1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this help me loose weight?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by yesthisistim, Nov 20, 2012.

1. yesthisistim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am 16yo male, and unhappy about my body weight. I am a bit chubby, with little to no muscle. Startin today, I have been going on my treadmill. So far I run for 15mins, 4mins at 7km/hour and a 1min break at 4km/hour inbetween. My aim is to run like this for 30 mins a day. After I run, I do basic dumbell exercises. With these combined, will this help me to loose weight and gain muslce, if not what can I do to improve?

2. Daisy1

I think that will help you lose weight, especially if you can control your eating (i.e. dont eat more). I find that working out helps me eat well because I don't want to work out when I'm super full or if I've already worked out I don't want to "waste it." Only suggestion: for the break I'd jog rather than stopping. Interval training is great for weight loss!

Good job!

3. Joey4

I used to wrestle in high school. One thing I will tell you is to make sure you eat more. If you limit your eating, your body will tell itself to store fat. With that said, make sure you make the right food choices. You can see a dramatic change in your appearance just by starting with your diet. And try eating 8 small meals a day, rather than three large.

Finally, you should try to find something fun to do in incorporate with you use of the treadmill. I find I get bored with it and tend to quit. But if you do something you enjoy, you'll be more consistent.

You're 16. Try a team sport. You don't have to be good at it, you just have to participate.

4. Hexagon

It will help you to lose weight. I might suggest you make your running more like normal interval training (sprint at full for 30 secs, jog for 2 mins, repeat), and focus your dumbbell exercises on heavy weights with a lowish rep rate. And avoid a high fat diet.

5. Joey4

I'd say dumbbell exercises with low weight and high rep. That will help your tone more quickly. He's looking to loose the chub, not build massive muscle.

6. jsmurf

And eat a Paleo-like diet. Eat as much fruit and veggies as you want and lean meats and fish and nuts. Avoid bread, pasta, white rice, white flour and sweets.

Easier said than done... from experience. :/

7. Valarie

Valarie Guest

i've heard you need like 30 min or so of a workout to hit fat stores
    so try to do more than 30 min, doesn't have to be too fast, you even just walk for an hour

8. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ask a doctor before you ask the Internet.

Seriously, I'm so making that my signature.

9. Ridiculous

There really isn't such a thing as 'toning' - you're either gaining muscle mass or you're not. High weight with low reps is the best way of doing any muscle exercise if you want to gain any muscle mass - you will only gain if you are lifting more than your muscles can sustain over an extended period. If you are able to do high reps, this essentially means your muscles can already sustain that exercise and do not need to grow any more, so they won't.

If you don't want to increase your mass beyond a certain point, then just stop increasing the weight once you reach that point.

High reps/low weight is generally only useful for people who are doing exercise for mobility purposes (such as injury recovery), or possibly for people who want to maintain their muscle mass without making any size increase or strength gain.

Whatever amount of exercise you do will be useful. Your body gets energy from fuel stores in this order:
    Glucose > Glycogen > Fat > Protein (muscle)
    It may take 30 minutes for a given individual to burn off all their glucose and glycogen stores, however this doesn't mean that unless they exercise for this long, they will lose no fat. Your body's normal process of keeping you alive also uses these fuel stores, and will also utilise fat stores if it runs out of glucose/glycogen.
    If your exercise only burned off say, half of your glucose and glycogen stores, then this will halve the time it takes before your body moves to fat stores during its normal metabolic processes.

The main benefit that comes from extended exercise is that the longer you exercise for, the longer you will experience the afterburner effect for (which is the post-exercise period where your metabolic rate is heightened).

30 minutes a day is a good amount of cardio, though!

10. alwayshope11

A new diet will help the best!

11. prism

THANK YOU, THIS IS SO REFRESHING! Threads with titles like your usually follow some ridiculous question concerning an absurd diet plan or medication. Any type of exercise will help you lose weight and gain muscle. When combining weight lose with muscle gain, I have heard that some people prefer focusing on weight loss before focusing on exercises to build muscle.
    Honestly, I see nothing wrong with doing both at the same time. However, as a warning, do not be discouraged by numbers. If you are losing weight while gaining muscle mass, it will look like you aren't losing any weight at all. Muscle weighs much more than fat. Stick with it and focus on how you look and feel rather than how much you weigh.

Unfortunately, you won't lose any weight unless you also have a healthy diet. When I say "diet," I mean a long-term commitment to a well-balanced diet, not a 3-week period where you eat nothing but 5 sticks of celery.

