1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feelings of looming dread, failure and incompetence

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jsmurf, Nov 16, 2012.

1. jsmurf

So I'm conscious of the fact that I've gained a substantial amount of weight since college, and that it's hurting my self-esteem, my confidence, my energy levels and my health.

My parents today made the situation seem ever more dire.. They were both yelling loudly in my ear, loosely tugging at my shirt collar and giving a spiel at the top of their lungs about how I might die in a few years if I don't take things under control, and that I'll become like my morbidly obese aunt and won't be able to reverse the situation after a critical point. And that they would like to think I still have a sense of willpower, but that they don't have reason to think so since I've abandoned caring for my health and weight.

It's hard to draw encouragement from this kind of neurotic, russian-jewish approach. But I hate myself and where I'm at, and really want to look the same as I was at age 17-22, but OMG it's SO hard.. :tears::tears::tears::bang: My head starts spinning if I restrict my calories to 1,500/per day, and my joints feel stiff and hurt if I'm running on the treadmill for more than 10 minutes... And I no longer feel as bold to do weights, because I start obsessing what other people in the gym (especially the toned guys) might think of me, although these fears are dumb and unwarranted. :eusa_doh:

When I was younger, it was so much easier to stay on a fixed diet without feeling hunger pangs and nauseating spasms in my stomach and head.

I cry at night thinking that when I was fit and thin during those years that I was deeply closeted, I couldn't get any action or relationships because of my cowardice at that time. But now the main factor precluding my ability to forge new friendships and a relationship is my wretched ugliness, even though I've become mostly open and comfortable with my sexuality. It's as if the scenario has flipped itself, leaving my just as miserable as that earlier stage in life.

I guess what I'm asking for is for your polite, and gentle encouragement, just so that I don't feel I'm being prodded solely by my own bruised ego and my parents' galling neurosis. I'd like EmptyClosets to be there with me on my journey back to body-normalcy.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

It's just become SO fucking difficult to maintain a normal weight. 4-5 or 6 years ago this was nearly effortles,s and I'd see results within a few months. Even at age 21 it felt much easier. Now I have to put in a monstrously unreasonable amount of effort, pain and self-restriction for exponentially smaller and lower yields in improvement. What will it be like when I'm 30 or 40? Will I just become a ghastly ball of lard worthy only of incineration/ conversion into bars of soap?

#1 jsmurf, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. Ticklish Fish

oh em gee...
    stop worrying people looking at you in the gym (commenting on the weights part). aren't people in your gym too busy to flop between work out and their iphones? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (the case is true for my campus gym, idk yours)
    One thing I need to note here from this^ comment is that worry about yourself being worrying about people looking at you lol. That might be your parents' intention, I have no idea if you were present with whatever happened to your aunt, but maybe they don't want it to happen to you (again).

If you have graduated college, what is your work schedule? sleep schedule? diet? maybe look into those to try to troubleshoot it. Or maybe even talk to a professional about your health goal? Because human body does weird things....

and also. you need a hug :hug: (damn, not doing this smilies right)

3. jsmurf

My sleep schedule is certainly off-kilter, and that's due to me doing a sit-at-home job (or more aptly, an internship) for someone else who checks my work weekly. It provides invaluable experience and training to the career I'd like to eventually pursue (paralegal or lawyer), but part of me wishes I could just dump this right now and go for a paid job at Costco pulling carts.. At least that's not sedentary and involves movement, and I'd finally have the means of earning my own cash for the first time in a year.

---------- Post added 16th Nov 2012 at 10:09 PM ----------

Diet is mixed. What I've noticed is that for many years that I kept my weight low, a low-carb diet worked and felt me feeling satisfied. Now I feel crazy and out of my skin if I'm denied bread or even whole-grains in large amounts. What happened? Could this be a precursor to diabetes or some malignant hormonal imbalance?

4. Ticklish Fish

LOL. so you're just doing internship, right? Do you have time to work out? (like maybe sacrifice some entertainments). Because there are home gyms that you can do to work out (like, maybe 45 mins to 1 hour and 30 mins?)
    (Hey, I am jelly you got internship!)
    if your workload is okay and doable, maybe try fixing a standard schedule to get things done so you can have regular sleep?

As for diet... I don't know what you do... but carbohydrates are quite important in diet. You don't have to eat excess amount of it daily, but enough for your body to grab quick energies. I have no clue what is high or low carb to you. but maybe a medium to low carb? Do you eat fruits? yogurts? what beverage do you consume daily? veggies? meat? do you take supplements?

(ok, before I said something stupid scientifically, just a disclaimer that I am not a nutrition expert or doctor)

5. jsmurf

I'm thinking of getting on Nutri-System (so that I dont have to count calories on my own behalf) and also getting a prescription for Qsymia or Belviq.. Because I feel that the hunger pangs and nausea I feel is beyond simple "willpower." I need an aid to my fitness regimen, otherwise I'm just going to be eating like a hog continuously.

6. Ticklish Fish

hold on, you speak of nausea just now. Are you sure you have enough nutrients in your body? because nausea tends to be an indicator of something else.

I am not a fan of taking prescriptions...... I prefer food to help with the body health, but of course I can't force my believe on you.

Though I really want you to try and maybe fix your work and sleep schedule, since sleep and staying up does things to metabolism and other health issues. Also, do you drink a lot of water daily?

7. jsmurf

I do drink alot of water actually, but I always wake up feeling super thirsty. And this further hampers my ability do exercise on an empty stomach, because it takes a while for me to feel hydrated before I can do physical exertion.

8. Ticklish Fish

when you say empty, how empty of a stomach do you mean? maybe try eating something light like 30 mins before exercising?

9. jsmurf

Well what I mean is the morning.. Yes, I could eat something light first. But the point is that the morning is the most optimal time for exercise, and it takes time to be hydrated.

10. Bree

With the carbs--if you could maintain that for a week or so, the cravings will fade. Our bodies get addicted to them, and what you're feeling is withdrawal. If you feel that you NEED them, try white rice, it's low-carb.

A lot of animal shelters need volunteers--anywhere you could volunteer for dog-walking? It's hard to get enough movement when you have computer work. You can also get appetite suppressants and metabolism boosters. I like the Genuine Health products like Abs+ etc, and they're all-natural so you're not putting crap into your body. They also have a thing you can drink before meals that takes up room in your stomach so you don't eat as much, I haven't tried it and don't remember what it's called.

I'm in school for writing, another job where you spend a lot of time sitting at a computer. I like to take my computer to a cafe with only the money to buy a small cup of plain coffee. This way I can't snack simply because I'm bored.

Unfortunately your metabolism slows down dramatically after you stop growing. It will never be as easy to lose weight as it was as a teenage boy. If you get back to a normal weight/fitness level you won't feel so sluggish, however.