish:
    I can only feel the pain when I try to run or lean my back against something hard. Otherwise I don't really feel it.

I always warm up and stretch before I work out, but quick question, how would you stretch your back properly before working out so you don't feel any aches hours after exercising?

Its the basic bicep curls where I shift between the two weights. Left and right arm, sometimes simultaneously (about 20 reps each).

Thanks for your advice, I'm curious though, how did you hurt your back? Was it using weights or another problem? You dont have to go into detail if you dont want to:slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your advice! :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 5th Nov 2012 at 02:51 PM ----------

tapsilog2012:
    Thanks for this, I might see a doctor in a couple of days if I still have a problem :slight_smile:

6. Ridiculous

Well some form tips for bicep curls:

• Sit down when you do them. This will help to keep your body stationary and prevent you from swaying back and forward as you do the exercise. Not only will this help prevent injury but it will improve the exercise, because it ensures you aren't getting any momentum from movement in the rest of your body - your arms will be doing all the work.
    • Don't alternate between arms within the same set (i.e. don't do one lift on one arm, then one on the other and so on). Stick to either doing a full set of just one arm at a time - e.g. 8 lifts on one arms, then 8 on the other - or lift both at the same time.
      When you alternate between arms, you will be constantly shifting the load and as a result your torso will be twisting from side to side the entire time. Alternating arms also usually leads to people getting too enthusiastic and they start rushing as they build up momentum. Both of these makes you prone to injury, and also makes the exercise less effective as you're getting your power from the movement of your body, not the movement of your arms.
    • Make sure you take your time. You should spend 2 seconds lifting the weight up, 1 second holding it at the top, 2 seconds lowering the weight, and 1 second at the bottom. Progress comes from the time spent in the lifting and lowering phase, which is why they are quite long to maximise what you get out of them.
      The only thing that should be moving is your lower arm below the elbow; everything else should be completely motionless.
      If taking this long on each lift seems to easy I'd suggest increasing the weight: it's almost always much safer and more effective to increase the weight, rather than increasing how fast you do the exercise.

7. starfish

I was doing a clean and jerk. Then the next day I went running, and my back started hurting and I decided to push through it and run 5 miles.

Knowing what I know now I think I injured my Psoas muscle. It still flares up from time to time. I have to be careful, if I push it too far it starts bothering me.

8. Chickzak

Ridiculous: Your tips are great, they're all I thought about when I was doing weight training yesterday :slight_smile: Deciding to take it slow is the best advice written, because thinking about it, the back pains started when I shifted between the weights too fast. So in future, take it slower and keep my back up straighter

starfish Hey sorry to hear that- and thanks for sharing. Its tough, but I hope your back gets better in time.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: