1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Took My Youth, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Took My Youth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A few months ago I was promised EMDR treatment for my PTSD (but my psychiatrists are useless and haven't started it yet) - could anyone let me know what it entails?

2. KaraBulut

This website provides a pretty good explanation of EMDR and other treatment options for PTSD:

Therapy Advisor - Home

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    EMDR is extremely effective for PTSD and has been in use, with high success rates, at veterans hospitals in the US for 20+ years. These days, it is primarily conducted using headphones that alternate tones in each ear. It isn't fully understood exactly how it works, but essentially, it seems to disrupt the pathways between the memories of the stressful incident, and the emotions associated with the memories.

After successful EMDR treatment, you will still remember the traumatic events, but they will no longer have any sense of discomfort or strong emotion associated with them; instead, it will just be a sort of disconnected memory.

I don't know enough about the healthcare system you're in, but I would assume there is some sort of escalation procedure if you are getting inadequate care. EMDR does take time, and can only be done one-on-one with a therapist, social worker, or other professional trained in EMDR techniques. But it does not require a psychiatrist to do it, so it should not be something you'd have to wait until your psychiatrist has time to do with you.