1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Effexor- anyone have experiences?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jsmurf, Nov 26, 2012.

1. jsmurf

So I was recently put on this antidepressant. One thing I've instantly noticed is that it has improved my attention span, and it's much easier to focus and keep my concentration on tasks. But the downsides are higher blood pressure, and the fact that it's harder for me to get erections, and takes a bit longer to bust a load if I'm masturbating. (but I'm still just as interested in dating and finding a partner)

The reduction in panic attacks and depression hasn't come yet, it'll take a month for it to take effect.

I'm going to talk to the doctor about the downsides next time I see him. Hopefully when I taper off the drug in several months it won't be too hard. Is withdrawal a big issue with this RX?

2. Alan Lewrie

I never had an issue with withdrawals from Effexor, though I also never had the erection issues with it like every other AD I've tried. Hopefully that will improve as time goes on, and hopefully you'll also see your panic attacks lessen if not go away. I will say that while it didn't stop them in my case, I suppose it did make them easier to deal with.

3. PurpleCrab

I've had terrible nightmares out of this drug. Though, the depression I was going through had me very anxious and the scenarios I imagined where pretty much turned into nightmares when I started taking it, like if my anxiety was pushed back into me.
    I had the feel of being on an unsubstantial cloud all the time, like I wasn't really living my life, and yes orgasms were delayed too but my libido wasn't altered.

All the doctors and health professionals told me very honestly that the first time you're on Effexor it usually last from 12 to 18 months before you can get off of it. That was very discouraging. And that it's very common that somebody who had an episode and was treated will have more episodes during their lives, they actually expect it.

For me though the cause of my depression was the taking of artificial hormones, so as soon as we figured that out, stopped the hormones and the depression stopped. I didn't feel like to go down smoothly with meds that had so many side effects to me so I dropped it all of a sudden. I had withdrawal symptoms for a few days (which felt like I was permanently hangover) but then it stopped.

My spouse also researched that drug and found that its usage may result in permanent sexual problems and such.

So to me, and hopefully, to the health practitioners, the usage of antidepressants is about which situation is the lesser evil of the two; to take it and facing the consequences, or not to take it and to face the consequences?

4. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was also on it for anxiety and depression. My regular doctor put me on a low dose of it, and it did absolutely NOTHING. I was still having panic attacks almost daily. So, I switched to a psychiatrist, and she immediately doubled my dose. It made me violently ill. I was off it in a week. I didn't notice any impact on my sex drive.

I'm on celexa now; it's sort of helping...maybe a bit more.

5. jsmurf

So I'm starting to break out in night sweats, which is freaking me out. In addition to the abnormally high blood pressure. Gonna talk to the doc about this to see if it's worth it.

6. alwayshope11

I was on it for a few days and felt like crap physically. My psychiatrist said they joke and call it side Effexor. He didnt prescribe it, my pcp did. So he talked to her and now I'm on Luvox which has been working pretty well.

7. canuck

My former doctor, who shouldn't be a doctor, decided to try this as alternative therapy for me for dealing with a lot of ridiculous practical and law exams I had...some public speaking. He wanted to stabalize my emotions so I wouldn't freak out.

First, I ended up VERY tired. All the time tired. I would sleep for 12+ hours and yawn all through work. I would even have naps. My sex drive was gone and my girlfriend at the time really didn't like this. I felt oddly emotionless for a while. I only seemed like I was in a better mood because some of the things that would bother me before the drug didn't bother me anymore, but the effects it had on me really bugged me. I hated being on it. Tapered myself off a few weeks later.