1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sudden change in sensitivity to temperatures?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by fatalmoon91, Nov 5, 2012.

1. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know what else to call it. About a month ago rather than my normal insensitivity to temperatures where i would only notice the hot or cold at an almost extreme level, it switched to where the slightest change makes me feel hot or cold. i have no idea whats caused this...but its really freaking me out. part of me is wondering whether or not something happened with my brain because when i found out that i was epileptic a couple years ago the neurologist told me it originated in the part of my brain that houses my dictionary and my "sensitivity to feeling" though he wasn't very specific on what that meant....should i be worried about it?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well, the Hypothalamus is the part of the brain that is responsible for temperature sensitivity. It is also responsible for hunger, thirst and fatigue. Have you noticed any changes to any of them? If so then there may be a chance that it has been damaged in some way, otherwise I think you're safe in that aspect.

Have you been feeling on edge/stiff/depressed lately? Serotonin, the feel-good neurotransmitter that acts as a reward chemical for cells, relaxing them, is also responsible for mood and temperature. If your rates of Serotonin have decreased/increased then that could explain the change in sensitivity to temperature.

Other than that I'm afraid I can't think of anything else. You'd certainly know if you had the flu or fever, so I'm not going to include those.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to add - You should try and increase Serotonin levels and see if it changes anything. Serotonin is rejected by the brain if it enters the central nervous system, so for that reason you can't take Serotonin injections. However, you can take Tryptophan, which is what Serotonin is comprised of. Certain things like Bananas contain Tryptophan, which why some people recommend eating Bananas during bouts of depression.

All the best.

#2 Zaio, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2012
  3. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm as far as abnormalities in hunger or thirst go i haven't noticed any changes...however i recently moved back in with my parents and since then I've felt like I;m being watched by something thats not there....so i guess that could be considered on edge.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Does your temperature only fluctuate while you feel you're being watched?

The body has many ways to defend itself, creating the perfect environment for engaging in a fight would require a regulated temperature, or altering/secreting various neurotransmitters which could have a wide range of effects. I'm not entirely certain if neurotransmitters can change your temperature while being secreted in excess amounts, but I would say it's highly probable that they can.

You might have to get KaraBulut in on this one, as I just know various medical facts from textbooks, he's the only one who should be able to give you an accurate answer on a complicated subject like this one.

5. fatalmoon91

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmm no it doesn't really change when i get the feeling im being watched...it just feels like im more sensitive to change lately

6. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I have absolutely no idea then, I've sent a message to KaraBulut though so hopefully he'll have an answer for you soon.

All the best.

7. KaraBulut

Are you taking any meds or do you have any health issues that are new?