1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden want to do drugs..

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jaysuss, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jaysuss

Very recently I have begun to think that it would be a good thing if I tried drugs like marijuana, ecstasy, or crack. I think it has to be associated with me being gay but i don't understand these urges. I know it is bad to do just because it is illegal but I don't know why I just want to get involved in them so much. Is it right for me to experiment or is this a sign of some weird mental illness or something?

2. DhammaGamer

Have you done those drugs before? I would highly recommend that you stay away from cocaine and ecstasy. Weed will make you lazy and uninteresting, but I don't consider it to be a dangerous substance.

3. julia

Um, I really hope you are joking. In no way does doing drugs have to do with being gay. Drugs are bad, they will ruin your life, that's all I have to say.

4. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you already know the answer and know better. Drugs do nothing for you but become an expensive addiction and hurt your body. They really aren't worth trying.

5. All Star

All Star Guest

Drugs aren't worth trying. I mean, just read the posts ahead of me. Stay strong, and don't do it.

6. BudderMC

I could very, very weakly understand you wanting to do it if you had a good reason, but you don't sound like you even know why you want to.

To try something potentially permanently-harmful for no apparent reason (or evident desire) is not a good idea.

7. csocm

I'm sorta the same way, I am kinda tempted to try them to see what the big deal is about. But I also know they are gross. I joke around about drugs and stuff a lot and mainly thats probably because I am curious, but at the end of the day, I would rather not do that stuff to my body.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's the problem:

Many of the more refined or synthetic drugs are so powerful they can literally hijack the reason centers of the brain with a single use. It doesn't mean you're instantly addicted (though many people have said they knew they were addicted to crack or meth or heroin the first time they did it) but it *does* mean that your reason centers that would normally make you say "WTF am I doing! I can never do this again!" can often get shut down... and you convince yourself that doing it again... "just this one more time"... will be OK. Except that it is really rare that it is "just one more time."

For many people the sensations from the drugs are so powerful that they just immediately want more. And that's exactly where the risk lies, because the feeling *is* positive.

But honestly, I've had a number of friends who "tried" various drugs and the majority of them ended up with pretty serious problems for the reasons I've outlined. Some are still struggling with trying to stay clean after years of trying. Others lost a number of months or years of their lives to drugs and have worked very hard, including multiple relapses, to get and stay clean. Still others failed out of school or got fired from jobs because their productivity went to shit. And others who have done E often suffer months of really, really crushing depression.

It's easy to say "Oh, I'd never let that happen" or "Oh, that won't happen to me" except that *every single person* who ever starts down that path says that.

Really, I don't put things this way very often, but if you give even the slightest shit about your well being, future, and productivity, trying crack, cocaine, ecstasy, heroin, vicodin, xanax, or any similar drugs is about the stupidest thing you could ever do.

9. Messed Up

Messed Up Guest

I say no. Don’t do it. It’s not a mental health thing but that doesn’t make it right to experiment either. There is nothing beneficial about hard party drugs.

"I think it has to be associated with me being gay” 1) get that out your head now because that is the SILLIEST thing I’ve ever heard and 2) don’t add to a stereotype if that’s what you think.

You are smarter than that I’m sure. You don’t have to try drugs to prove anything to anyone or to even have a good time. It’s illegal, yea, but it’s DUMB too.

10. chelshy

Trust me as a futer cop and as someone who has seen first hand what they do rotting out your teeth and all sorts of other yucky stuff. They make you look like death. And the people around you it affects them badly. Trust me as a familey member of several diffrent addicts. It hurts watching someoone you love do that. Watching them slowly die. Its not pleasent its heart breaking and quite frankly. All the addicts iv seen all skinny and toothless hairless or in the process of loosing all that. Its freakin scary. Like terrifyingly

Now if you do honestly want to at least stay safe no sharing ANY thing and preferably try pot it wont kill you or hurt you. Just ... Stay safe and know you have us to talk to no matter what.

11. Ticklish Fish

Jay, I am totally sneaking on this forum, but don't. <3

And this is coming from the perspective of science. Drugs right now have binding sites that affects multiple parts of your body, and long term usages can create this dependency that... (in psychological sense), send you down a disastrous path.

I mean, I have sexual urges and all, but I don't go like hump every thing I see.

12. KaraBulut

Well, what is the source of the interest and the attraction to the idea? What is it about doing drugs that you think is going to be different?

13. jaysuss

I just feel like it's a easy way to gey my mind off myself and everything else in life.

14. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So the reason you want to take drugs is so you can forget about the current problems you have? Taking drugs might make you feel "good" however by taking them you could become addicted and this will just create another problem. So by not taking drugs you're just preventing another problem from being added to your life.

15. cityofangels

cityofangels Guest

I would highly suggest not even trying any hardcore drugs. Marijuana every once in a while may be fine, but don't try the hardcore drugs. A family friend of ours got on cocaine a few years ago when he was about 22, and since then he had a daughter. He is trying to clean himself back up for her, and stay off but he keeps slipping up. He was doing well for a few months, but then he got back on cocaine just a few nights ago. He ended up grabbing a gun, and trying to commit suicide. He is now in a mental hospital until they can make sure he is not going to try to commit suicide again. Drugs will ruin your life. Same with ecstacy. Drugs are illegal for a reason. They are highly addicting, and they can kill you. Think about the affect it will have on your loved ones. There is nothing good that come of doing drugs.

16. chelshy

If you are having problems and want to feel better I sugest talking to someone. Doesnt have to be a therapist just find some one to talk to and that will help tremendisly. Trust me on that iv had similar feelings but instead of drugs I was hurting my self. I found someone to talk to and it realy helped.

17. Kyllani

I would suggest you stay away from the harder drugs. I lost my car, apartment, relationship with parents and friends because of hard drugs. It took me years to get over the panic attacks cocaine caused me to have. They're seriously just not worth it. Sure, you think I can try it once and then I can give it up...but then the next thing you know you're forking over your entire paycheck every week to chase a high you'll never reach.

About marijuana, however...I can't in good faith tell you to stay away from it. Occasional marijuana usage is just fine, but it's still expensive. I quit a few months ago for monetary reasons, but before that I was a dean's list student and I smoked often.

18. Aquilo

Hello,

I'm not an expect on drug or health.. however I know a bit about the biology behind it, so here a little summary about one of the effects of hard drugs.

I'd really recommend staying away from the harder drugs at least. Don't think that extasy is a soft-drug and entirely safe to use either. The problem with many hard drug are, that they cause a lot of neurotransmitters (molecules used in the brains for signalling other brain cells) to be released, giving you a good feeling.

The trouble with this is that you get overstimulation of your brain cells. Brain cells adept to overstimulation by reducing the amount of receptors for these molecules. This means that a same amount of neurotransmitter causes a lighter response in the brain cell afterwards.

The troubles with this are at least: 1) you need more drugs to get the same feeling, causing addiction 2) If the drug you use makes you happy, you might end up depressed if you're not using the drug, because the brain cells have adapted so you'd need more neurotransmitter.

If read studies about extasy that this reduction in receptors (the adaptation) may stay for about 7 years :eek: If you wish to read these articles, I think you can find them with google or give me a tell and I'll try to find it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The explanation above is mainly about extasy and other hard drugs and doesn't explain all effects of using drugs. I haven't read many conclusive studies about marihuana yet, although it seems it's at least less addictive.

An other reason not to use drugs I haven't read in this thread here yet, is that many drugs finance criminals and is thereby immoral. All that cocaine going from South-America to the USA is causing many deaths a year in Mexico and other countries.

Should you however use drugs like marihuana (and I wouldn't recommend it) please inform yourselves first about the effects and use in a safe place and with someone who didn't use it who can call for help if things go wrong. Also many drugs can have wildly different concentrations of their active substance, so beware of that (Many tourists coming to the Netherlands for drugs overdose because the concentration of THC in marihuana is a lot more than they expected here).

tldr. Most drugs are dangerous and can cause serious damage, and are unethical to buy.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the absolute worst possible reason for considering trying drugs. That mindset almost invariably leads to addiction.

What addicts find (usually after their life is in shambles) is that all the problems are still there when they come off the drugs and many of them have been made worse by the various side effects (physical, psychological, and social) of drug use.

Additionally, most addicts become addicts because (among other reasons) they didn't have adequate life skills to deal with the feelings that are unpleasant. Drugs are never an answer to that, at least not one that works.

It's clear you've got some things going on that are really bothering you and you're having difficult coping. You'd do much better to get some help with some coping strategies and skills to learn to deal with the feelings, rather than trying to numb them with drugs (or for that matter, with other numbing activities like overeating, smoking, etc.)

I would be happy to talk to you more about this if you would like, and I would also suggest that you see if it's possible to see a therapist, or perhaps talk with your guidance counselor at school. There are lots of resources to help you, and much better ways to do so than starting to use drugs of any sort, weed and alcohol included.

20. withoutApaddle

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If my leg slips under a lawn mower, taking a bunch of morphine doesn't make the bleeding stop. Don't do it.