1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can sadness/depression lead to defects sexually?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KatoKumi, Feb 11, 2008.

1. KatoKumi

Weeeeell, this is kinda an embarrassing one for me. But I don't know what I'm feeling really. I was out with a friend of mine, and he was having trouble with his girlfriend, and I was having problems with...my life. Nothing specifically, I guess. Just my life.

And you know how boys get sometimes. Well, at least this one. If he's not getting it from someone, he'll get it from someone else. [Which is why he didn't make a good boyfriend to begin with]. I'm kinda his...fuck buddy, well, used to be.

Then, he started kinda, moving in on me, and honestly I've just not been in the mood lately. I don't feel the need to masturbate or anything; because there isn't much in my system that I'd even want to.

So what I'm asking is, what does this sprout from? Is sadness [not sure if I should call it depression] interfering with my internal function with sex? Or am I just feeling something normal? If you're not in the mood, you're not in the mood?

I don't know; I feel bad. I think I hurt his feelings. Normally when he does something like that, I'm all good and ready. And I can't really tell him that I'm sad, or at least not go into detail about it; because he's the type that just doesn't really care all that much. So I don't wanna go into detail or feel weak if he's not even gonna care further than "it doesn't look like he's gonna fuck me either."

:/ I don't know; I just wanna get over this.
    Normally my body doesn't go through such changes in sadness, but I'm so confused this time.

2. justjoshoh

I recall reading somewhere that a study indicated that depression may lower your sex hormones. I'll have to see if I can't find the source somewhere.

If you are prescribed medication for depression (SSRIs), there is a side effect of lower sex drive.

As far as your buddy goes, a simple explanation might solve the issue. Since he isn't the type to care about details: keep your explanation brief, tell him the truth (stress played a role), acknowledge your future interests (if applicable), and let it go from there. Chances are that even if his feelings were hurt, it will pass.

3. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sadness/depression does have an effect on sex drive. It all stems from a "can't be arsed to do anything" feeling. Also, you may just not be in the mood. This phase can last for a short or long time. As for your friend all you need to tell him is that it wasn't anything personal but you just weren't in the mood. You shouldn't have to give any other explanation especially if, as you say, he's not the type that cares much for explanations. Good luck.

4. Louise

Sex is 90% psychological. Feeling sad/depressed or just generally lost and adrift in life has an enormous effect on your libido.

Is there a chance that you are a bit fed up with being a fuck buddy and would like someone who treats you with a bit of respect, how you deserve to be treated? This might also be symptomatic of your general sadness. Letting people use you when and as it suits them for physical pleasure is not a healthy relationship to be in and can only lower your self estime.

I think you have every right to tell your friend that you are not in a good place in your head at the moment and until you feel better about yourself/life you don't really feel much like sex. This will ease the strain on him ie; it's not his fault you don't want to have sex with him and it will give you a chance to look at yourself and your life and see which parts of it are making you unhappy.

Don't get me wrong if you like being his fuck buddy and you are happy in this relationship, who am I to judge? It is just that in most of these cases one person is the user and one person is being used. What happens if you feel like a bit of sex but your friend is fine with his girlfriend at that time, is it just tough titty on you? Seems a bit hard/unfair on you.

Anyway back on subject. Yes it is completely normal for you to lose your libido when you are not feeling good about yourself, it happens to just about everyone at some time in their lives. Don't worry about it, just work on sorting your head out and the rest will follow. :kiss:

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, depression can lead to lower sex drive. Unfortunately, some of the medications that they give you for depression worsen it. I went on Paxil for awhile and could not orgasm at all when I was taking that stuff. My brother is on it and he told me that it takes him an extremely long time to orgasm on it too. That was not a fun conversation to have with my brother. :roflmao:

6. panda

Not tonight Honey.I have a headache.It happens to everyone.

7. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

When I am sad/depressed I typically don't feel the need to masturbate as much as normal. I think mood does have a lot to do with sex drive.

8. Jim1454

Totally. I've found that with my medication. Of course - it depends on how you look at it - whether it's a good thing or a bad thing! :icon_wink

And yes - being sad or depressed also affects your sex drive. But perhaps you've got to the point where you want to be with someone that actually cares how you feel. The fact that you KNOW he doesn't care likely isn't helping matters.

Besides, it won't kill you to go without for a while. Just don't let the depression take over or get progressively worse. It can become a self-fulfilling prophesy and your depression can send you into a real 'death spiral' of sadness and negativity.

So work on that. Good luck!

9. jockboy01

Yes, sadness (or depression, but that's a longer time frame sadness) can lower your sex drive. So it's normal. If it continues for months, it would be considered depression and need treatment. But we all have our ups and downs.

As to the boy, yeah, I'd just say you're sorry but aren't in the mood. It happens to everybody and doesn't mean anything. Although I hope you realize that this clearly appears to be a relationship of convenience with this boy and don't develop any emotional attachments.

10. twister

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    maybe you're just tired of being the "fuck buddy" as you put it... that in itself could be making you sad, not in the mood etc...

11. Bader

Bader Guest

when i get sad i masturbate alot more , i dont know i just want sex sex sex,
    i guess diffrent people with diffrent reactions to sadness/depression?

12. sexyalex

indeed, in fact.

1. when ur depressed not only does it prevent males form having an erection but it makes the production of spermatoza allot less(no pregnancy can take place).

2. for females, it will make their period stop due to the overproduction ostrogen yet they might think their pregnant. no girls, it just means u need to relax.

3. scientificaly proven, nervousness can prevent u from being horney. (even when having sex it's best for ur partner to put on ur condom for u if ur tops :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

4. even if u do become horney chances are u won't come to a satisfied climax

13. KatoKumi

Okay, sorry I didn't respond, but I didn't really know if I found it appropriate or not. But then I realized that I should thank you all. Because you're all right in your own way. Honestly, I don't feel like letting him use me to cheat on his girlfriend. And that does make it that I'm not in the mood. And the sadness piles on top to make it this super anti-horny thing.

I'm alright now; back on my feet, but nothing's much different.

He's alright again. He's getting some, and I suppose that's good for him. It's not that I want someone to respect me more. It's just that I want to give respect to his girlfriend. And I kinda want him to know that I'm not as shameless as I appear. I'd feel guilty if I slept with him that night anyway.

Thank you again, everyone. For your help.
    Pretty confusing time for me.
    I almost never ask for help.

So a different thank you:
    For proving that it's okay to ask for it sometimes. [:

14. Louise

I know it is not easy to ask for help so good on you. Of course this is a confusing time, there is a lot going on in your life. Just one thing; it is good of you to want to respect his girlfriend but you too deserve respect. I don't feel it is a question of being shameless, we all of us take comfort where we can, sometimes it may be a bad call sometimes not, but being a 'fuck buddy' is never very valourising.

You are worth more than that! :kiss: