1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to stop periods?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Nemo39122, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Nemo39122

Hey everyone,
    So I was wondering if there were any methods (such as a certain type of birth control) that can stop periods, but that isn't an IUD? I'm trying to come to terms with my identity as a trans guy, and this is one of the things that I'd really like to start "fixing." I've heard that hormones can stop this, but I am nowhere near that point. Hell, I haven't even cut my hair yet lol (but desperately want to and will soon). This may be one of the first things I do, because it won't appear to have anything to do with my gender identity...I'm pretty sure there are alot of cisgender females using birth control. :lol:

So yeah, any ideas? A monthly reminder that I'm a biological female is...unpleasant. :eusa_doh:

2. Aielar

I'd talk to your medical professional and see what they have to say about it. I was on birth control stuff for a while, and it did reduce the duration of my menstruation, but I'd still advise you to consult a doctor - pretty sure a prescription is necessary for most, if not all, of the birth control medications anyway.

3. Zontar

There's medication that can reduce you to around four a year. Conventional levonorgestrel ("Plan B") with some other thing mixed in with it. Seasonelle I think it was called? i don't know if taking it with HRT would be contraindicated or not, so be sure to bring that up with your doctor.

4. Nemo39122

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:
    @ Zontar: Yeah I don't know how it would clash with HRT, but I'm probably a long way off from that (unfortunately). I'm not even to the point of talking to a therapist or counselor to help me sort all this out. I'm going to try to start making some phone calls to get all that started...but that could be a whole separate thread lol

Anyway, thanks :slight_smile:

5. You wouldn't have to take anything with HRT to stop your period. Testosterone will do that for you. I stopped mine after my first shot, but I think most people stop within 3 months. I have heard of people who started at a really low dose not stopping it until 6+ months though.

6. Bree

...and if you just take plain old birth control straight through without the sugar pills, you'll never have a period either.

7. aeva

Yeah, Seasonale is a birth control pill that will make you only have 4 periods a year. As Bree mentioned, you can also just skip the sugar pills, although you may have some degree of spotting. I'd definitely recommend talking with your doctor about this all before you make a decision though.

8. KaraBulut

The old style birth control pills kept a regular 28 day cycle that usually resulted in a lighter period at the end of the cycle.

The new thinking with birth control is that it may not be necessary to have the monthly cycle and that there's no adverse effect if there's not a monthly period.

See a gynecologist. Let the physician know that you would like to talk about regulating your periods and ask if there is a birth control pill option that would help you have fewer periods.

You're on the right track there. Male hormones should not be the first option for menstrual cycle control. It's a big step and something that you should discuss with a counselor to be sure that is the right option for you. In the meantime, working with your gynecologist to regulate your periods will allow you to gain control over your monthly cycle while you continue to ponder your identity questions.

To clarify- an IUD is a small device that is inserted through the cervix and into the uterus to prevent pregnancy by preventing a fertilized egg from implanting on the uterus. They aren't used much because they do need to be monitored by a physician after insertion. After IUD insertion, a woman continues to have monthly periods but if there is a conception, the fertilized egg is unable to properly attach to the uterus, so it either fails to survive or it is expelled from the uterus and never develops into a pregnancy.

#8 KaraBulut, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  9. RainbowBright

I do not get periods, for a medical issue, and I don't miss them either! Gynecologist put me on continuous birth control, because the periods were severe enough to damage me even when on the regular amount of birth control to control them. I used to vomit and pass out from the pain every month, then my immune system would crash and I would get the flu after. It sucked.

So yeah, you can get a Rx from your doctor for the birth control (pill, ring, it doesn't matter - I liked the ring though because I didn't have to worry about forgetting to take it at the same time every day). They need to approve it, and then you need to have supervision. You take the next month starting every 3 weeks, not every four - that means a special override for the insurance, and some may refuse to cover it. It can cause problems, including polyps developing on your vaginal wall or cervix, and increased cancer risk. You will need to have yearly exams to be sure you are ok, and for a new Rx (assuming you are not on the testosterone yet).

Not all doctors would be willing to do this, especially if you do not have a medical risk that requires it, because it can be seen as unethical to prescribe something that is unnatural and can harm you without sufficient cause. But if you have really bad periods, you may not need to explain much. Or if your doctor is familiar with trans issues, she may find that to be a compelling health risk from a psychological standpoint, and help you out. You are risking higher cancer rates when you mess with your body's function and its own hormone levels anyway, so just be aware of the risks, and make the decision that is best for you. One could also argue that the risks of death from suicide, cancer, or heart attack due to severe stress of living in the wrong body are a bigger concern. That is a personal issue that varies from one person to another, and is a decision you can make for yourself. Just don't do anything without doctor supervision, ok?

10. Nemo39122

Wow, sorry to hear you had such rough periods. (*hug*) Mine have never bothered me at all physically, it's rare that I even get cramps or headaches or anything. But psychologically its...not so fun. I'm sick of a monthly reminder that biologically I really am female. So I can't really use the reason of rough periods for the reason behind wanting them stopped...unless I lie, but lying to a doctor probably isn't the best idea. I think my best option would be to be honest about the reasons behind it, and see where that goes. I just have to work up the courage to do that, lol

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

11. RainbowBright

12. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you know if a doctor is LGTB friendly?

13. RainbowBright

Some ways to search for an LGBTQ-friendly doc are to search through:
    * Primary System - GLMA Home Page
    * Call your closest LGBTQ Center and ask
    * ask a friend who is out if they know of good doctors who are LGBTQ themselves or very LGBTQ-friendly
    * speak to a therapist or doctor who specializes in LGBTQ-related health issues (like a doctor who works with people transitioning, or a therapist who specializes in people coming out), and if you still need more doctors than whatever that person provides, you can ask for recommendations - you can often get this merely by calling their office and asking the receptionist if that doctor can recommend someone who is LGBTQ-friendly in your area, without ever even giving your name if you don't want to
    * check out if you already have the name of a doctor if that person has any kind of affiliation that shows they are clearly LGBTQ-friendly - sometimes you will see mention of this on the website for whatever office they work in
    * Be cautious until you see for yourself if you feel comfortable with that person or not. Just because the doctor is supposed to be LGBTQ-friendly or actually identifies that way themselves does not mean they are necessarily a good doctor, or a good fit for you. But give them a try. I ended up with several gay (out) doctors by accident, but that ended up being very helpful to me in taking care of my health and feeling comfortable, and they happen to be at the top of their field and are excellent doctors.

14. The Queen Bee

Well, you could start taking birth control pills.
    In the box you'll have 21 with the "medication" and the last 7 that are pretty much placebo. If you take the first 21... and don't take the placebo, but start again with a new box, you could stop your period.
    That said, go to an OB-GYN.
    I tell you this because I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have your period if you see yourself as a dude and not a dudette (Hell, it's even frustrating for women!).

You gotta talk to your OB-GYN because doing that could be detrimental for your health.

At the end, I guess what you really need is a radical hystectomy.

15. GayJay

I don't know if they do it where you are but here while at our therpy stage we get puebety(yeah no idea how to spell that) blockers. They stop anything else from developing like you don't have periods, your chest won't grow any further that kind of stuff. I don't know what the proper name for them is but maybe you could ask you doctor.
    As for in the furure a hystectomy is an option but you don't really need it. As taking T will stop your periods anyway.

I was gonna take birth control but decided not to as u was told it will incrrease your chest size. Definaly not something I wanted! So I decided to wait. Its depressing but you'll get through it