1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating way too much late at night

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by everett, Nov 27, 2012.

1. everett

Its been a issue now for years. First off I have ADHD which in turn has led me to be on Ritalin all my life. By the time it wears off, I find myself stuffing my face with snacks. Usually it starts around 9 or ten at night. I want to be able to get back in control of my eating again and any advice would be great.

2. i dont have any advice but i feel your pain. i was on ritalin for a few months and it made me eat like crazy. (*hug*)

3. BudderMC

I don't know much about Ritalin (or ADHD for that matter), but if it's something possibly induced by the drug, perhaps you could talk to your doctor about getting a different prescription?

Otherwise, if it's because you're feeling hungry, try maybe eating dinner later (say 8ish). It might leave you feeling full longer and not need to snack.

4. Bree

A trick for not binging late at night that helps me is to do all my bathroom stuff including brushing my teeth right after dinner. I don't eat again until morning after my teeth are clean.

Make sure you eat dinner BEFORE the Ritalin wears off.

5. Amicus

Hello everett,

What's your food intake like during the rest of the day? Extreme hunger and eating a lot trigger a lot of anxiety in people, but it typically only means one thing: you haven't been getting enough energy.

I'm not a doctor, but I suspect this is true in your case especially if these episodes occur once your Ritalin wears off. Are you able to eat normally throughout the day, or does the Ritalin suppress your appetite to the point where you're not able to eat regular meals? Have you experienced any significant weight changes in either direction?