1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoga

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MixedNutz, Nov 25, 2012.

1. MixedNutz

Does anyone do yoga?

I ner have but recently I've been waking up every night with lower back tightness.

Chiropractor helped for a while, but it came back.

So my boyfriend uggeste Yoga. (He's avid in the area)

I've done a 45 home DVD with him of Yin Yoga, and I have been sleeping amazingly.

He anyone else tried Yoga?

2. Ticklish Fish

I want to lol...
    it's on my wish list

3. MixedNutz

Like go to a class or at home?

I'd be way to embarrassed to attend a class

4. kem

kem

I'd like to. I'd like to know more about the philosophy and the mental side of it as well, though, so maybe a book?

5. Ticklish Fish

idk... Lol.

6. MixedNutz

Yea I've started reading a little. You learn about your energies and such... I'm still on the fence I believe in it though

7. i want too.... my posture is awful lol.

8. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

Yes I do Bikram Yoga. I love it, especially in the winter. Its pretty expensive though (I do it for free because I work reception/clean studios).

BTW NO ONE should be embarassed to try a class. We get ALL KINDS, literally all kinds in our studio, from obese hairy 60 year old men to skinny teenage girls.

9. MixedNutz

Hmmm good to know

10. sunnii

I actually just finished a wee home session the now. I go to a class every week and practice at home also. I really like it. Want to try ashtanga but I think I'll have to buy a DVD for that.

11. Linguistic_Geek

I go to gentle yoga. I have mobility/joint issues and my back won't let me do "regular" yoga. But I love it! It relaxes me mentally and definitely helps with my neck/back/shoulders. My hips and knees don't like it, but 90% of what we do in class can be modified to be done sitting down, so that's easier on me. What I can't do, I don't do. She gives me other exercises to do. And it gives me 1 hr per week to focus on me. No work, no school, no family, just me :slight_smile:

There are aps for iPad/iPhone etc that are pretty good. I found one that is customizable and gives auditory instructions.

You might want to try a different pillow. I bought one of those side sleeper pro pillows in the summer. Between that and the yoga my back pain is almost completely gone. But don't buy it through the ads on tv! I've heard it's a huge scam. You can buy them in drug stores, etc. At least that's where I got mine....

12. Skyline

I went to a yoga class with my dad and brother. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. Anyway we didn't stick with it for too long, just long enough to get the idea and then I continued the moves I liked at home. It really helps me out.

13. MixedNutz

Yea ill have to try one of those pillows.

I started doing Yin Yoga. It supposed to stretch out your back and joints. It's been helping me so far.

14. The Queen Bee

OMG!
    I looooove Yoga.
    I just think it's very relaxing.
    For me Hatha works just fine... and overall I think they're all pretty much the same... You just have check which one suits you the best.

I just got surgery (I've got an hideous C-section like scar) and so I haven't been able to work out lately. :frowning2:
    But, I'll be starting with some Tai-Chi (there's a group of elder people who do it near my house)... Yoga, well... I'll have to start after a months or so... I just got my stitches removes, so I can stretch the muscles in my abdomen. =/

I think after a while you should try going to a class.
    When we have more people, we sometimes feel a bit challenged and that help us improve.
    Also, the people can be very fun. :grin:
    Especially if they're hippie-ish (like yours truly).

15. Your Pal DK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my fitness class at school we do yoga on an infrequent basis, once every two weeks, and I love it! It really soothes the nerves and helps me stop thinking for 45 minutes which is fantastic!

I intend on taking a class at the YMCA at some point too so I can do it frequently. I am constantly processing things over-thinking so yoga helps me relax.

16. RainbowBright

I used to do Yoga 2 hours a day, on my own at home. It's free and no one can see you, so it's perfect. I had lower back problem too from an old injury, and Kundalini Yoga helped a ton - strengthening and stretching your lower spine. But you have to start out slowly and carefully, and do not force anything that does not feel good. Yoga should always feel good, even if it gets challenging - if it feels bad you're doing something wrong (possibly being instructed wrong) and you could hurt yourself. The spine is especially sensitive to injury. I first went to a really great Physical Therapy place once a week for 6 weeks, they showed me exercises, and massaged my back and used electrical stimulation to get it repairing itself. After that, I started the yoga, and kept going and learning more and more.

The really physical stuff on DVDs often has very little to do with the spiritual practice of the East, so if you want that part too, do some good research before buying. I got some great ones, and I found they were much better than classes I attended, but I think they are not making them anymore. :frowning2: Try to read reviews first. Many people find Rodney Yee to be a good teacher, he has tons of DVDs out. For good Kundalini practice I would go with someone who is highly trained in the spiritual practice. When you get good, Vinyasa yoga is a great next step.

17. MixedNutz

Cool, I think I'm ok with keeping the spiritual part out of it for now. But I will still do some research about though.

18. RainbowBright

The thing I find helpful about spiritually-connected yoga vs. non, is that I find that the spiritual ones help a ton with stress, because they are focused on breathing, and on meditation/calming/positive thoughts, with the poses. Not to tell me what to believe, I don't need that. But when I did yoga practice based in gyms or on DVDs that were not grounded in culture, just from the US, they were rather stressful, obsessive about "fat burning" and pushing one's body to the limit, even weirdly combining yoga with boot camp. In fact, that extreme stress helps one to retain weight, and I found it was more common in those to push people's bodies into dangerous positions that could injure one's spine or overextend ligaments.

One should do whatever one feels most connected to, but for more of a balance that is both secular and not too cultural, but also soothing and still physical, I'd recommend something with Rodney Yee, or a Vinyasa set like Solar Flow yoga. If you like world music and breathing technique, Maya Fiennes also has some good DVDs. I prefer the more ancient technique myself because it makes me feel so healthy and relaxed, while also getting toned, but for those who are uncomfortable with such heavy stuff, these are good middle-of-the-road choices.

A note, most yoga is actually non-exercise, so those who want to try it for stress but are afraid of the twisted poses they've seen, have plenty of great options, like Tibetan Buddhist yoga with Lama Surya Das (he's actually a cool US dude with a beard), or Yoga for Stress Relief by Barbara Benaugh (which is seriously awesome for simple poses and a lot of breathing technique).

There's a kind of yoga for everybody!

19. MixedNutz

Now that is something I would absolutely be interested in, some sort of stress relieving type of yoga. I've never really looked into the spiritual side of it for fear that it was overbearing.

20. kem

kem

I do the tree a lot. :slight_smile: And the cobra!
    I'm wishing for a proper yoga book so I can involve myself further in it. I already feel a lot more relaxed.