1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quinoa good for you? Help please

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alexander69, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so I've been eating quinoa is it good for me? Everyone was talking about malnutrition before to me because if my Terri me eating habits of 600-800 cals a day. I'm kind of scared... Really scared actually kind of is an understatement can I eat things with good nutrition an eat less? And still be healthy! Please Help me out here PLEASE!

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well.. even if you eat healthy foods in a small amount, you are still not getting enough calories. So, you still need to focus on eating more.

3. BudderMC

Generally speaking, the quantity of food affects how many calories you're taking. A calorie is simply a measure of how much energy you need to use up the food you intake. That's why there's that average number of ~2000 calories a day, because that's the amount of "fuel" you need to keep your body running. Anything less is likely dangerous.

As for healthy vs. unhealthy foods, well, they'll still provide you with the same amount of calories if you're eating an appropriate amount. The difference is that healthy foods are also full of vitamins or other things that may make them better (overall) for maintaining your body than unhealthy foods. For example, you can still eat ~2000 calories of fast food and say you're eating enough, but it doesn't mean you're eating well, since most of that is fats and salts and other bad things.

So no, you can't eat less healthy food and still be ingesting an appropriate amount of food. If you have to, make sure you're counting calories so you get the right amount.

4. Alexander69

I did this calorie intake it said to eat 1,476cals a day for weightloss........ OMG that is so much I ate 205 cals for brake fast I had 1 orange, 2 organic eggs, 1 cup coffee with soy cream

5. Ben

Ben

You'd want to eat more than 1476 calories to maintain a healthy weight.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alexander, you need a minimum of 2000 calories a day if you are remotely active. Additionally, we've been through this a dozen times. Your doctor says you are underweight, not overweight. You should not be on a low-calorie diet.

It is honestly getting really old having you start new threads covering the same issues and asking variations of the same question. Please either start taking the advice you're getting (which, you'll notice looking at your threads, is unanimous) or quit asking for advice if you have no intention of taking it.

Also, you've previously mentioned your eating disorder. Clearly there are still severe issues with your perception of your body weight and eating habits. What are you doing to get help with this issue?

7. Alexander69

I have tried to eat a higher meal and I CAN'T DO IT NY STOMACH FEELS SO FULL OMG! I can't eat my daily Intake WHAT DO I do!

8. Aquilo

I couldn't eat much when I was younger too, since my stomach felt too full too quickly when eating. What helped was having more meals a day (first I only had 2 meals a day, but I changed that to breakfast, lunch, another 'lunch' at 4 o'clock and dinner) and that seemed to help. Also I started eating larger meals (not a lot larger, but larger than I normally did), and after a while my stomach seemed bigger and it didn't feel so full anymore after eating bigger meals.

Good luck!

9. RebelD

Your stomach will stretch, just eat. And if you're worried about being healthy, stop freaking out about what to eat and just eat!

---------- Post added 28th Nov 2012 at 10:43 PM ----------

Healthy Diet For A Teenage Boy | LIVESTRONG.COM

10. Amicus

Hi Alexander,

Loss of appetite is normal for victims of restrictive eating disorders. Here are some things that helped me when I was recovering and experienced similar symptoms:

(1) Add more calorie-dense liquids to your meals. When I was restricting, I only drank water, but once I was recovering, I added a caloric beverage, usually milk or a smoothie, to my meals. Find something you like to drink and add it in: the more calories, the better.

(2) Spoonfuls of peanut butter. Quick and nutrient-dense source of calories that doesn't occupy much space in the stomach.

(3) Add nuts to your diet. A few handfuls brings in a lot of energy.

I know from experience how hard it must be for you to break away from the eating disorder. The calorie counting, the weight loss, making sure only to eat "healthy" foods---they make you feel safe. Make you believe you can be beautiful. But for the sake of your body, you need to stop restricting food intake.

To be perfectly blunt, those calorie counting websites are full of shit. They underestimate the energy needs of human bodies usually by hundreds of calories and recommend "weight loss" amounts that are below what is actually healthy for your body. I'm willing to bet that almost nobody could eat 1,476 calories and stay healthy.

Under normal circumstances, you as a young, active male should eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 2400-2700 calories per day depending on how long you sleep, how long you're up and about, how much exercise you do, etc. It's also better not to count calories at all and instead listen to your appetite cues. Generations of humans have managed to maintain healthy weights without micromanaging the amount of energy they take in.

But let's remember again that these are not normal circumstances. Your current appetite cues are not reliable because you have been dramatically restricting food intake. Your body does not just need to meet its daily needs, but repair all the damage that has been caused by your starvation. You need lots and lots of energy.

11. redstormrising

eat several small meals/snacks. every time i've been inpatient for anorexia, i had to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus morning, afternoon, and bedtime snacks. also, you've been eating such a low number of calories, you shouldn't try to go straight from that to 2000 calories/day. increase your intake in steps. if you're eating 600-800 now, try 800-1000. and then 1000-1200, and so on, until you reach a normal level.

you really need to get some therapy, though, and i'm sure you know that since you've had experience with anorexia before. can't you see how this is taking over your life? you've got a chance at a very bright future, you just need to be willing to take it. are you nervous about going to college? when i was your age i suddenly got a lot worse with anorexia, i really just wasn't ready to go off to college yet i think.