1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety/ Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LEZmis4, Nov 27, 2012.

1. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Within the last year, I have been diagnosed with Social Anxiety and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I've been seeing a therapist, and I'm on a couple medications to manage it, but it poses a serious hurdle to overcome. I'm pretty set with the idea that I'm bisexual. I can even type it (6 months ago, I wouldn't type it...still working on saying it out loud...but that's another thread) out!

I have a friend who keeps telling me the best thing I could do is to open myself up to a relationship and see what happens...find a woman to be with and see how I feel. While I agree, my anxiety is keeping me hostage. I CANNOT make the first move...and I'm terrified to tell anyone that I'm bi. For now, aside from the two who already know, I'm safely in my little closet cocoon.

I guess my question is...how have others dealt with coming to terms with their sexuality, and dealing with anxiety disorders? I just see it as a major roadblock that will never let me be happy with anyone, because I won't talk to anyone I don't know well.

Forgive me if this isn't making sense. I'm not in a good state of mind right now, and I'm exhausted. I haven't slept or eaten in a few days...so I'm fairly incoherent, I think. :help:

2. jsmurf

:kiss:(*hug*)

As a fellow sufferer of GAD, I can tell you that there are a few techniques that help to allay the onset and severity of spontaneously-occurring panic attacks.

One is to breathe deep in and out, while holding your right palm on your stomach and concentrating ONLY on feeling your stomach rise up and down as if it's doing so "on its own", while holding your other hand close to your chest or neckline in front. This relaxes the parasympathetic nervous system.

Another technique I've found kind of useful is to laugh at the sensations, as simplistic as it is. Try to see them as an antic or form of personal amusement, observe your feelings as a detached viewer, constantly reminding yourself that your mind is in control and that these funny feelings will pass. But if they don't, then you have the added "benefit" of prodding those sensations and giving "them" a taste of their own medicine by scoffing at them out loud.

Easier said than done.

One last piece of advice is that if you were prescribed xanax, try to carry the bottle/capsules around in your pockets or purse at all times (but dont take the pills unless you really need to during a huge anxiety attack). This acts as a "safety signal" and in and of itself can help lessen or prevent future outbreaks.

#2 jsmurf, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. MixedNutz

My boyfriend has anxiety/ mid level agoraphobia.

He uses these breathing techniques also. He is was prescribed Zoloft and carries the xanex if needed. He finds the breathing and just stopping and relaxing in your own mind helps him.

4. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have klonopin...same concept at xanax. It does help, and I do carry it with me. My therapist has taught me some breathing techniques, but I like the idea of the hand on my stomach approach. It's very kinesthetic in nature, and that appeals to me. Plus...when I'm freaking out, anything that I can do to distract my head is a good thing...that's just one more thing I can do to make the crazy go away. :slight_smile:

My therapist talks about relaxing my mind. I find that soooo hard when I'm in the midst of an attack. My mind is usually racing with thoughts and worries...hard to shut it off long enough to relax my mind. But, the breathing thing does work...and I do have a comparable medication to xanax. :slight_smile:

5. PatrickORLY

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well Shybigrl4, you beat me to the punch.

I am actually having a panic attack as I write this right now. About the same thing you described (Male version). I do not know what orientation I am. I think I could be bisexual - but I wont leave my house to test the waters and figure it out. When I think about the fact that I am a 28 year old virgin - I start to really panic. It is a bit overwhelming and I become suicidal. I have seen a couple therapists, taken loads of anti-depressants, but that makes me into a zombie.

Please know that you are not alone in this. I cannot answer your question, if I could I would.

6. Koan

Koan Guest

For me there are three keys to handle anxiety.

The first one is therapy, but I think it is very much about finding a therapist and therapeutic style that works for you. I have had great results from CBT and later ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) which I think are great for anxiety. The therapy needs to be combined with exposure to anxiety provoking situations (yes, that is the hard part).

The second thing that have helped me is mindfulness meditation, yoga, breathing exercises and stuff like that.

Finally, if would say that cardio exercise means a lot to me. It just seem to lower my general level of stress and anxiety to do hard cardio work a couple of times a week (or more).

7. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, therapy is helping. Although, it's been almost a year and a half, and it's not NEARLY as improved as I had hoped. I find it hard to talk about the things that are bothering me the most. As for mindfulness and yoga...my therapist is trying to get me involved in that stuff. I just don't have time, unfortunately. I work 12 hour days during the week, and the weekend is spent grading papers and writing for my National Board Certification. It's frustrating...

I hope your attack wasn't too bad. They're awful. I get all of what you're saying. I'm not a virgin, but the idea of having to meet someone new...:eek: I just can't. It's a horrible place to be. :frowning2: Thanks for the support...that's just as good as an answer. :slight_smile:

8. bebebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I have GAD and Dysthymic disorder and I've got a cozy little corner in the closet (though I have told one of my friends).

As for the GAD. I refused to take medication for ten years (because I had a very bad reaction to the first med they prescribed me). What really helped me through those years was at least an hour of hard cardiovascular exercise a day. MY GAD tends to show physiologically (I get a lot of physical symptoms such as racing heart, sweats, shakiness and gastrointestinal stuff). When I do an hour of exercise daily than it numbs out my flight-or-fight system enough that I can function.

Once I had my son and could no longer exercise regularly, I attempted another SSRI (Zoloft) and I've had really good results. Though it may be working indirectly on my dysthymia. I am better able to concentrate (which was another huge issue for me...I was hyper-vigilant all the time leaving very little brain power for school)

Diet is also very important for me. I avoid anything that has caffeine (including chocolate and most pop) as well as limited the amount of fast-absorbing carbohydrates (starchy white grains). And I find my needs for water are also higher than others, likely because of how much my body is always going.

I also did CBT (very recommended if you can find a good practitioner) as well as some trauma work to deal with my thinking.

I'll say two things. I was pretty old when I actually broke down and did therapy/gave meds another try. I wish that I had been much more accepting/willing to pursue these arenas when I had been younger rather than just leaving it until I had a major depressive episode. One of my biggest regrets in life.

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have PTSD and depressive episodes (although other times I'm a generally cheerful person). I'm also mildly autistic.

It's odd, because in some ways, my autism makes me relatively less socially anxious than most people. I'll tell complete strangers personal details about myself. (It's why I'm out to everyone - I'm probably incapable of being in the closet because I'm such a chatterbox.)

But as soon as I try to get any closer than acquaintance, the anxiety tends to hit. I feel very insecure in any friendship I have, because I'm constantly wondering if I'll say or do something wrong and they'll suddenly start hating me (I had bullies fake friendship with me when I was younger, plus people who took disability-related traits as personal slights because I was undiagnosed). I feel very nervous about trying to be close to anyone other than my family.