1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right weight. For a male teen

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alexander69, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so what is a good weight for a me. I'm 17 (male) Turing 18 in a few weeks I'm 5'8 and weigh 164 lbs. my doctor told me to gain weight a few weeks ago an I did but I felt fat so I opted to diet again my goal weight is 140-150. Is that to skinny?

2. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're weight sounds perfect to me. 140-150 I think is a little on the light side, but still okay. It all depends on how much of it is fat, and how much of it is muscle anyway, so just weight doesn't even say all that much.

But really, 164 sounds perfect, so I'd keep it that way.

3. alwayshope11

Weight is a really crazy thing to me..especially in regards to bmi and what that aays about your weight...for example I used to weigh 325 pounds, and have recently lost weight and am now 243 pounds..but bmi says I'm still overweight for my height of 6'4 but I feel and look great! Lol

4. Amicus

Even if 140-150lbs is technically a "healthy" weight for someone of your height, it is not a healthy weight range for your body if that is not where it naturally maintains when you eat normally without thinking about it. Especially because of your history of eating disorders, I would strongly encourage you to not diet anymore. Your body will sustain large amounts of damage if you continue restricting food intake, not to mention the possibility of a full-blown anorexia relapse.

I know you consider yourself a very healthy person, Alexander. If that's the case, why do you plan to ignore the advice of your doctor?

5. Zontar

Do you like being skinny? If so, leave it. If not, lift weights.

6. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with zontar, but I would keep in mind that you need to be at a certain bmi to be healthy, or your body will be slighting one part (like your hair, skin and nails) in order to maintain more important stuff. but if you want to be skinnier, and weigh more, try some strength training, it will build up the muscle in your body a bit, but you'll reach your weight goal way before you ever get "bulky" because muscle weighs a lot more than fat.

7. Alexander69

I love being skinny :frowning2: I'm not fat I'm still skinny ugh I just want to see more of my ribs I can see 3 ribs on each side I want to see them all

8. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah, that's not so healthy.. if its really how you feel you might have the beginnings of an eating disorder, please try to remember that weight is only a small part of what makes someone attractive, but being healthy is really important, if your doctor is giving you advice, it would be in your best interest to follow it.

9. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The links at the bottom of this website contain the world's top doctor's opinion on healthy body sizes for your age range. The data take into account ethnic variations.

And as always, ask a doctor before you ask the internet.

10. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm 17 and I weigh only 115 pounds. I'm going to be sad when my metabolism slows down and I will have to eat healthier and less and exercise more to keep from going overweight.

11. Ticklish Fish

lol 19, 5'6'' and weight 105-107. but then I am chinese...

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, we've been through this. Multiple times.

Being able to seeing your ribs is not even close to healthy weight. And given that you have a history of issues with this... you need to work on getting help with this very, very unhealthy perception of your body that you have.

Your doctor is giving you good advice. Follow it. You're going to put your health at risk, both short term and long term, if you start obsessing about your weight and trying to lose 15 pounds. Seriously. Please get some real help from a therapist about this issue, it's clear you really need it.

13. Alexander69

It's not like I don't have muscle I do and I'm toned I work out for hours a day, I'm pretty much a vegetarian I only eat eggs and that's once and a while. 115 for me Is way to skiny I would literally be nothing but bone and I never want to weigh that little again. 135 is the lowest I will go I have a very manly build I have a European body my body is a strong build yet it takes me for ever to gain muscle. UGH!

14. Sherri

BMI is pretty much a terrible way to gauge how well you're doing with your weight. Honestly, past a certain point, not even your weight tells us a lot about you, and you are past that point.

Instead of using weight and BMI, go by your body fat percentage, and by how you look. Try and be in a healthy body fat percentage range, and once you're there, you can tweak things for how you personally would like to look. Some people prefer to be lean, while others prefer to be muscular, and all sorts of in-betweens. It's really up to you. There are no absolutes with this.

15. starfish

I too am 6'4", and I'm built like a line backer. The BMI charts say I should be about 200lbs. At 200lbs, I would be skin and bones. I'm 235 now have veins showing all over the place. I've asked by doctor about it and he said I'm in the don't worry about it range.

I would like to lose 10 more lbs, but I am not worried about it. Like you I used to be over 300 lbs, so I'm light years from where I was.

Now back to the OP. We are are same sides of the same coin. Weight and self image issues suck, and being under weight is just as hard as being overweight. I have to be careful to not put back all of the weight I have lost. You have to be careful to not lose the weight you have gained. They are both very difficult.

A large part of that is self image. I find that when I feel better about my self it is easier to keep weight off and even lose weight. What helped me with this was that I started putting my self out there. I started hanig out wit new people and making new friends. Both gay and straight, just normal everyday people. Well people would make comments, and I started to realize I was a good looking guy. I'm not perfect, but I'm still good.

I am my own harshest critic, and I can tell you are too. I'm an Engineer and we have a saying, Better is the enemy of good enough. In the process of striving for better, you give up good and end up with nothing. It is ok to say hey this is good enough, I am going on to the next thing.

You are 5'8" and 164lbs, that my friend is good enough.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another factor to consider, Alexander, is that you're just 17. Your body's metabolism will probably slow down a little bit in the next couple of years and it will be a little easier to put on and maintain muscle. You just gotta be patient. And... it's possible there's a lesson in this for you too, to maybe keep your focus on continuing to make yourself beautiful on the inside, and worry a little less about the outside :slight_smile:

17. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Im a girl, Im five foot four and between 140-145 but I have a six pack and obviously low body fat. I dont want to boast, but people are always commenting about my flat stomach/muscles etc. Not that it matters much to me, as an athlete I care way more about my body just being functional and doing its job.

So ya, when I hear you are a boy, five foot 8 and you want to be my weight, I shake my head.

The number really bothers me sometimes so I just have to remind myself I am fit and healthy and this seems to be the weight my body is meant to be. I think BMI is a highly overrated tool.

I also have a history of eating disorders and so I cant restrict ever again, I just try to eat all my food groups and maintain my energy levels, thats about it. When you are poor you appreciate your food more anyways lol :slight_smile:

18. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

164 too skinny at 5'8?

I'm 5'7 and only around 125, though I'm no longer a teen. But I think you're probably fine how you are; did the doctor give a reason why you should lose weight?

19. jsmurf

Sigh.. Yep, that's what happens when you get to the other side of 20 in many cases. (like in my case) Still, as evinced by some people in this thread, not everyone is dealt this deck of genetic cards, and some can go on their whole lives eating well and being quite lean without additional major exertion. But that's more the exception than the norm. Humans evolved in a Savanna environment, where food was scarce and speed and agility over many hours was rewarded.

#19 jsmurf, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  20. Alexander69

No he said I should NOT lose weight I got down to 145 when I was on my 900 cal diet and I was passing out everyday and I couldn't eat.... So he told me to gain weight I got up to 170 then felt fat again and decided to lose weight again I was 164 the other day and I'm already 160 today. He said my weight is perfect for my body type I have a complete flat stomach and my ribs show my body could never be 125 OMG I'd literally be nothing :O when I was 115 I was almost dead I almost died.... So I would never get that low plus I'm a guy I know I should weigh more then a girl should which is why I was asking if I should weigh 140 or 150? My grandmother weighs 110 pounds my dad weighs 170 my mom weighs 135 my brother weighs 150 ish my grand father weighs 170 my other grand father weighs 150 ish my other grandmother weighs 125. No on in my family is fat so I really shouldn't worry about EVER being fat but I guess I do weight is something my family takes very seriously on my moms side an my fathers side so thus why I worry so much.