1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avocados Almonds and Pecans

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by theMaverick, Nov 27, 2012.

1. theMaverick

I'm developing a near addiction to the three. I eat one avocado every day and pecans and almonds throughout the day. This is better than when I used to go to McDonalds every day, I'm certain, but is it healthy?

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

You serious??? Of course they're healthy! :lol:

They have plenty of nutrients, vitamins etc.. Mcdonalds is just bad altogether.

3. Ridiculous

The nuts in particular are very energy dense, so you shouldn't go overboard. Even though they are healthy and 'natural', you won't be able to get away with eating them too much.

For comparison, 100 grams of sugar has 1620 kilojoules, while 100g of almonds has 2491 kJ and 100g of pecans has 2964 kJ, and most of this comes from fat (52% fat in almonds and 74% fat in pecans).

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    nuts are totally healthy for you as is avocado, waaaaaaay more than McD's.

5. kem

kem

Avocadoes, almonds and pecan nuts are healthy with lots of good oils and other nutrients, true. But moderation is key; if you eat too much it doesn't matter if what you are eating too much of is healthy or not.

6. Willjarvis

While almonds are packed with fat, if you're eating them raw, you're not going to reach much of it, especially if you don't chew them that much. The human digestive system isn't built to get through plant cell walls like that. I assume pecans are similar. Here's a paper about it which involves muffins:

Manipulation of lipid bioaccessibility of almond seeds influences postprandial lipemia in healthy human subjects

That will make a lot more sense if you look at this one though:

Role of cell walls in the bioaccessibility of lipids in almond seeds

By the way, the second paper has micrographs of almond tissue sections found in feces. The're largely intact. Remember, the nutritional contents of food doesn't fully match the nutrients we can get out of them, whether the're carbohydrates or useful phenolic compounds.

7. jaysuss

I think that is completely healthy. Be careful on the nuts thought because your body may develop an allergic reaction. It happened to my dad because he ate so many and now he can't have any.

8. Isabelle

Sounds healthier then McD everyday I allergic to almonds tho

9. Ridiculous

That certainly something to consider, however even if only 50% of their energy is accessible (which is definitely an underestimate - most sources seem to say < 20%) you'll still be getting roughly the equivalent amount of energy as if you ate the same weight in processed sugar.

10. Ticklish Fish

Um... you should try other nuts and fruits too, because like, other fruits have other nutrients good for you too. :slight_smile:

(and like, why am i typing this tone right now, omg lol)

11. Yeah, overindulgence on things that are good in moderation can lead to complications.

12. rday13

rday13 Guest

I agree with the stream of this thread - moderation is key.
    An avocado a day and a handful of nuts aren't going to do you much harm, and may have some positive health benefits. Now five avocadoes a day and one too many handfuls of nuts...that might be problematic b/c of the marked increase in dietary fat and fiber. Your body needs a balanced source of nutrients, so make sure you eat from the other food groups too!
    And McDonalds may be ok for a once-in-a-while indulgence, but the guys here are right; it's got all kinds of bad in it (their nutritional labels scare me). Best to avoid it unless you're craving a salty, high fat snack. Yeah we do have cravings for that, but keeping them in check is key to staying in good health :slight_smile:

13. theMaverick

Well thanks guys! I'll continue to have my one a day avocado fix.

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2012 at 11:09 AM ----------

Oh and I've found if I'm craving salt, sprinkling a little bit of salt on the avocado totally kills the craving.

14. The Queen Bee

OMG!! ALMONDS!! lol
    My new healthy snacks are nuts, almonds and raisins... I'm going nuts with them. :grin:

Out of the three you mentioned, avocados have the lowest amount of calories.
    Nuts have good fat... You can eat those (lots of good cholesterol there), but I guess avocadoes are better.