1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Several health type issues

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by theMaverick, Nov 18, 2012.

1. theMaverick

Depression.
    Introverted-ness.
    Weight loss.
    Ridiculously dry skin.
    Anger.

These are my issues.

Depression.
    I'm mega super depressed most of the time. I've been unemployed for six months, and I'm going back to school in January. I'm trying to write a book and launch an online based business, but my depression is getting the best of me and keeping me from doing anything worthwhile. I just moved to a new city, and I haven't met any new people here, the only people here are my brother and his family, my dad and stepmom, and girlfriend. The introverted-ness probably ties into this too. Sometimes, I don't want to talk to anyone, I don't want to go anywhere, I don't want to leave the house, or get on my computer, or facebook, I don't want to text anyone, I don't even want to get out of bed. WTF? I went to a therapist but the insurance I'm on only gave me 3 free sessions and I can't afford to go back.

Weight loss.
    I am and have been trying to lose weight for some time. I'm drinking more water, and I'm walking/exercising more, but that doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Dry skin.
    This has been a lifelong battle with no answers. I always have dry skin, and it's the worst on my hands, but it's also pretty bad on my arms, back, legs, and feet. I can get out of the shower and have dry skin. I put on heavy duty eucerin cream, and it sucks it up and is dry again. I live in a pretty humid part of the country, but it's still always dry. It is worse in the winter, but even in spring/summer it's bad. Am I just gonna have to deal with this forever, or is there something I can do to fix it?

Anger.
    I thought I had this dealt with, but it reared it's ugly head again today. I got so mad at my sister who was down visiting that I went nuclear. Now I'm not violent angry, but I did pretty well ruin the weekend. It's not that she didn't do anything wrong, but I think my level of anger was likely inappropriate for what happened. Granted, I usually bite my tongue with people and have been doing so for years, and the rest of my family agreed with me, but still, I need to get this under wraps.

2. AAASAS

Weight Loss:

Honestly don't put more into your body than you burn. It is as simple as that. If you have extra fat you need to burn that off. The only way you can do this for sure is to work out A LOT! That is if you already are inputting so many calories that there is no way you will lose it without working out.

Another option which works better coupled with working out, is actually letting your body get rid of fat. That is, going hungry. Not developing an eating disorder, but the key to being on target with your weight is to actually let some of it disappear. The only time you can know for sure you are losing weight is when you have no inputted enough calories for your body to run on, and therefore has to start using fat reserves to heat you, power your brain, and move your body.

So hunger is the key, don't eat right away, let yourself feel HUNGRY every day. Most people do feel hungry ever day, and I think a problem with bigger people is they are extremely uncomfortable feeling hungry, and get rid of that feeling right away rather than doing something else.

Everyday before I eat I am hungry, my stomach is hungry, my body is now taking fat from my body so that it can power itself. THEN I EAT. I don't say oh its Morning lets have breakfast, oh its noon lets have lunch, oh lets have a snack, oh lets eat dinner.

It is all about letting your body telling you when food is NECESSARY. The only time it is necessary is when you feel hungry, and your body is eating your fat reserves.

This is the only way to lose weight, the ONLY REAL WAY, is to have your body eat your fat reserves. So you can either do this by using up more calories in your day than you input; this will require you to chart and pay attention to your input and how much you burn, or you can just let yourself be hungry a little everyday, and return your stomach to a normal healthy one whose appetite is only ever around when it is necessary. Being overweight you train your stomach and appetite to be around and bothering you all day. You have streched your stomach, it is now used to receiving more food than normal.

It sounds really generic but it is the truth. One guy at work always asked why he can't los eweight, and blamed it on his metabolism when it was simply the fact he never let himself be hungry for more than a minute. The second his stomach wanted soemthing he gave it to it. Instead of waiting for Lunch, or Waiting for dinner, he went ahead and ate. I on the other hand am used to feeling hungry for a bit everyday, it is what my stomach does to prepare me for eating, and I only ever feed it at the necessary times, I would be eating all day if I just let my appetite dictate.

It doesn't mean starving yourself, you should always eat enough to feel energized, but it is about feeling actual hunger so you can ensure that you are ONLY INPUTTING WHAT YOU NEED. If you don't feel hunger ever then you are putting too much in your mouth. Hunger is what tells you when it is time to eat, it was created to keep us in shape, and to input the right amount of calories. It is something that should be a part of everyones day. Your body should feel hungry more than it should feel full.

Dry Skin

Moisturizing naturally by drinking plenty of fluids. If you drink a lot of water it will improve your skin. Also try Omega-3 which is good for your skin, it has essential oils in it; you can get this from Fish as well. Look up foods that improve your skin, and do anything that keeps you hydrated. Hydration and oil are the key.

I wish I could help more with this, but I have the opposite problem, my skin is very oily.

Anger:

Try putting yourself in your shoes in a couple hours, everytime you blow up. You know you will regret being angry, and what you are about to do, in a couple hours, so why put yourself through that. I do this when I am about to do something stupid; I think about how I will feel later on in the day, and this usually stops me, because I do not want to be regretful, and would rather just take what ever is pissing me off over feeling guilty and full of regret.

3. IllusiveRannoch

hey there.
    i noticed both of us have quite a bit in common, so maybe i can help give some bonus points. I hope you don't mind me typing from a 1st person POV. (p.s., i'm not jacking the thread. it's still for you)

for Weight Loss, I use to weigh on average 215 lb i've actually lost about 25 lbs since i started eating Lean Cuisine ever since i started working 3 months ago. but i've stopped at around 190lb because i'm learning that because my body has gotten used to a certain pattern, it has plateaued & therefore requires little energy to do what would have taken lots of it a while back. because of this, l do not truly feel as though I'm actually burning anything. i recently learned in a fitness book i bought that variable muscle confusion exercises are the biggest help since the body doesn't plateau when using it or become comfortable doing a specific repitition at a set time of day at specific patterns. since i lift heavy things & walk all the time @ work, I'm able to get enough exercise to burn off meals (Lean cuisines are usually between 250-350 calories, so eating one per every meal time mixed w/ some walking is a great start. they may not seem like much. at first i thought 'this is all there is?', but they are pretty filling & will make hunger stop, also drinking a drink first will help fill my stomach a bit for it to require less food). but like WooEEE said, burning more kcals than you take in should do it.

For introverted-ness, I understand how that feels because I'm an introvert too. In my personal POV, It's both very difficult and very easy at the same time to be an introvert in an extroverted world. Difficult because I feel as though I want to establish a better connection to people but also feel as though I do not know how. Easy because i like the solitary, & the knowledge that words follow me, incline me to say very little. So while everyone else is talking, i lurk silently, observing, learning. It's both strange & fascinating because I took a public speaking class where I had to stand up in front of the whole class & give 10 minute speeches. I felt pretty terrified, and, I still kind of do, but not near as much as I used to. One thing I'm trying now is attempting to plan out a list of topics of interest to me & try to stick to it rather than sending probes in my brain & hoping some surge of brilliance comes up (which almost never does) :bulb: :lol:. Following through with it is useful, though I'm becoming more able to be a bit more random w/ conversation because of it. Small step, but it's a start.

I'll have to come back w/ more later, because I am super sleepy. :sleep:

until then, i hope that bit helped :icon_wink(*hug*)

4. theMaverick

Hey thanks! I'll try these things and see if they help.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you had your thyroids checked? I'm no doctor, but I think I heard that weight problems, depression and dry skin could be symptoms of hypothyroidism.