1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

prevention from herpes???

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mack27, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Mack27

Mack27 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Correct and consistent use of latex condoms can reduce the risk of genital herpes, because herpes symptoms can occur in both male and female genital areas that are covered or protected by a latex condom. However, outbreaks can occur in areas that are not covered by a condom.
    The surest way to avoid transmission of sexually transmitted diseases, including genital herpes, is to abstain from sexual contact, or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested and is known to be uninfected.
    Persons with herpes should abstain from sexual activity with partners when sores or other symptoms of herpes are present. It is important to know that even if a person does not have any symptoms, he or she can still infect sex partners. Sex partners of infected persons should be advised that they may become infected and they should use condoms to reduce the risk. Sex partners can seek testing to determine if they are infected with HSV.(!)

2. Bree

It's very unlikely that someone would get the virus from a partner who doesn't have open sores, unless they had a weak immune system for some reason. They would likely develop antibodies to it, though.

My mom has had herpes since she was 15, and my dad--who she's been with for over 25 years--doesn't have it. I know (unfortunately) that they are sexually active, and she's said that she has several outbreaks a year, where they abstain until the sores are gone.