1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nose piercing...?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by rainbowbear, Nov 7, 2012.

1. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

So I have a couple questions relating to nose piercings, and I'm pretty sure it would go in this section. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

So, if a person has minor allergies (hayfever type allergies) would a nose piercing in the nostril region affect that? How much does it hurt to get a nostril piercing done? Does it interfere with working or anything else? Where would be the best type of place to get it done? And if I wanted to get a nose piercing, since I'm sixteen, how would I go about talking about that with my parent? O_O Asking about that seems more intimidating then when I came out of the closet... :bang: :help:

2. bubblehead1230

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm I wouldn't know much as far as the allergies go simply because I don't have them. It depends on how high a person's pain tolerance level is. I have my lip, tongue, nose, eyebrow, and multiple ear piercings and I would have to say that my nose was one of the more painful as far as healing and pain goes due to it being cartilage. It wasn't unbearable, but it was uncomfortable. The main thing I have a problem with when dealing with facial piercings is when I shower. I instinctly go to wipe my face with the towel and pull almost every dang piercing out. It hurt especially right after having them done. I don't have a problem when it comes to work. If you work in a food environment they might say otherwise due to health code regulations. Now when it comes to talking to your parents I'm not sure about that one either seeing as I waited until I was 18 to make my face look like a tackle box :grin: I hope i was able to help a little in some way. Best of luck to ya!!

3. Sweet Witch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know about allergies but if you mean just how a runny nose can fact it I've never had a problem. I just make sure I clean it when I have a cold but I've never had serious irritation. It doesn't hurt in my opinion but then I have a lot of piercingly lol. It hurts a lot at first and while healing it hurts if you bump it (watch showering and changing) but its worth it if you really want it. One thing I used to do with my parents when I still had to ask permission was start with something they really wouldn't want to happen then just throw out what I wanted in the first place as an alternative. It's priming and it works great haha.

As for work and such most jobs allow nose piercings as long as its a stud but some have no tolerance for facial piercings. And for which side to do it on, it's about preference. Either will do. Go to a clean piercing/tattoo parlor. Make sure the needle is in a sterile package and that the jewelry itself is sterilized or per packaged.

4. Tiny Catastrophe

Well I pierced my own nose with a needle in high school and it really wasn't painful at all. I've pierced other things like my lip, my tongue and my bellybutton myself (yes it was incredibly stupid) and those were horrible pain compared to my nose and I took those out (got them professionally pierced years later). The only piercing I did myself that I left in was my nose and I had no issues with it and it's been in for about 5 years so I can't imagine getting it professionally pierced would hurt all that much. And as for allergies and stuff, yeah the piercing is kind of a pain in the ass when you have a stuffy nose and you have to kinda be careful when you blow your nose that you don't squeeze too hard because I've cut my septum with my nose ring before doing that. You just have to get used to it.

5. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

<3 Thank you, this is helpful some. That does seem like it would be the biggest thing to have a problem with. I know just with having multiple piercings in my ears, threads and towels enjoy getting stuck and attempting to pull the piercings out.

:slight_smile: thanks, this is really helpful! And I tend to do the same with my parents lol.

Self piercing? Wow. I wouldn't have the bravery to do that. O_O This is helpful, thank you. :slight_smile:

6. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I am a person with a very low pain tolerance, and the nose piercing really doesn't hurt at all. There is a little discomfort when getting it done, but it lasts for only seconds, and my left eye did water but my piercing has never hurt so much that made me want to cry or anything. Just be careful when you're drying your face with a towel because the piercing can get stuck in the towel and it'll pull which does hurt, but not a great amount. And like the above posters said it can be a little annoying when you're trying to blow your nose or clear your nose when it's runny, but it's not that big of a nuisance.

I just recently got a job and they haven't said anything about it. I don't really think people notice it all that much. I've never had to change a nose piercing but I've heard it's hurts A LOT. I've only had mine for about 4 months but my friends had to get hers changed and she cried when they did it. I'm not trying to scare you just give you a heads up :slight_smile:

7. oblina

I don't have a regular nose ring but I do have a septum piercing. Whenver I get sniffles I just flip it back up inside my nose just incase I have to blow my nose alot :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

When talking to your parents I've found the most reassuring thing you can tell them is that it is a temporary thing if you want, the scars are usually minimal, and you can always take it out if you have to. I told my parents that I knew I only had so long before I would have to suck it up and take it out, but I may wait until I am in my thirties with my career field being creative. Anyway, good luck!

8. shy

shy

I got hayfever, too and I want to get a piercing but I'll not get mine on the nose. Depending on the exact location it would stress my nose too hard and also stuff could keep sticking on it and I think this is gross. I'll just go for the ear :grin:

9. mickie newton

I've had a piercing in my right nostril for about 15 years and never had any problems. You don't get anything come through the hole when you have hayfever or a cold if that's what you mean. People say it does, but those who say it don't have one! lol

Does it hurt when it's done...well mine was done with a gun and was extremly quick. The worst thing that happened was my right eye watered! lol

Oh and I have a stud in my nose, not a ring. I even have a bell back on it. All I do is keep it clean. Take it out a few times a week and clean everything and I also replace the bell stud every couple of months. I've never yet had an infection, so I must be doing something right :icon_bigg

10. Sherri

Because your nose is cartilage, the responses on this are going to vary. You'll find people who have done it and never had a problem, and you'll also find people who, no matter what they do, cannot keep a nose ring because of persistent issues. You won't know which group you fall into until you go and try it out xD. That said, I'm in the latter group. I've always had problems with my cartilage wherever I've tried to have it pierced at, but the worst that ever happened was an infection (area got very swollen and painful and I had to go get some standard antibiotics from the doctor; it went away in a few days).

There is little harm in trying. Cartilage piercings hurt more than flesh piercings for me, but some people say they don't feel any pain at all with it. However, they don't hurt so much that it's a big deal at all :shrug:. Totally worth it. If you're like me and sleep on your side with one half of your nose touching your pillow, I'd get the opposite side done. For instance, I sleep on my left side, so I'd get my right nostril done. Otherwise, you could have a tendency to turn over to the dominant side in your sleep without even realizing you're doing it, and thus irritate the piercing :X.

Good luck with it! If you want to pitch it to your parents, just show them how mainstream it is to have nose rings. I live in the conservative Southern United States and nurses in hospitals here are allowed to wear nose rings, it's so common. Tell them you want one because you think they look cute and they can easily be taken out and covered up later in life when you decide it doesn't look cute any more. Relatively quite harmless! Show them that you're educated on aftercare* (I'll put in a routine at the end of the post) and that you're going to be responsible about this.

*Typical aftercare (Your piercer should tell you this -- mine didn't, I lost a piercing b/c of it, so I always tell others):
    Wash your hands thoroughly before starting (or before you touch your piercing, ever). Dissolve sea salt into warm to mildly hot tap water. The ratio should be 1/4 tsp of sea salt per 8 oz. of warm water. Adjust accordingly depending on the size of the cup you're using. You should preferably put the cup on a table and lean forward, submerging your nose in it for about 5 minutes. Once the five minutes are up, pour the sea salt water down the sink, rinse the cup, and refill it with regular tap water (any temp works). Then, resubmerge your nose and shake it around in the cup just for a few seconds, so that you make sure you've got all the sea salt water rinsed off the piercing. If there is any discharge still left on the piercing, you can gently remove it with a wet Q-tip.

Important notes:

Sea salt - This is ESSENTIAL. It cannot be regular salt, or any salt that has iodine in it. It has to be non-iodized. Iodine will irritate your piercing, as will most soaps you would use to clean it. Sea salt is gentle and naturally has the tendency to pull infection out of piercings.

Warm water - The water shouldn't be hot exactly, but somewhere between hot and warm. It's essential to have warm water because it increases blood flow to your nose when you let it soak in warm water, and you need that increased blood flow for healing. Your nose is cartilage, which naturally has very poor circulation. The reason some people can't ever seem to keep cartilage piercings is that some have better blood flow (and thus healing capabilities) in their cartilage than others.

Rinsing after - As good as sea salt is, if you let the sea salt water dry on your piercing, the salt traces left over can dry the piercing out and irritate it. If you simply rinse the piercing off after doing your sea salt soak, you'll avoid this.

Good luck!

11. The Queen Bee

Hmm... If your allergies force you to blow your nose often, then it can be a bit annoying.
    You might scratch the inside of your nose... But if you do it carefully, it should be OK.

Nose piercings?? Piece of cake...
    The piercings that hurt the most are the ones that go through cartilage (upper ear, e.g.)... also, they take a lot longer to heal.
    You said you'd be getting the piercing in one nostril. That's not cartilage, so it won't take as much time as if it were in the septum.
    You gotta watch out for boogers (I know, I know)... Nose, as well as mouth, vagina, penis piercings are delicate because those are delicate areas with bacteria all around.
    Overall I've never had a problem with either one of my piercings.
    My left eyebrow piercing, though, got a bit infected (pus oozing out)... but nothing alcohol couldn't take care of.

I think for nose and ear piercing using the pistol is better. It's just faster and in my experience that makes it less painful.

#13 The Queen Bee, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. WilliamM

WilliamM Guest

Well allergies i wouldnt know about but asking a parent im good at lol since i got both my labret and tongue pierced while i was underage. I would just straight up ask them if i could. If you dont feel like you can do that just start talking to them about how you like nose piercings and such for awhile then that mite make it easier to ask.
    I believe nose piercings take a few months to heal but im not to sure