1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoloft and shaking

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by J Snow, Nov 7, 2012.

1. J Snow

Okay, so due to my anxiety levels and depression associated with the pressure of transition, I was encouraged my friends and therapist to talk to my doctor about antidepressants, so last thursday I was given a prescription for zoloft. I have mixed feelings about it, which I think is natural, but I'm more or less okay with it, except for a few issues I'm having.

I have been getting really weird shakes. Its hard to explain, and I can't tell how noticeable it is, but it comes and goes. Its mostly my legs, and its pretty much just like short twitches. I don't mind it alone, but I'm really getting worried about people in class or friends noticing it. It hasn't been a huge problem so far, but I'm nervous because for the first 6 days I've only been taking half of a pill, but come tonight I'm supposed to start taking an entire one. I'm worried that the shaking is going to be a lot harder to control after today. Also, if I get anxious, I really kind of lose my ability to control it, and start shaking pretty bad.

To be honest, I've really been feeling like I drank like 6 cups of coffee at all hours of the day. And I've had a very reduced appetite (Which I'm not going to complain about, being over weight)

Also, its starting to get better a little bit, but I have been having trouble getting sleep. I have been waking up pretty consistently 6 hours after falling asleep. I think in the last week I was able to get 8 hours once.

Most of this stuff seems to be pretty normal side effects, but I've heard mixed things looking online about whether they go away after a while or not. Just wondering if anybody else has had these experiences, and if they side effects went away after a while, or for that matter is I should expect them to get worse now that I'm increasing my dosage.

2. alwayshope11

In my experience with anti depressants, side effects will wear off as your body gets used to the medicine..that's y dosages r increased slowly..however if the side effects continue u may need to try a different anti depressant

3. MixedNutz

My bf takes Zoloft for his anxiety. He had these same type of symptoms but as his body got used to it they wore off.

The only side effects he still retains is tiredness after taking it, and vivid crazy dreams.

He's also found that missing doses can be trouble, anxiety will come back suddenly and strong.

4. alwayshope11

Yea I hate missing doses..I take luvox

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Those are pretty normal symptoms when you first start using it, they will go away after a while. Zoloft was the only thing that worked for me, I've used it for years without having any problems.

However, a couple of months ago all of a sudden I started reacting differently to it and it made me very very very depressed, and I've heard the same thing happening to other people. So the moment you feel it's starting to have reverse effects, tell your doctor immediately.

6. KaraBulut

Sensitivity to cold alternating with "hot flashes" is a common complaint with antidepressants in this class. A lot of people describe being under the covers trying to get warm then a few minutes later, being in a hot sweat and throwing the covers off.

Let the physician who prescribed it know that you've having shakes. They may tell you that it will take a week or two for you to adjust or they may want to try a different drug to see if you have less side effects.

7. J Snow

I haven't been getting the hot flashes, its just the weird jerky movements. Its almost like jumping. Its the kind of jump movement you make if you have a falling dream. I feel like its really noticeable and I'm getting worried about being around people...

8. I'm not an expert or anything, but I think worrying about it could be making it worse, since shaking is a sign of anxiety. Not that you can just stop worrying, but that's something to consider. As for if it will get better and when, I've never been on Zoloft, but I've been on psych meds that produced side effects, and generally they went away after two weeks, even if my dose was elevated.

9. KaraBulut

That would not be a normal side effect, so it's one that you should report to your physician.

10. J Snow

Interestingly enough, last night I took the full pill instead of a half for the first time as I was instructed, and I haven't been noticing it today. If it returns I'll be sure to contact him.

---------- Post added 8th Nov 2012 at 02:58 PM ----------

I think that could be part of it. It certainly was seeming to get a lot worse when I got anxious.

11. PatrickORLY

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I was on zoloft for a while. The side effects are different for every person. Infact, zoloft had the opposite effect on me. I was slowly turning into a drowsy mess. Everything was in slow motion. I quit it cold turkey after a year, which wasn't good because then I got "the zaps"

I am sure your doctor would not have put you on something that would hurt you. I suggest consulting with them your next visit.

12. J Snow

So interestingly as soon as I went from 50mg to 100mg the jerky involuntary movements stopped.

What isn't good is that I feel tired all the time now. Even when I do get enough sleep I just feel like I have less energy. I used to love going out to the bars and socializing with friends, and anymore I feel like I just feel more content staying in and being alone. And like right now I got 8 hours of sleep last night and I can barely keep my eyes open. I just want to go home and go to bed. Normalish?

13. KaraBulut

Each of these drugs has a slightly different side effect profile. Some of them can cause insomnia. Zoloft seems to be one that causes drowsiness.

Talk to you doctor. This is probably a side effect of the Zoloft. If you body is not adapting and you're remaining drowsy after being on the med for a couple of weeks, he may want to try another med.

14. Bree

I just have one question- do you feel that the drug is helping you despite all side effects and high risk of dependency? If you used to enjoy socializing and don't anymore, it may just be making things worse. When you come off of the drug later you may find that you don't have any hobbies anymore...and get really depressed.

15. J Snow

Oh no, don't get me wrong, it doesn't really bother me. I'm much more content then I used to be. I still get kind of anxious when I think about things, but it just lasts a moment and then I just move on to my next thought, unlike before when I used to dwell on things and freak out to the point where everything seems hopeless and I just want to give up on life. Its not like I never get down now, but I feel much more stable.