1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can asexuality be due to serious health problems?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ettina, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, I'm fine with being asexual. I don't want to have sexual desire, and feel that I'm happier without it. But, some people have told me that it could indicate a health problem, so I'm wondering if I should get checked out.

Oh, and by the way, I don't have any physical signs of wonky hormones. My pubertal development has been normal, I have average-sized boobs, curves, regular periods, the whole thing. But I'm wondering if something could be wrong that isn't visible.

And if I do have an identifiable physical condition causing asexuality, but it isn't dangerous to my health, I won't want to treat it. I prefer being asexual. Is it likely that doctors will try to pressure me to treat it in order to have normal sexuality?

2. Toaddy

Well sexuality can be linked to physical desire and mental desire, so if your development is normal and you haven't been sexually abused you should be fine physically. I'm no expert, but that is my opinion. If you don't want sexual desire than don't look into it. It's not worth the compromise of your happiness unless it is a real physical condition.

3. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Asexuality could be caused by very serious psychological repression of attractions, which if repressed to the point of asexuality could be very harmful, however, this isn't actually asexuality, it's merely repression. Usually it would be an extreme coping method to something very mentally disturbing/upsetting that happened in the individuals life.

However, this would be a very rare find, as the majority of asexuals are just simply asexuals. If you have had no problems of an extreme magnitude in the past, then you're fine.

All the best.

4. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe asexuality exists as an orientation (or lack thereof), but I also believe it can be due to health problems. As a teenager and young adult, I had absolutely no sex drive, never masturbated, never experienced attraction towards anybody, and was totally ok with it. In fact, after seeing the drama all my friend's went through with their exes, I considered asexuality a gift. Although I feared sex, I have no memory of struggling to repress any urges or attractions. It simply wasn't there. However, I was also struggling with an untreated physical illness, anxiety/depression, was militantly religious, and anti-sexual. Once I was put on medication and faced my demons, I unwillingly started to experience sexual attraction... at age 26.

I'm not saying this is the case with you, but I just want to say to keep an open mind and don't force yourself to stick with a label. The fact that you "don't want to have sexual desire" is a little concerning, but a valid wish. I mean, it is less distracting to be asexual :wink: I personally would NOT let doctors pressure you into trying to fix anything unless it is causing you stress. This is especially true with people who are interest in you. If you're happy, healthy, and mentally stable, I'd say don't worry about it :slight_smile:

#4 Chimera, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  5. Dylan

Out Status:
    Some people
    Asexuality is just an orientation. It's not due to any illness that I know of. (I'm not a doctor, but I am asexual.) I'd say that if it's not bothering you, don't worry. You might be better off posting this in AVEN, though. The folks there would know more about it than non-asexuals.

6. Hexagon

It could be. Although technically speaking, the health problem would probably affect your libido rather than your sexuality, and you'd probably experience other symptoms as well. But I wouldn't worry about it. There are loads of asexuals, myself included, and we don't all have health problems.

If, however, you did have a health problem causing asexuality that wasn't otherwise harmful, then yes, they would almost certainly pressure you into having it treated. But you consent to treatment, and you have the right not to consent to anything. And don't assume that just because something is uncommon that its abnormal. (BTW, I agree about preferring to remain asexual :slight_smile:)

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not entirely clear on the difference between sexuality and libido.

I have heard people claim that asexuality with normal libido results in someone who masturbates but has no desire to have sex with another person. If that's the case, I probably have no libido as well, because masturbation does nothing for me.

8. The Queen Bee

It could be hormonal. Thyroid, maybe.
    That said, I'm Gray-A... and I don't give a damn.
    I know I'm healthy (I've been checked). If you're concerned, go to a doctor.
    But, at end of the day most people don't understand asexuality.

For me it's not a problem to have a low (almost non-existing) libido... and sexual people (especially hypersexuals) assume it's a problem. Well, it's not. I'm happy with my Gray-A-ness... I'm not sexually frustrated nor anything like it.

I don't think your physician will force you to treat it... They might insist if it's detrimental to your health (which I'd agree with them, actually). Then again, you're the boss of your body... you can always refuse treatment.