Be patient, do your research, and stick to it. The internet has an infinite amount of websites and resources to help you learn about new exercises, diets, and methods of tracking your progress.

Good luck!

12. Alexander69

Eat the super foods

Apples
    Avocado
    Broccoli
    Chicken breast
    Grapefruit
    Small potatoes
    Oatmeal
    Spinach
    Alfalfa sprouts
    Celery
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Peanut butter or almond butter natural sugar free
    Red bell peppers
    Onions
    Blueberries
    Salmon
    Chick peas (garbanzo beans)
    Eggs
    Orange
    Peaches
    Garlic
    Sweet potato
    Tomatoes
    Turkey breast
    Watercress
    Low fat plain Greek yogurt
    Stick to these and eat 1,200 cals a day and you will def lose a lot of weight. This stuff is all I eat I usually just eat spinach and garden salad and blue berries everyday I barley eat anything

13. Ridiculous

Do NOT eat only 1200 calories per day.

14. Zontar

My diet range was 1,800 calories a day, even that was pushing it a bit but it's the bare minimum of what you could tolerate for the duration of a brief diet period.

As a male with a more feminine identity, I dieted to lose both weight and muscle tone. You probably don't want to lose muscle (on the contrary) so I would suggest 2,000 calories a day of low-fat foods coupled with a weight-lifting program. The goal for most men should be replacing fat weight with muscle weight. If you want to lose both, the same diet with cardio is the way to go.

15. Alexander69

I think you are to young I be dieting to be honest

---------- Post added 21st Nov 2012 at 04:53 PM ----------

To be dieting **

16. KaraBulut

The treadmill is a start. Generally the challenge with treadmill is working up to a longer period of time- generally >30 minutes of intensive cardio plus a warmup and cool-down period is where you want to try to work to.

If you are looking to add muscle- whether it is just toning your muscles or adding more bulk, it will require working more muscles that just dumbbell exercises (which tend to work the arms but not the core muscles and legs).

A normal diet with mild restriction of simple sugars (like soda and candies) and low-value carbs (white breads, fast foods)- along with your workouts- is generally enough to give a more lean look. Although this is usually the worst time of year to start a more structured meal plan.

17. Ridiculous

You can easily get an effective whole body workout with just dumbbells. If you just use them to do bicep curls, of course you're only going to see progress in your arms - however they (and other free weights) can easily be worked into other exercises. Almost any bodyweight exercise, of which there are multiple for just about every muscle group, can be increased in intensity by holding dumbbells.
    The only exception is abdominal exercises such as crunches; however if you have dumbbells with removable weight plates, the plates can comfortably be held behind the head to give the same effect.

18. Valarie

Valarie Guest

yeah, just the longer you exercise the more likely you are to get to your glucose/fat stores, you dont use them until you used up most of the glucose in your blood

but anyway
    exercise more
    eat healthier
    drink more water

dont have to change too much, just more than your doing now, and eventually you will get where you want

not much of advice other than be healthier

19. rday13

rday13 Guest

Lots of good suggestions on this page.

A few things to add:
    1) Do not cut out all carbs - if you need to, switch to low GI carbs like brown rice, whole grain bread and pasta, and maybe lower the overall carb intake as opposed to eliminating carbs. While the Paleo diets may have worked for our ancestors, the last 10,000 years of agriculture have made our bodies sensitive to the presence or absence of glucose. An absence of available glucose or glycogen means that you will start burning up your muscle which can be VERY dangerous. I'd recommend the Mediterranean diet instead.

2) Exercises like situps, pushups and planks will definitely help you. They may be hard at first but take your time 'cuz they're pretty powerful.

3) Drink more water. This is good for soooo many things...make sure you cut out sodas though - too many carbs and no other nutritional benefits.

4) Include a cheat/rest day once a week. It will help you stay on track and give you something to look forward to in the beginning :slight_smile: Up to you what you do on that day

5) Check out livestrong.com - they've got some excellent articles for beginners and people who are interested in getting fit....this definitely helped me, and continues to help me.

Good luck! Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

20. yesthisistim

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for your great advice! A quick update, I now have stopped eating all junk food, and eating more fruit and veg. Everyday now I do interval training on the treadmill (2Mins at 6.5km/hour and then 30secs at 10km/hour). I do this for 10 mins, then go to the cycling machine, and do a flat out 30km/hour for 10 mins, I then do a 5 min cool down, walking slowly on the treadmill. Finally I do about 5 reps of about 3 different dumbbell exercices!

I know the effects won't be instant, and I really don't mind the wait, but how long does it take to start to feel fitter, and look physically fitter?