1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accutane-should I get it?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by runallday4, Nov 22, 2012.

1. runallday4

runallday4 Guest

I've had acne since I was 12 or 13, and it's not going away. I would classify it as mild now, but that's only after I have had to wash my face multiple times a day, use a bunch of different cleansers, and take an antibiotic daily. At this point I'm thinking it might make more sense to simply start taking accutane. It seems like accutane has a very high success rate and would eliminate the problem. Also, at this point it seems like it would be cost effective, as I've been spending all this money on other treatments.

Opinions?

Thanks guys

2. FruityFascism

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had horrible acne, and nothing would work. I got on accutane and it was the best thing ever. The side effects are pretty annoying, but overall it was worth it.

3. oblina

Be careful with acutane, it has been found to cause a lot of long term issues such as chromed and gave my brother diabetes, long term, uncurable diabetes.

4. KaraBulut

It's something that you can discuss with your physician. Accutane was over-prescribed for many years. Because of what we've discovered about side effects and long-term problems with the drug, there are very specific requirements for prescribing it.

5. Eurinthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I took Accutane two years ago, and I don't know if it was worth it. I had really bad acne for about 6 years, and now I'd say it's a mild problem. When they say Accutane has side effects, they aren't kidding. I had severely chapped lips that would sometimes crack and bleed, nosebleeds every now and then, and I had a depression problem for a while even before the med, so I had very frequent suicidal thoughts (though I didn't tell anyone because I was so desperate for my acne to get better).

I still have some acne and lots of scars, and I use an acne cleanse about three times a day. Every person is different, of course, but if you only have mild acne, I would not suggest taking Accutane. Acne is a pain, I know it, but really consider if you want something as extreme as Accutane.

6. Lewis

If it's mild, I would probably say no. I hear the side-effects that include depression, anxiety etc. can be pretty severe for some people. Still, you could talk to your dermatologist about it.

I recommend you do the following

1. Wash only twice a day with an oil-free, non-comedogenic cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser or Biore Combination Skin Cleanser (which I use personally).

2. Moisturise (day and night) with again, an oil-free, non-comedogenic moisturiser. I use one containing salycilic acid and it has completely cleared my skin.

3. This one is the biggie. Reduce ALL irritation. Gently and briefly pat your face after washing with a clean towel and refrain from touching your face at all times. This includes popping spots, it will only cause them to spread bacteria under the skin.

I follow all of these tips which I found on a site called 'acne.org' which have practically my skin. I got to a point where I was sick of waking up each day with a new pimple/whitehead and had to do something. Mine was also mild and I pretty much now have it under control. The site I referred to above also recommends a benzoyl peroxide based treatment too, which I don't think is necessary to clear mild acne. I used it for a while, it worked, but it made me look like my face was falling off! No zits, but I looked like a snake shedding its skin...

It's all about being gentle and using gentle products, the skin on your face is very sensitive and needs extra care. Accutane may quickly solve the problem, but may cause further health issues. Good luck :slight_smile:

7. canuck

As a pharmacy minion, Accutane is pretty much the last resort because of all the side effects. I would sit down with your doctor, and they will be able to go over some potentially better alternatives with you. I would at least give some others a try first.

My brother was on Accutane for a while. After about a month his skin was so dried out that it was painful to the touch. Strong moisturizers couldn't combat it.